Worth getting a 4S with Limited Options?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm trading in my 18-year-old Acura MDX, which I use to move stuff when I get my Taycan 4S. I'm most definitely not going to use the Taycan to move anything but people and even then only if they pass inspection :cool:

I asked my wife if I could pick up my hobby stuff in her Acura RDX (woodworking, etc.). The answer was no, so I put a deposit down on a small truck as well. I was also reminded that "we" had decided to buy an electric Macan for her car if everything works out with the Taycan and she definitely won't let me load up her Macan, if we buy it, and maybe not even drive it ?
What small truck? People have been raving about the Ford Maverick.
Sponsored

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
What small truck? People have been raving about the Ford Maverick.
I'm getting a 2WD Toyota Tacoma SR5 (V6) Double Cab with a 5' bed and the bed extender. It will be almost exclusively used for utility runs to COSTCO, hobby (lumber pickup), etc. I was looking for a used one, but a 2017 SR5 over 50k miles was selling for about $1k less than a brand new one so I put a deposit down on one that should arrive next month.

It will be living outside since our cars and my MC take up all the slots in our garage.

P.S. It will also be used to transport my bikes when necessary.

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for the response. So, RAS isn't a deal-breaker but more of a nice to have option in your opinion? The car I'm looking at is $121k without RAS and I can't find a car with both RAS and ACC for less than $10k more. Lots of Taycans seem to have either RAS or ACC but it's rare to have both. I do lots of highway driving and I'm used to Tesla smart cruise so ACC is essential for me. This vehicle is nearly new and in pristine condition. Sounds like I should probably just go with it and deal with the parking lots!
Sounds like a great deal. In my area, I am seeing dealers charge a $15k premium just to be put on the wait list. And used Taycans going for $140k. Even some RWD cars are fetching a nice price.

As far as RAS goes, one of the posters said it best. Go with your gut. You will find for and against arguments across the board. It will drive you crazy. Even what I thought would be no brainer options (PDCC) to not go with, was met with plenty of opinions on why it was needed.

Re RAS -- if in the back of your mind, you are going to continually have a feeling of regret or that you missed out on something, wait. But if you feel you will enjoy the Taycan as is and be happy with the ACC (which seems like a must have for you) than go for it. I will save you my opinion on RAS to avoid getting lambasted on this post. ;)

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model X, Hyundai Santa Fe
Country flag
The other thing you must understand is that there are often strong views expressed on forums relating to any option you can find. These range from the view that the option is unnecessary all the way through to the view that the car is worthless and wouldn’t be a real Porsche without it. Spend some time having a read through any options thread on this forum and you will see what I mean. The “better” posts explain why they do/don’t have or need an option. Others don’t. To some extent you won’t miss what you have never had - why not see if you can have an extended test drive. Take it home. Park it. Drive it. I suspect you will love and buy - but if not, at least you will have answered your question.
Very true. I have definitely noticed this. Unfortunately, there are no nearby Taycans for an extended test drive. There aren't even any 4S or Turbos to test drive in the state that I have come across. I drove 2 hours just to test drive a RWD Taycan.

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are there any other used Taycans around that you could test drive with RAS and SC, so you could decide for yourself?

Have you test driven the one you’re interested in yet, and tested its radius in a parking lot?
The only vehicle I found to test drive was a RWD about 2 hours away. It did not have RAS or SC. I did not find the steering radius to be bad but I can't compare it to the RAS.

OP
OP

bdy0627

First Name
brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like a great deal. In my area, I am seeing dealers charge a $15k premium just to be put on the wait list. And used Taycans going for $140k. Even some RWD cars are fetching a nice price.

As far as RAS goes, one of the posters said it best. Go with your gut. You will find for and against arguments across the board. It will drive you crazy. Even what I thought would be no brainer options (PDCC) to not go with, was met with plenty of opinions on why it was needed.

