wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I sold a 991.1 S coupe, 7 speed with very loud sport exhaust for the Taycan. I don't regret doing it.
If I could still have that car, would I? Yes of course. The 991 is a blast to drive, very fast in a very different way, but funny enough the Taycan gets more interest and attention that even the 911 does. I know I will have another 911 someday- if I were to do it right now I would add a 992 Carrera T to the mix in PTS, but I'm not about to have 2 $130k cars.
I sold the 911 in part because it was barely getting used (relatively), couldn't bear to be taking it on short trips where it didn't even warm up, and it was still very low miles and worth a lot of money. I don't think the 991 is going to be a "collectible" any time soon.
The Taycan is an exceptional car in a very different way. If you are okay with your car needs taking a different turn, and getting a different kind of enjoyment out of a car for a while, I would totally do that. Its fast, comfortable, exhilarating, economical to run (relatively).
I would love to add a relatively cheap, fun light classic sports car to the mix that has hit bottom in depreciation- a little old 914 would be fun to add to the mix for something completely different and off the wall. Just my $0.02.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
we are about to take delivery of a brand new Tesla Y
I rented a Model Y for a few days. As a utilitarian transport vehicle it was fine. The suspension really sucks though. You’ll have a much better idea if it’s acceptable to you after it arrives. Then you can decide if it’s the direction you want to keep going or if you want to switch to the Taycan. BTW… I have 2 sons who are football players… 6’ 4” 295 and 6’ 1” 195. The back of our Cross Turismo works just fine for them.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Model 3 and Y suspensions can be dramatically improved with after market shocks and such - with the recent price cuts and even factoring in after market shock upgrade, it's an affordable and excellent option and places it among the best cars in their class

I highly recommend Mountainpass shocks/coil-over Tesla solutions - their shocks transformed my 2018 Model 3 Performance for less money than a set of tires for my Taycan.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Given that your wife will take out the Taycan but not the 911 I would stick with the 911 and it will always be in the garage when you go out. Otherwise you might end up in the Volvo :)

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I came from a 911 GTS. If life had an UNDO button, I'd be slamming it.

Specifically relevant for me:
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.

No, no you can't. Unless your adults are all small, and the drive is short.

My 9 year old complains every damn day about the lack of space in the back - really not all that different from the 911.

My vote: keep the 911. If you need an eco friendly people mover and don't want to blow the budget, look into a little EV in addition to the 911.
Spoiled brat 🤣 My kids would accept being hauled in the trunk as long as it's a porsche and my wife sat in the back for 35 min and still loved it.

I sat in the back of a gts to confirm headroom and damn, I had more leg space than in a C class Mercedes which I own. How they managed that beats me (compare a BMW 1 series or the Mercedes A class to know what lack of space is)

But anyway, I guess space depends really of what one is used to.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Simple.

The Taycan isn't a convertible.
the lack of being convertable or even and opening top is why my wife has a Cayenne and not a Taycan CT.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I traded a 991.1 Targa 4S on my first Taycan.

I miss it. However, I cannot go back to ICE at this point; combustion engines just seem stupidly overcomplicated and underpowered to me now.
yeah EV ruins you for gas cars - there is no going back

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I recently joined this forum and would love you opinions

I’ve been a happy Porsche driver for 15 years. First a Boxster S convertible and currently a 991S Carrera Cabriolet manual.

I‘ve gotten great joy from my 911. I love driving with the top down, zipping along the winding backroads near my house, running the car through its gears with the 7 speed stick. But it might be time to move on.

my wife has been grumbling. the 911 can’t comfortably seat four adults, the ride is rough for passengers, the cabin is noisy, I can’t safely drive the rear wheel drive 911 in inclement weather, and she hates driving a stick so has literally driven my car once in 7 years. Our youngest has taken our third car out to San Fran, and my wife is tired of my always using her Volvo XC90 and wants me to get a different car that would be a bit more practical.

Wife likes the Taycan. She like the ride, and says she would be happy to drive it (as apposed to the 911), and likes the fact that it would be new and near maintenance free

But I love my 911 and am still waffling about making the move to a Taycan.

So the Pros for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan are:

1- my wife hates driving a stick and would happily drive the Taycan
2- the ride is rough in the 911 and quite a bit more comfortable in the Taycan
3- my wife dislikes the noisiness of the 911 and would much prefer the more quiet Taycan
4- as a 4 seater automatic the Taycan is more practical. I can fit 4 adults in it and my adult children can drive it when home.
4- we like the idea of moving to the future and the high tech that EV's have to offer
5- less maintenance and no gas bill

The Cons for me of switching from a 911 to a Taycan

1- My 911 is a stick and oh so fun to drive
2-my 911 is a convertible
3-my 911 is a 991.1 so is likely to become a more desirable collectible car
4- the car is already depreciated
5- EV's are still newer technology and Porsche is still new to the game- concern about bugginess

So help me to decide!

Cheers!!
Magic 8-ball chatGPT's opinion is:

Hi there!

It's great to hear that you've enjoyed driving your Porsche 911 for 15 years and that you're now considering switching to a Porsche Taycan. Your list of pros and cons for making the switch is comprehensive.

In terms of the cons, it's understandable that you love driving your 911 as a stick and convertible, and that the 991.1 model may become a collectible car in the future. However, it's also important to consider your wife's comfort and enjoyment in driving, and the practicality of a 4-seater car for your family.

Regarding the concern about the newness of EV technology, it's worth noting that Porsche has invested heavily in electric vehicles and has a strong reputation for producing high-quality cars. Additionally, the benefits of electric vehicles, such as lower maintenance costs and a reduced environmental impact, are becoming increasingly attractive to many car owners.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to switch to a Taycan will depend on your individual priorities and what's most important to you. Consider taking a test drive in the Taycan and see how it feels. Good luck!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Those that are hard core into the 911 as a sports car would likely not ask the question.
^This. A paid-for, fully-depreciated, occasionally-driven car is really not a burden. If garage space/parking outside is indeed a concern that outweighs the joy and benefits of keeping that fun car, then the question answers itself.

I know I will have another 911 someday- if I were to do it right now I would add a 992 Carrera T to the mix in PTS, but I'm not about to have 2 $130k cars.

[snip]
I would love to add a relatively cheap, fun light classic sports car to the mix that has hit bottom in depreciation- a little old 914 would be fun to add to the mix for something completely different and off the wall. Just my $0.02.
May I recommend a 996?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Magic 8-ball chatGPT's opinion is:
This ChatGPT fad cannot die soon enough. The fact that it can be persuasive and wrong makes it borderline dangerous. "Porsche has a strong reputation for producing high-quality cars." In the right context, sure. ;-)

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
There is a key element- who is each car for…….. you=911, wife-Taycan…… think the most pressing question is: who are you picking for?, if you, then you already own the solution, if it’s for the wife……..tell her if she wants one then tell her to go and buy one - simple.

Last edited:

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
the lack of being convertable or even and opening top is why my wife has a Cayenne and not a Taycan CT.
Well, I was thinking from a sports car perspective. I think most people don't care about extra flex/weight that a sunroof/convertible brings to a car. I'm from the camp that a 911 should be a pure sports car, without the sunroof, without a convertible...but demand says otherwise :)