Porsche Mobile Charger Connect vs Mobile Charger Plus

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
it will also be interesting to see if Porsche finally admits the North American Taycan is an 11 kW EV because once they have a Porsche PMCC @ 19.2 kW if you plug in a normal Taycan into that Porsche charger it will charge at the 11 kW rate we all know the Taycan supports - and then Porsche will be forced to admit the North American 9.6 kW limit is pure marketing BS.
How refreshing! :like: A marketing department which under-promises and over-delivers. I'm an long time Tesla customer, so I'm used to the opposite, over-promise, under-deliver (and all late too), for example:
  • 691hp power advertised, 463 delivered - excuse: motors are capable, but not with the battery and inverted that ships with that car
  • "the car will find you anywhere on private property" advertised, "car will drive 40ft forward or backwards while you hold a dead-man switch" delivered
  • "you will be able to swap batteries instead of charging in less than it takes to fill up a gas car" promised, proof of concept which took 30-45mintes to swap batteries delivered in one place in the USA only, and available to closed group of beta tester customers only
  • etc
Sponsored

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
Anyone seen or know the differences between the mandatory Porsche Mobile Charger and the Plus version which is coming in June?

from : https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/charging-18558.html

• The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect combines intelligent charging functions with network and Internet connectivity. It can be used to charge the vehicle with 11 kW. With the "price-optimised charging" function, daytime and night-time periods, during which electricity is cheaper, are also used specifically for charging. Operation is intuitive via the five-inch touch display. Data such as the battery's current charging status and the remaining charging time can either be displayed on the screen or on a smartphone or tablet linked to it. Thanks to its WiFi functionality, the Mobile Charger Connect can also be networked with the Home Energy Manager so that intelligent charging functions can be used at home.
  • With the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (available from mid-2020), the Taycan can be charged at home or on the road with a maximum of 11 kW. With its compact dimensions and weighing less than three kilograms, it is easy to transport. A wall bracket is supplied and can be mounted in the garage. The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus is then simply and securely attached using a clip-in system. With the Porsche Charging Dock Pedestal bracket and the attractively designed Porsche Compact Pedestal, both chargers are protected against external influences such as rain or vandalism. The devices can be removed from the docks.
Are both of these still around?! I took delivery on a '22 RWD and got the Mobile Charger Connect. I do not recall a Plus version but my charger is portable and "intelligent" and comes with 2 braids and clips into the wall unit. It also came with a $0 option for a 25 foot cord which I got.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Are both of these still around?! I took delivery on a '22 RWD and got the Mobile Charger Connect. I do not recall a Plus version but my charger is portable and "intelligent" and comes with 2 braids and clips into the wall unit. It also came with a $0 option for a 25 foot cord which I got.
The standard EVSE is the 'plus' model (11kW - 9.6kW actual). Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) is the 22 kW (19.6kW) additional cost EVSE where you can add the longer free cable - as you have done.

Porsche Mobile Charger (non plus) is the old model so make sure you don't end up with this one - you shouldn't however.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The standard EVSE is the 'plus' model (11kW - 9.6kW actual). Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) is the 22 kW (19.6kW) additional cost EVSE where you can add the longer free cable - as you have done.
Not correct for the US. Both are 9.6kW in US.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have seen the Mobile Charger Connect and it's a big heavy thing that will take up a lot of space in the trunk if one should choose to bring it on the road for emergency charging. I already have a very small and light ChargeAmps mobile charger for that purpose. I also have a 22 kW charger in the garage so for me this forced option is nothing but a very expensive joke.

The Mobile Charger Plus will do pretty much the same job as the Mobile Charger Connect, i.e. charge the car with up to 11 kW. I refuse to believe that Porsche can not deliver this free standard charger until mid-2020. I am 100% sure that this is just another example of Porsche squeezing as much money as possible from of their customers :angry:
I don’t believe they offer both. It is just the mobile charger connect. And it does what the Plus says. And what do you define as big ? It’s about the size of a shoe box with an 8 or 25 foot cable

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Porsche Mobile Charger (non plus) is the old model so make sure you don't end up with this one - you shouldn't however.
Thank you. Makes sense now.

porscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TTS CT
Country flag

In the US, the newest Porsche charger capable of 19.2 kW speeds (80amp, 240V) is called “Porsche Wall Charger Connect” and you don’t pick the cable length (from EVSE to car)—it’s standard at 14.8 feet or 4.5 m.

Porsche Wall Charger Connect

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Connect vs Mobile Charger Plus 9343E477-4507-4FD9-B0DA-B7BAC0A3DCDF

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess most people could figure that out.
Probably not the people asking questions about it that you’re responding to though, huh?? otherwise, why would they be asking in the first place?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t believe they offer both. It is just the mobile charger connect. And it does what the Plus says. And what do you define as big ? It’s about the size of a shoe box with an 8 or 25 foot cable
Thank you. Makes sense now.
@tomdfw1

The mobile charger plus is the standard EVSE that comes free with the car. It’s 9.6kW and has a (roughly) 15’ cable.

The mobile charger connect is an option that replaces the mobile charger plus if you select it. It’s also 9.6kW, but has a longer cable option, wifi, and more control over charging current.

There is also a wall charger connect that I believe is basically a hardwired 19.2kW version of the mobile charger connect.

Last edited:

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Is it possible to limit that maximum charging current of AC charging to 6A ? I am asking because sometimes on rental holiday homes or campground you only have a 230V, 6 Ampere socket. (in europe)
I know a Tesla as a user interface to configure that in the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Depends on the EVSE (charging equipment) that you have.

The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect has a user interface to throttle back amps and the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus has a 100% or 50% button to limit current but less precise.

Non Porsche devices / associated apps should have something similar.

There is no feature in the car to manage the current flow.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Depends on the EVSE (charging equipment) that you have.

The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect has a user interface to throttle back amps and the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus has a 100% or 50% button to limit current but less precise.

Non Porsche devices / associated apps should have something similar.

There is no feature in the car to manage the current flow.
That's a pity. That means I have to buy a 3rd party charger to be able to charge at 6A on holidays.
Extra points for Tesla.