Re RAS -- if in the back of your mind, you are going to continually have a feeling of regret or that you missed out on something, wait. But if you feel you will enjoy the Taycan as is and be happy with the ACC (which seems like a must have for you) than go for it. I will save you my opinion on RAS to avoid getting lambasted on this post. ;)
Great perspective. I suspect for the first few days I may wonder how much tighter of a turning radius I could do if it had RAS, but I doubt that concern would linger long. On the other hand, no way would I do regular highway driving without ACC.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only vehicle I found to test drive was a RWD about 2 hours away. It did not have RAS or SC. I did not find the steering radius to be bad but I can't compare it to the RAS.
Honestly, if you were fine with the car, just don’t drive a RAS car and you’ll never know what you’re missing.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
First car I drove with RAS was mine; all my test drives were without it and I never felt it was lacking in terms of handling or steering. Certainly the turn circle is great, but I really would not put it on the must have unless you do a lot of driving in confined areas.

I would imagine now I would maybe miss it, but, as others have said, if you haven’t had it you most likely won’t miss it. This was my first car with it and it was part of the performance pack.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Thanks for the response. So, RAS isn't a deal-breaker but more of a nice to have option in your opinion?
For me, it is a very nice to have. I have a driveway that requires a couple of tight turns, so it would be an every day, multiple times a day reminder. If you're not in a similar situation, I think it would be fine. It's a great car!

Dr.Ericthedrill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Audi RS3, Nissan Serena
Country flag
I have a very lightly specced 4S.
The car prices in my city is crazy with 110% on road tax (options are also taxed 110%).
All I have is sports chrono, 5th seat, 22KW fast charge , electric mirrors and that's it.
Glass roof is standard so is the air suspension.
For me this is more than enough. I don't feel I need anything else of course unless its free.
The car drives, parks as it should. Yes its a big car but nothing you can't over come in parking with a little more care.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Great points, thanks! I did configure it out. MSRP new is $126,610. I'm getting it at $120,995. It's essentially giving the dealer the tax credit but getting an extended warranty on a car that is truly hardly used at 700 miles. My head says get this one. My heart is what's making me question the lack of RAS (and insulated windows). In truth, I'm sure this car will still drive beautifully even without the RAS, and it will still be pretty quiet without those insulated windows.
I have a very similar car without RAS and without insulated windows. Friends that have ridden in the car always comment on 'how quiet this car' is. I feel the same when I drive it - pretty darn quiet.

I have not drive a car with RAS so I cannot speak from experience...............but from seat of the pants feel my car without RAS is just fine. We don't have narrow streets/parking places so I might not be a good judge but can say that I have never had a problem parking the car where I think RAS would probably offer the best value. But I can say that long sweepers onto and off of the expressway ramps can be taken at speed..............................without RAS.?

jasonh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
You are overthinking this! Go take an extended test drive. Try it on the highway and in tight parking lots. If you love it - buy it. The price is right.

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Just FYI. I went to a showroom and
You are overthinking this! Go take an extended test drive. Try it on the highway and in tight parking lots. If you love it - buy it. The price is right.
One last comment. You stated the most important thing to you was having ACC. If so, don't let not having RAS ruin the fun. Yes -- RAS will help you make a tighter U Turn but it is not like you will crash the car without it.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
GO FOR IT
I had a 4S for 18 months - Didn't have RAS - Didn't Miss it
You don't need performance pack unless you want to go sub 8 minutes
at the 'Ring
You want one now you have to pay up
My 4S was £90k - Lightly specced
It was beautiful, you really dont need to go mad on spec
Now its for sale.....
Used 2020 Porsche TAYCAN 4S £103,980 7,000 miles GREY | Auto 100
Only thing I REALLY missed was auto dimming mirrors
I would also have black window trim now
Otherwise I wouldn't change anything else
Best thing about 4S is no Sports Chrono with the pointless stupid second hand
going round and round and round and round with the crap digital clock in the carbuncle
which spoils the dash
I am waiting on a GTS.............Have to suck up Sports Chrono
I am going to get a knitted cover made
Sponsored