daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
this is the Mustart offering -32 amps - and a wide range of NEMA plug adapters available:

https://www.mustartsolutions.com/pr...rent-mustart-travelmaster-level2-ev-charger-1

the Mustart has the following NEMA Adatpers

• 10-30
  • 10-50
  • 14-30
  • 6-20
  • 6-50
  • TT-30
this is the Tesla UMC Gen2 Offering - and a wide range of NEMA plug adapters available - the Taycan is about the same as a Model S - so the miles-range/hour of charge is about that column

$275 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle
$220 - https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 1.03.23 PM

https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/new-tesla-model-3-gen-2-charging-adapters/

this site has a number of "interesting" adapter for the Tesla UMC Gen2 that offers additional plug compatibility beyond what Tesla offers on their site. Most interesting to me from that site is the TT-30 adapter for the Tesla UMC Gen2 - a common plug type at race track paddocks and RV parks & campgrounds.

for any particular 50 or 30 amp plug that one offers vs. another - there are adapter to covert a 6-50 to a 10-50 - and since the amps are the same they are safe to use - example mustart offering a 10-50 is not a deal breaker for the Tesla UMC cause a 6-50 to 10-50 adapter is is $29 from amazon.

for those of you new to this conversation - I will emphasize this level of mobile charging preparation is mostly un-necessary and you will experience very very very low utilization - but you will be prepared to charge your EV most anywhere in North America - but in terms of how often you use this and is it worth it - you have to be a bit nuts to go this deep in the rabbit hole.

people interested in the "blue pill" and following us down he EV charging rabbit hole can review this thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/page-6#post-32235

a rough cost analysis of Mustart vs. Tesla UMC was done here

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/#post-18063
Sponsored

Last edited:

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
in my case that is correct - I have always guessed it was because I ordered the dock as part of the order. It could also be a mistake on my order and I just didn't receive the basic mount but I was supposed to.

so obtaining the "basic wall mount" is another $170 unless you can guilt your dealer into comping you for it cause the charger in the dock is over heating…

I believe if you just order the PMCC - the basic wall mount is included - if you order the Dock they "drop" the basic wall mount and only deliver the PMCC and the Dock - that means you really should order the "dock" off book and separately - rather than with your vehicle order, because you'll get the basic "dock" then for "free"

I documented the exact PMCC parts that came with my 2020 Taycan Turbo in this thread

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-for-the-porsche-mobile-charger-connect.1820/
This was my experience as well. Ordered the Porsche dock as part of my build and did not receive the basic wall mount.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The basic wall mount is the black plastic piece inside the dock. If you don’t want to use the dock just remove the two torx screws and the mount the plastic piece directly to the wall. I was going to install the dock and decided it was over engineered for a garage install and just installed the plastic piece.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The basic wall mount is the black plastic piece inside the dock. If you don’t want to use the dock just remove the two torx screws and the mount the plastic piece directly to the wall. I was going to install the dock and decided it was over engineered for a garage install and just installed the plastic piece.
The plastic wall mount is two parts that have to be joined first (press fit). The smaller part is the latch that allows you to make the PMCC mobile.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The plastic wall mount is two parts that have to be joined first (press fit). The smaller part is the latch that allows you to make the PMCC mobile.
This is my setup. Again, the black plastic piece was taken directly out of the dock.
Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated BBDA3193-AA99-4C8C-9EA8-19D7FAE2E959

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated EF4D7A91-95B0-4A05-923C-1E7EF56B01BA

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
This is my setup. Again, the black plastic piece was taken directly out of the dock.
BBDA3193-AA99-4C8C-9EA8-19D7FAE2E959.jpeg

EF4D7A91-95B0-4A05-923C-1E7EF56B01BA.jpeg
Very nice. Someone pressed the two parts together for you. The top latch is a separate piece.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Very nice. Someone pressed the two parts together for you. The top latch is a separate piece.
I have the basic mount. It looks very similar except for the cord guide at the top. I remember pressing the two pieces together during assembly.
Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated PMCC_01

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I had heat issues with my charger as well. It got so hot I could hardly hold onto it. I had to reduce to <35 amp charging. After numerous back and forths with my dealership, they thought the best course of action would be to replace the charger with a new one as they were hearing that there were many faulty PCMM's out there. They gave me a new one from an unsold Taycan on the lot and ever since I have had no problems charging at 40amps. It get slightly warm but nothing nlike the first charger did.

bgatxy1

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, RRS, Taycan4S
Country flag
I had heat issues with my charger as well. It got so hot I could hardly hold onto it. I had to reduce to <35 amp charging. After numerous back and forths with my dealership, they thought the best course of action would be to replace the charger with a new one as they were hearing that there were many faulty PCMM's out there. They gave me a new one from an unsold Taycan on the lot and ever since I have had no problems charging at 40amps. It get slightly warm but nothing nlike the first charger did.
That's good to hear. On the replacement unit, does the cable from charger to outlet indicate it's gauge has changed or is it still stamped with "10AWG"? Many believe that 10AWG cable is the main culprit for resistance/heat.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Porsche has issued a bulletin on this concern including an incorrect label on the supply cable for cables manufactured prior to August.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179275-0001.pdf
I thought they meant the cable was incorrectly labelled, as in they used the wrong one because it said it could take a higher current than the actual hardware is rated for.

But no, they're just replacing the label.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
{sigh}

Porsche: Yeah the label’s wrong - we’ll get right on that
Porsche: Yeah the cable gets warm - but it’s safe
Porsche: if the cable gets too warm for your comfort don’t use our 40 amp EVSE at 40 amps - turn down the amps and the cable won’t get so warm
Porsche: We know some customers are unhappy - we hope we can wait them out
Porsche: Yeah - we know we shipped a safe, but barely adequate supply cable on our $3225 EVSE - the most expensive EVSE on the north american market - but we saved $3.59 on each supply cable by doing it this way.

the PMCC is not your best option - and there are better, higher quality options for 1/3 rd the price.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
{sigh}

Porsche: Yeah the label’s wrong - we’ll get right on that
Porsche: Yeah the cable gets warm - but it’s safe
Porsche: if the cable gets too warm for your comfort don’t use our 40 amp EVSE at 40 amps - turn down the amps and the cable won’t get so warm
Porsche: We know some customers are unhappy - we hope we can wait them out
Porsche: Yeah - we know we shipped a safe, but barely adequate supply cable on our $3225 EVSE - the most expensive EVSE on the north american market - but we saved $3.59 on each supply cable by doing it this way.

the PMCC is not your best option - and there are better, higher quality options for 1/3 rd the price.
Get a 40amp WiFi connected EVSE on Amazon for $600 and don't look back. It will save you tons of headaches. Won't overheat, higher quality wiring and J1772 plug, and you can adjust the current setting remotely through the app. Much better setup.

https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-40-...keywords=evse+chargers&qid=1600348676&sr=8-23

bgatxy1

First Name
b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, RRS, Taycan4S
Country flag
The PMCC comment/result reported by DrSilly above in this thread is what interests me, because I already have the PMCC and charging dock installed/in use. "They gave me a new one from an unsold Taycan on the lot and ever since I have had no problems charging at 40amps. It get slightly warm but nothing like the first charger did." -I would like the same option/result for my set up....
Sponsored