REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I ran 20” Perelli Sottozero elect last winter (already installed for this season).
Up and down the Utah and Colorado mountains skiing, a couple of thousand miles. Absolutely no problem they are wonderful tires in the snow and cold.
Sponsored

Reactions: KTC

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yep, you can daily-drive anything in winter as long as you have suitable tires. My mom drove me to and from school in western Mass all winter long in her 924. One time the snow was so high on the roads that we were shaving off the top couple of inches with the front bumper.
Love it! My dad drove me to elementary school in his ‘72 911E and later in his 944 and we lived in western MA as well. Both cars were great in the snow, except the door lock mechanisms on the 911 would freeze in the open position, leaving my dad to hold the doors shut while trying to drive after dropping us at school :CWL:

• Haha

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
20" PZero Winter on AEZ rims. Daily driver in Minnesota. No problems. I have not tried on unplowed roads, but I suppose clearance for any sedan would be bad if >6 inches of snow.

Porsche Taycan Winter daily? IMG_3247.JPG

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yep, you can daily-drive anything in winter as long as you have suitable tires. My mom drove me to and from school in western Mass all winter long in her 924. One time the snow was so high on the roads that we were shaving off the top couple of inches with the front bumper.

My RWD 550i was perfectly fine on snow, and I have no doubt my Taycan will be at least as good.

Really, it's the salt that I'm dreading.
I drove my Taycan last winter in Boston on the p zero winter elect tires. Excellent. I also came from a RWD 550, which, IMO, was not great. The AWD in the Taycan is much better.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Princeton. True, we got several days of serious snow but the season did not last that long. My Taycan still did what it had to.
Good to know for my own purposes. BTW what color did you get, assuming your PFP is your Taycan and not a Taycan.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've historically run Blizzak WS60 and WS70s in the winters on my cars. I would have an absolute blast with WS70s on my Subaru STi that was highly modified. I don't plan on doing that with my Taycan though, but with those tires and the suspension set up I had, it was basically a tank in the snow fit for the worst conditions.

Some of the areas I have to drive during the winter to get the kid to/from school don't get plowed, and we have a tendency here to get ice more than snow. I've always kept a set of extra wheels with winter tires on them in the garage and then I throw them on when any winter weather is planned (or if it happens). I don't run them all winter because I don't want to compromise on performance when there isn't any inclement weather, and I don't want to waste expensive winter rubber on dry pavement.

It really depends on what your driving needs are and if you expect to have no choice but to drive on bad roads. For anyone that isn't required to do that, or for areas that don't get much snow/ice your all seasons should be fine. For people that want to have confidence in their grip in bad weather conditions, I suggest just going the extra mile if you can and set aside some wheels/tires for the winter.

OP
OP
KTC

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It really depends on what your driving needs are and if you expect to have no choice but to drive on bad roads. For anyone that isn't required to do that, or for areas that don't get much snow/ice your all seasons should be fine. For people that want to have confidence in their grip in bad weather conditions, I suggest just going the extra mile if you can and set aside some wheels/tires for the winter.
When I lived on the east coast, I swapped summer/winter tires every year. When I lived in Silicon Valley, I ran summer tires all year long on my Porsche and all seasons on an SUV. Similar when I lived in Texas. Living in the pacific northwest however, we rarely get snow, and average temperatures don't drop below freezing much, and even if they do, they bounce back up a day or a week or two later. Swapping tires every day or even every week to get optimal performance is just impractical, so I've been running good all season tires since I've lived here, seems to do the trick with only a day or two per winter where I wish I had winter tires (but on those days, as you might have noticed living around here, most people panic when there is an inch of snow on the ground and most people don't leave their homes).
I think both of these really hit the issue on the head -- "need" is subjective and depends a lot on everyone's unique situation, and even though @whitex and I are both in the same region, we might have different needs. Do snow tires lower my risk of getting into a crash compared to all seasons by 10%, 20%, or 50%? Who knows. Will I regret not getting snows if I'm lying in the trauma ICU or paying 25k to repair the Taycan? Absolutely.

