First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Just got back from the dealership. Here is my experience:
1. Service guys were awesome - schedule on short notice, bend over backward to help
2. All parties (service people and myself) got frustrated with the speed of the update (this was the first Taycan they updated). I brought in the car at ~ 9AM, at 1 PM it was still downloading..... All done by 4:30 PM (as pointed out above, some cars may need 2 updates). To quote one of them "we thought Panamera updates were difficult / complex; this is in a different ballpark". So be prepared for a full day or even overnight service if you go now. The service slot is automatically booked for 2 hours. I can imagine the service is not happy when the car occupies a place just downloading for hours on end..... Porsche had to find a different solution - download to USB, local computer, whatever.....
3. As mentioned above, nothing is different - which is good, considering all bits and pieces worked well in my car.
4. For someone like me who lives 90 miles from the closest dealership, OTA is gold. I echo previous comments on Tesla - 3 cars, 5 years, I did not event count how many updates, all flawless in my case.

On a separate note, since yesterday evening (i.e., prior to update, but after the introduction of the WLG2 campaign, my car can no longer be reached through the Porsche server (vehicle not available). Annoying, since remote climate control depends on that connection.

Even worst, this morning I got into the car to enable direct charge for the trip to Minneapolis (could not select my trip charging profile since "vehicle is unavailable"). With the phone in the car, and clear connection between car and phone, the Porsche connect app does diddly squat.... It still says "vehicle unavailable" even if it is clearly connected to the PCM.

Obviously, Apple Music does not work on PCM ("no connection, try again later").

I hope this is all related to the server being overwhelmed by the updates and it comes back to some sort of functioning status over the week-end.
Sometimes you need to call the Porsche Connect helpline. Maybe the kick the server. Or something.
Sponsored

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
Scheduled for Wednesday. The tech said minimum four hours. They didn’t even have the update downloaded. I just picked it up yesterday from tint and ceramic, and they didn’t have any idea about the update. Called this morning after seeing this thread.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think a lot of Dealers will find they not only need to have onsite charging but they will also need to invest in 1 or 2 Gigabit managed fiber connections for downloads and testing as the cars will have huge data systems...
I would agree with on-site charging, but I hope they will be able to stage Updates onto a 256GB memory stick or such and just apply to vehicle that way. They can do a nightly download of images and the car pull what is needed. That's the common software practice for firmware updates. No need to have car connect to internet except to report stats to mother.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Likely everything has to be done through PIWIS, and Porsche isn't going to want firmware running around on USB sticks. By 'download' I imagine they mean downloading to the car from the shop software, not from the internet. The interface to the shop software isn't super-fast.

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any chance that this software update has brought wireless Apple CarPlay?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Likely everything has to be done through PIWIS, and Porsche isn't going to want firmware running around on USB sticks. By 'download' I imagine they mean downloading to the car from the shop software, not from the internet. The interface to the shop software isn't super-fast.
No, it did not. As far as I can tell all user interface is unchanged.

Pouria

First Name
Pouria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4S, had Taycan 4S 2020.
Country flag
Had mine updated yesterday and it only took them about two hours or so to download and install. It depends on the shops internet connection how fast the update takes I guess. We are spoiled with fast internet connections here in Sweden.

Haven't seen or felt anything change because of the update. Had the PCM reboot once after the update. Took 10 seconds and the screen was back up. No drama but I was driving the car at that moment.

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So basically nothing obvious has changed. Think I’ll just wait to upgrade. Thanks for the heads up!

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So basically nothing obvious has changed. Think I’ll just wait to upgrade. Thanks for the heads up!
Read (or re-read) reply #14 in this thread.

My advice would be: You want this update. But it’s your choice, of course.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
If it helps de-risk the 12V battery issue I definitely want it. Even if it doesn't really improve things. I will have it done soon.

Tcar20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don, as always, thank you for your insight.

OTA's are a "nice to have" for me, and that is about it. More importantly, I really am hoping the updates I got yesterday, and you got today, will take care of the 12v battery issues we experienced.

Guess we will find out!!
I’m new to the forum, although a 25 year Porsche owner and fan. I took delivery of my Taycan 4S on 7/2 and had it flatbedded away yesterday.

The dealer says it’s the 12v battery that’s gone bad. Hopefully a new battery and updated software will take car of things...I can tolerate issues with “toys” but not daily drivers. Boston area dealers are woefully under informed on this car.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m new to the forum, although a 25 year Porsche owner and fan. I took delivery of my Taycan 4S on 7/2 and had it flatbedded away yesterday.

The dealer says it’s the 12v battery that’s gone bad. Hopefully a new battery and updated software will take car of things...I can tolerate issues with “toys” but not daily drivers. Boston area dealers are woefully under informed on this car.
The battery has bad firmware that allows the car to draw it down too far.

The replacement battery will have better firmware. That problem will be fixed once you have the new battery and the updates to latest software.

FYI: The battery can probably be recharged and your car will be “ok” (read: not likely to repeat the failure). You should still get the new upgraded battery, but IF the dealership wants to keep your car for two weeks waiting for a new battery, ask for them to just recharge that one and call you back when the new battery arrives.

Tcar20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The battery has bad firmware that allows the car to draw it down too far.

The replacement battery will have better firmware. That problem will be fixed once you have the new battery and the updates to latest software.

FYI: The battery can probably be recharged and your car will be “ok” (read: not likely to repeat the failure). You should still get the new upgraded battery, but IF the dealership wants to keep your car for two weeks waiting for a new battery, ask for them to just recharge that one and call you back when the new battery arrives.
Thank you.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I would agree with on-site charging, but I hope they will be able to stage Updates onto a 256GB memory stick or such and just apply to vehicle that way. They can do a nightly download of images and the car pull what is needed. That's the common software practice for firmware updates. No need to have car connect to internet except to report stats to mother.
I would hope no dealer ever directly connect a car to the internet. I just think "Mother" will want to see and confirm in real time that the files are received by the dealer and with ALL cars now needing huge files uploaded and downloaded daily a dealer with a non managed connection might have corrupt files or need to do multiple attempts to download a "clean" file and in doing so delay the return of the car to the owner.
Sponsored