Automatic high beams

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can’t seem to get the automatic high beams to work. The good to know app says:
“High beam is switched on as of 40 mph (60 km/h) and off below 25 mph (40 km/h). High beam is also switched from full high beam illumination to low beam when the camera detects street lighting.”

What does this even mean? What happens between 25 and 40 mph? In past cars I’ve owned the automatic high beams come on all the time unless it sees an oncoming car. The Taycan seems to only let you use automatic high beams above 40 mph? Come on.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I can’t seem to get the automatic high beams to work. The good to know app says:
“High beam is switched on as of 40 mph (60 km/h) and off below 25 mph (40 km/h). High beam is also switched from full high beam illumination to low beam when the camera detects street lighting.”

What does this even mean? What happens between 25 and 40 mph? In past cars I’ve owned the automatic high beams come on all the time unless it sees an oncoming car. The Taycan seems to only let you use automatic high beams above 40 mph? Come on.
Almost correct.
It turns on above 40 mph and switches off below 25 mph.
Why do you need high beam below 25 mph anyway?
Besides, you can turn on high beam manually, at any speed.
I don't see your problem, sorry.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It’s simple, I would like the automatic highbeams to work all the time. Not just when I am over 40 mph.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I think all VW group cars are like that now. My Bentley does the same thing.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
They will not work at all unless you see the headlight icon (green with an A) on the lower left of the instrument cluster.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They will not work at all unless you see the headlight icon (green with an A) on the lower left of the instrument cluster.
Yes I have that. But they never seem to come on. Either I’m driving too slow or it sees light that disables It. Automatic high beams is a feature I’ve had on BMWs for many years. The Porsche implementation seems inferior. They overcomplicate it.

Reactions: B61

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
Yes I have that. But they never seem to come on. Either I’m driving too slow or it sees light that disables It. Automatic high beams is a feature I’ve had on BMWs for many years. The Porsche implementation seems inferior. They overcomplicate it.
You need to be on a road with no streetlights or oncoming traffic to get the high beams. They are hella bright! Hella, get it? Anyway, I agree that the lights and many systems are too complicated. If they allowed us to edit all of these parameters I could really get behind it.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
It’s very similar to Audi or BMW laser high beams, which makes sense. I wonder if because in the US we can’t use matrix feature and it’s all locked as a group it has been made to come on in stricter conditions. I can imagine if we could move to the 21st century and the headlights could use the segments they may come on earlier.

can anyone from overseas comment?

drjhyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2020 4S, Cayenne 2020
Country flag
Almost correct.
It turns on above 40 mph and switches off below 25 mph.
Why do you need high beam below 25 mph anyway?
Besides, you can turn on high beam manually, at any speed.
I don't see your problem, sorry.
I need the high beams in my town where the deer have a funny issue in that they seem to wait to run across the road when you are nearly on top of them. The infrared screen is helpful but you do not want to take eyes off the road. I keep the high beam on, and do not understand the justification only being automatic at some level of speed.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I need the high beams in my town where the deer have a funny issue in that they seem to wait to run across the road when you are nearly on top of them. The infrared screen is helpful but you do not want to take eyes off the road. I keep the high beam on, and do not understand the justification only being automatic at some level of speed.
Blinding opposite traffic or blinding yourself by reflection on traffic signs.
It's pretty simple to understand if you ask me.
At speeds lower than 25 you really don't need high beam cuz your reaction distance is shorter than the distance illuminated.

drjhyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2020 4S, Cayenne 2020
Country flag
Blinding opposite traffic or blinding yourself by reflection on traffic signs.
It's pretty simple to understand if you ask me.
At speeds lower than 25 you really don't need high beam cuz your reaction distance is shorter than the distance illuminated.
Thank you for proving my point. I am much more likely to blind opposing traffic without the auto dimmer so why have a speed association. Not to many road signs, and virtually no street lights in my area. Just need all the help I can get to avoid the wildlife, especially during the rut.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
most matrix lights know to blank traffic signs when full beam is on. I also like the full beam regardless of speed.

I also find on my mercedes that in my past 18months of ownership it has changed for the better (due to OTA updates) and stays on for longer with the full matrix not blinding yet illuminating excellently.

Im sure Porsche will keep this updated and improving.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only way I can get my high beams to come on is by double tapping. If I have high beams set to come on automatically, they never come on. This isn’t my first rodeo!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The only way I can get my high beams to come on is by double tapping. If I have high beams set to come on automatically, they never come on. This isn’t my first rodeo!
Not sure what you mean by setting the auto highbeam to come on. There is a setting that enables the auto highbeam, but you still have to go to "high beam" manually for the auto (vs manual) function to work. You can override the auto by pulling again briefly.
Sponsored