NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I feel stupid that pedal recuperation has to be set on every time again and again.
at least, if it could be able to use diamond button for that….but no…press on car, select recuperarion, set it on….three clicks every time when i start driving….:headbang:
also the same steps after you change drive mode…
There is a recuperation mode control button on the steering wheel - left side, below the assignable button. If you have the Sport Chrono package, you can also configure the default recuperation mode for your individual drive configuration and it is saved for you.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Bad Software - Terrible Car! ;)
I'm fairly sure vs. other auto manufacturers yours is the minority opinion (and you are a well know and documented Tesla hater, so your calling their software bad carries very little weight) and my personal opinion Tesla's software is pretty good - certainly way better than the Porsche crap - now saying it's good doesn't mean it's perfect and doesn't have bugs - but it's way better than any other auto I've owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The software is slowly getting better. Today I was going to go up a steep driveway so I hit the lift button. The computer asked me if I would like to remember that spot via gps. Wow. New functionality! Now, that doesn’t mean it’s going to work the next time I go to that area, but at least the Taycan was polite and offered to remember the location.
My 2020 Turbo bricked at 5 days old, and has been back 3 times for computer failure issues. After the third trip back, they had to replace some module responsible for OTA updates. Things started to work better after that. Until it decided to only charge to 60-62%. I still would get enough range for my daily commute so I just let it go and hoped it would fix itself. It did that for about 2 weeks, and now it’s back to charging above 80%. It’s set to charge to 85%, but I think it gets tired and decides to stop between 82-84%. Oh well. Like people above said. It does what it does and doesn’t apologize for it’s glitchyness.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Back to the original question:
"I see a lot of complaints about software issues which seem fixable.
I’m wondering if Porsche has a good track record on other cars for fixing software issues? In which case by the time I get the car it could be a much smoother experience."

I see a lot of bugs and design issues in the 2021 that I have seen people describe in their 2020 cars, many of which seem like easy fixes. The number of issues clearly identified as fixed seems limited.
In other words, spotty record at best.

I would assume that you're getting more or less 2021 style quality, maybe some new features as part of PCM 6 or whatever, but also some new issues.

If it ends up being substantially better than that, great!
If not, you don't end up disappointed.

If software quality at the level of a 2021 taycan is a showstopper for you - I think it's safer to wait and confirm or pass. I would not be betting on a massive improvement...

(and the number of updates you'll get after taking delivery is also going to be very limited, if the last 4 months of ownership are any indication)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
There is a recuperation mode control button on the steering wheel - left side, below the assignable button. If you have the Sport Chrono package, you can also configure the default recuperation mode for your individual drive configuration and it is saved for you.
Thx for that, i'll check with that control button (yes, i have sport chrono as well)... I haven't played with individual settings yet... looks that I'll have to spend some more time, sitting in the car, learning... :angel:

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Speaking about bugs: is there any list of known bugs?

Also what bothers you the most?
I feel stupid that pedal recuperation has to be set on every time again and again.
at least, if it could be able to use diamond button for that….but no…press on car, select recuperarion, set it on….three clicks every time when i start driving….:headbang:
also the same steps after you change drive mode…
I know that it is a pain, but you can go ahead and press this button on the steering wheel and it will launch pedal recuparation (I hope I am understanding your request right). After the 1st press if you long press, an "A" shows up which is more aggressive recuperation and does not wait for only the brake pedal. HTH

Porsche Taycan Will Porsche address software issues regen

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I dont think there's a need to go to straight to Tesla just to get decent infotainment. Another middle ground (atleast for infotainment) would be Audi's system. I've always found Audi's infotainment to be pretty smooth and relatively bug free... In fact, I kinda wonder why Porsche bothers trying to do their own given that hey are part of the VW group....why not just "skin" the Audi system and be done with it. Actually, I think VW group products all do share much of the same hardware atleast-- for example I think the latest version of their infotainment system platform is called MIB3.. So maybe Porsche just needs to do even less and leave well enough alone. And of course you can get Audi's flavor of this system on the Taycan' sister car: the etron GT. Really just seems that Porsche tried to bite off more than they could chew when they set out to design the Taycan's system.

IMO, BMW makes the best overall system-- better than Tesla as well. Having that center controller makes such a big difference in ease and usability while driving too. So I suppose one could also consider the upcoming BMW i4 if you can get over the combintation of ugly yet bland styling.

