Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting that it works that way. Have you seen that the power is coming from the charger at that stage? That would make a lot of sense!
My car does not warm the battery at all if I am just preconditioning the cabin for an hour while not physically charging, so wondering if there is something wrong with my car if that works for others. The only way I have found to warm the battery is during charging. I haven’t tried a timer though. This is a real pain since battery was at 15C (60F) today when I started, and my consumption was up at the 50/55 kWh/100mile level for the first 25 miles, even in range mode
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car does not warm the battery at all if I am just preconditioning the cabin for an hour while not physically charging, so wondering if there is something wrong with my car if that works for others. The only way I have found to warm the battery is during charging. I haven’t tried a timer though. This is a real pain since battery was at 15C (60F) today when I started, and my consumption was up at the 50/55 kWh/100mile level for the first 25 miles, even in range mode
Wow, 500-550wh/mi is huge. May I ask what you had HVAC set at and what was the outside temperature?

I have a 4S+ with 20" wheels. Just tonight I drove 78mi in an hour and 15 minutes, average 63 mph but generally with speeds of 73+ once I got off of back roads. This was somewhat hypermiling in terms of HVAC, I had it in eco mode but used the seat heater on low. Outside temperatures started at 60 but then dropped to 53 by the destination. My average consumption was 297wh/mi. I was astounded. I was at 5% and charged to 89% in 33min, it was more charged than I wanted but I was in the line in the supermarket. :rolleyes:
I will do a little cleanup to a video I took for the first 7 minutes of the charging, Average 221kW from 5% to 34%.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wow, 500-550wh/mi is huge. May I ask what you had HVAC set at and what was the outside temperature?

I have a 4S+ with 20" wheels. Just tonight I drove 78mi in an hour and 15 minutes, average 63 mph but generally with speeds of 73+ once I got off of back roads. This was somewhat hypermiling in terms of HVAC, I had it in eco mode but used the seat heater on low. Outside temperatures started at 60 but then dropped to 53 by the destination. My average consumption was 297wh/mi. I was astounded. I was at 5% and charged to 89% in 33min, it was more charged than I wanted but I was in the line in the supermarket. :rolleyes:
I will do a little cleanup to a video I took for the first 7 minutes of the charging, Average 221kW from 5% to 34%.
I was hypermiling myself to an extent, but clearly not successfully. HVAC was on eco mode at 20C (68F), and outside temperature was 9C (48F). Seat heaters were off. That was on range mode with cruise control set at 74mph (trying to replicate another poster’s figures). After about the first 25 miles, the consumption started to go down but not below 45kWh/100miles. On the way back (with a warmer battery, since the stop was only half an hour), the consumption got to around 39kWh/100miles, but no lower.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was hypermiling myself to an extent, but clearly not successfully. HVAC was on eco mode at 20C (68F), and outside temperature was 9C (48F). Seat heaters were off. That was on range mode with cruise control set at 74mph (trying to replicate another poster’s figures). After about the first 25 miles, the consumption started to go down but not below 45kWh/100miles. On the way back (with a warmer battery, since the stop was only half an hour), the consumption got to around 39kWh/100miles, but no lower.
Interesting, well I will admit that my battery was 78F when I started my journey as I had done some doodling around town before that. When I arrived at the charger my battery was up to 85F, I had expected more but it did not seem to recognize the (Soledad California) charger to trigger the preheating. I have had good luck with routing to the Gilroy California station. But 85 was ok to start at 220kW and ramp to 250kW pretty quickly.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
My car does not warm the battery at all if I am just preconditioning the cabin for an hour while not physically charging, so wondering if there is something wrong with my car if that works for others.
Generally pre warming the battery draws a lot of power and it is not efficient enough in range increase for the car to do without being plugged in. What I mean is you will lose more range from the power draw to warm up than you will gain, so its not worth it. However if you have the car plugged in and set a departure time it SHOULD pre-heat the battery to optimal temperature. But even then it usually will require at least a couple of hours ahead of time.
Sponsored