Unfortunately for work I need to be onsite, and can get paged in at any time of the night, even during bad unplowed snowstorms. And even with moderate inclines in our area, our SUV could be sliding at 15-20 mph on the all seasons. If I could always work remotely, probably the decision would be the same as WhiteX.

Everyone's testimony here, though, of the Taycan as a daily driver in their snow storms is really helpful!

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I think both of these really hit the issue on the head -- "need" is subjective and depends a lot on everyone's unique situation, and even though @whitex and I are both in the same region, we might have different needs. Do snow tires lower my risk of getting into a crash compared to all seasons by 10%, 20%, or 50%? Who knows. Will I regret not getting snows if I'm lying in the trauma ICU or paying 25k to repair the Taycan? Absolutely.

Unfortunately for work I need to be onsite, and can get paged in at any time of the night, even during bad unplowed snowstorms. And even with moderate inclines in our area, our SUV could be sliding at 15-20 mph on the all seasons. If I could always work remotely, probably the decision would be the same as WhiteX.

Everyone's testimony here, though, of the Taycan as a daily driver in their snow storms is really helpful!
I think that is a good summary. I will just add that "all season" can mean a lot of things. I have driven all season tires that are closer to summer tires and some that were almost as good as dedicated winter tires. Each tire model is very unique and it is hard to know where a given tire model sits on the spectrum until you have driven it in the snow a fair bit.

I have driven my Taycan's Continental all season tires in light snow, but not enough to tell you where they sit on the spectrum. (Because the weather is so unpredictable in Colorado, I run winter tires in the winter, and all seasons in the summer.)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Will I regret not getting snows if I'm lying in the trauma ICU or paying 25k to repair the Taycan? Absolutely.
A tad dramatic perhaps? What about the performance decrease of winter tires on warm winter days in the PNW? What if that extra foot and half of stopping distance (all season vs. winter tire in 59F, like yesterday's temps) was what stood between safety and the ICU, will you regret not getting the all-season tires then?;)

Porsche Taycan Winter daily? 1637007917007

The above is from the video linked earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately for work I need to be onsite, and can get paged in at any time of the night, even during bad unplowed snowstorms. And even with moderate inclines in our area, our SUV could be sliding at 15-20 mph on the all seasons.
I agree with you that different people/situations have different needs. Based on your described need to drive through unplowed snow though, your best bet might be putting winter tires on the SUV and use that for unplowed snow - best tool for the job approach.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What about the performance decrease of winter tires on warm winter days in the PNW?
As I've always done, only put the tires on when you need them, and take them off otherwise. Don't run them needlessly. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to swap wheels out right before / after a storm hits, and swap them back out afterward, but you don't sacrifice performance using them unnecessarily, and you don't waste expensive winter rubber. That's my .02.

This is especially true for people that run summers, but I think it's still applicable for people that run all seasons depending on their circumstances.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I again will state that unless you are driving in snow a lot there are better solutions. People who try to state all seasons are no seasons are buying crap all season tires.

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Use my Taycan as a DD as well as the mountain cabin express & snowplow all year round. Definitely dedicated winter tires, Nokian Hakka 3s on 20” Momos. Works a charm, see some of my posts from last winter;
Cold weather experiences
Norwegian winter

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Keith (KTC) live a few miles away and work at the same place and we were talking about this last evening. This week we’ve had
snow/ice and freezing temps. I’ve been driving my 2021 4s all week with the 20 turbos/all seasons that came with the car. As I told him I find the weight and low center of gravity paired with the awd make it a great car for the snow. I put the car in range mode (helps decrease the boost and helps a little on range) increase the height of the air suspension and I put the regen braking on which allows you to slow without hitting the brakes. Works great. I’m sure even better with dedicated winter tires and can’t wait to see his set up. I used to run winters on my panamera gts and even my old 911 turbo S when I lived on a crazy hill part of Seattle (queen Anne). I found The storage and swapping of tires is a bit of a PITA for me plus when I eventually sell the car (usually 12-24 months) you have to deal with getting rid of the set and shipping tires. I now have a 2022 pts turbo S on order which just finished production. Not sure how the 21 mission E with the huge boost in torque will do but hopefully the same as my 4s??
Sponsored