Over time, Porsche will fix the bugs and make small improvments in usability. I dont expect it will happen as quickly as some may hope though. There will also be more pressure to improve it as it rolls out across their whole lineup.

Last edited:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@ujjtaycan4s thx… found it when @NC_Taycan explained (it’s a shame that i haven‘t noticed that button before :facepalm:).…so one problem less :angel:

Just a thought: doesn't "A" stands for automatic (recuperation)?
I found out that's less... recuperation when set to Automatic, but maybe I'm wrong with that too?

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Tesla build quality is mostly nearly ok
Porsche build quality is excellent - but you pay for it

The only thing wrong with a Tesla is that it’s a Tesla
The only thing wrong with the Taycan is the price (and the software and the charging network)
Agreed, and I'm willing to pay for supreme build quality and Porsche DNA. Will be interesting to see pricing of the electric Macan.

ujjtaycan4s

First Name
Ujj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
@ujjtaycan4s thx… found it when @NC_Taycan explained (it’s a shame that i haven‘t noticed that button before :facepalm:).…so one problem less :angel:

Just a thought: doesn't "A" stands for automatic (recuperation)?
I found out that's less... recuperation when set to Automatic, but maybe I'm wrong with that too?
I think the auto mode is actually a little more recuperative than the regular recuperation mode. Please look at this video and explains it all, and I think when in auto mode your car senses another car in front of you at a slow speed when it starts slowing down it's using that braking energy to charge the batteries

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think the auto mode is actually a little more recuperative than the regular recuperation mode. Please look at this video and explains it all, and I think when in auto mode your car senses another car in front of you at a slow speed when it starts slowing down it's using that braking energy to charge the batteries
I use the auto mode just as he described it

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I selected automode (manualy), but it looked as it doesn’t do anything in lower speed…. Will check thst automode tomorrow.
thank you, guys :clap:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I selected automode (manualy), but it looked as it doesn’t do anything in lower speed…. Will check thst automode tomorrow.
thank you, guys :clap:
It definitely should use recup at lower speeds as well. You can use it to slow down on local streets when approaching a stop sign where a car is already stopped ahead of you.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Back to the original question:
"I see a lot of complaints about software issues which seem fixable.
I’m wondering if Porsche has a good track record on other cars for fixing software issues? In which case by the time I get the car it could be a much smoother experience."

I see a lot of bugs and design issues in the 2021 that I have seen people describe in their 2020 cars, many of which seem like easy fixes. The number of issues clearly identified as fixed seems limited.
In other words, spotty record at best.

I would assume that you're getting more or less 2021 style quality, maybe some new features as part of PCM 6 or whatever, but also some new issues.

If it ends up being substantially better than that, great!
If not, you don't end up disappointed.

If software quality at the level of a 2021 taycan is a showstopper for you - I think it's safer to wait and confirm or pass. I would not be betting on a massive improvement...

(and the number of updates you'll get after taking delivery is also going to be very limited, if the last 4 months of ownership are any indication)
My 2021 Turbo has more bugs than I can list, but here are some:

AC noise, loud clicking/electronic typewriter sound. Was not there when I purchased it, but is now, and Porsche seems to think it is normal. No other Taycan I've been in has the noise and it is factually not "normal".

LCA, when it rains says the sensor is blocked, guess the car isn't made for the rain

My PCM changes settings all the time, with no input from me. Minor settings like upper right temp to time, or more major, logging me off while driving and putting me in guest mode (sometimes it will not let me log back on, I'm greyed out and will not activate), to the passenger display settings changing all the time, sometimes it is there, sometimes it is off. and don't get me started on XM radio, lack of antenna.

I've had parking light failures, which cured themselves, then returned. My side mirrors occasionally don't fold down, even if I depress the button to manually activate

Two days ago my car, on its own, switched to German then later back to English

On top of that, I have a brake fade, that is disconcerting at best, given I can't depend on pedal feel being the same each time I brake.

I've sent Porsche videos and pictures of all the errors, warnings and notices, but they seem to think it is all normal, or if they can't duplicate it (on a very short test drive) they just don't touch it. Mind you they have the videos of the errors, the changes, the noise etc. It boggles my mind how unreliable the systems are.

I love Porsche and have owned 911s for many years, bought three new ones in the last 5 years, but this car is not up to standard (for a vehicle over $180,000 or any vehicle) and should never have been released until it was more settled.
Sponsored