Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My car went in for the update on Tuesday. I got it back yesterday. Indeed things work better and smartlift is very handy.

However I also have noticed one problem. My active lane keeping is gone. My lane keep assist is still there. Porsche is now checking what happened. Hopefully it can be put back in the PCM over-the-air which is now switched on.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
My car went in for the update on Tuesday. I got it back yesterday. Indeed things work better and smartlift is very handy.

However I also have noticed one problem. My active lane keeping is gone. My lane keep assist is still there. Porsche is now checking what happened. Hopefully it can be put back in the PCM over-the-air which is now switched on.
Sometimes it helps to uncheck and check the box(es) again.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My car is perfectly fine after the update.
On internet you only read about problems cuz people like to share that and/or need a solution.
Perfectly normal imho.
But I can understand your concern.
How many issues are reported, really? (5?).
On how many cars? (25.000+).
My car's got better and love it.
There's a ton of improvements on the many many modules but they're not that visible.
I'm sure you'll run to your dealer when your 12V battery is dead...
the big flaw in your assumption is on 25K tyacans out there how many of those car owners participate on this forum? a few hundred at best?

forums like this are a valuable resource because of the people who are on here are a mix of people from the very well informed about the car, ( far better informed than the dealership people) to those who don't know much but come here to learn and share their experiences.

while some of the complaining is about things that are easily solved by RTFM I am glad that resources like this forum exist.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
the big flaw in your assumption is on 25K tyacans out there how many of those car owners participate on this forum? a few hundred at best?

forums like this are a valuable resource because of the people who are on here are a mix of people from the very well informed about the car, ( far better informed than the dealership people) to those who don't know much but come here to learn and share their experiences.

while some of the complaining is about things that are easily solved by RTFM I am glad that resources like this forum exist.
You're missing the point.
What would an owner do when he has a problem?
Indeed, go on the internet (like you said, cuz dealers don't know it all).
So it's more likely that problems occur on internet, this could lead to overreaction to one or a few problems during the update.
There are no real problems yet, only PCM's that crash or sequential updates that fail.
In the end it'll be solved, I don't see a problem.

I'm not assuming, I'm trying to explain why it looks like there are "so much" problems.
I'm not assuming, I'm trying to put things in perspective, that why I said that I understand the concerns.
I'm just here to tell my car is perfectly fine to downsize the concerns.
The more positive comments, the more faith about the update.
But then again, Porsche will deliver or at least do their best to get things done, it's their main concern at the moment (according to my dealer).

Last edited:

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Taking ALLLLLL of this into account...maybe it's better to wait on the update...I have an appt next Wed...but it still sounds super buggy...and for what? Wireless Apple Play and GPS lifting? My car (knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find) has been flawless...do I really want to chance it? Or wait a few months...let this work itself off...the conundrum!!!
Given the wide range of feedback and experience, I'm guessing that dealer training and knowledge play a significant role here. My dealer told me they've been doing multiple Taycan's per day since the 2 updates came out March 26th. As many have already reported, they did say it was a difficult update. More specifically, they said it requires the technicians to stay on top of it along the way, prodding steps and menus along, etc. You can't just leave it for 8 hours and come back to an updated car. That said, the normal lead time has been 2 days for most owners and they're not having issues after the update. For what it's worth my car has been fine in the 3 weeks since the update. Agree with @Dee about hearing more about the problems vs the non-problems so hopefully some bad experiences are the exception and do not get conveyed as "the norm." All of that said, it's clear Porsche has work to do in how they communicate with and train dealers as there is a huge gap between them, some really good, some really bad.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

This forum has about 2800 registered members. Even if a fair share is still waiting for their Taycans to be delivered or is only browsing for info or curiosity purposes, it is likely that this community covers about 2000 Taycans on the road.

Reactions: Dee

Armyav8tor

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
To bring balance to the forum responses, my 2020 4s went in on Monday and got it back Wednesday morning with no issues. Wireless CarPlay works good, the dynamic lighting is cool and most of my settings were untouched (homelink, seat, etc..). The only thing upsetting about the entire process was the dealer washed the car when I told them not to. Now if only we can get FoD...

OP
OP

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
For all non conspiracy theorists, I can report that my Taycan has been in the workshop since today waiting for the update. I will report back.

My dealer just called. I can pick up my Taycan. With new wheels ... but without new software. I need a new appointment. They still have problems with the update process. I asked especially for you: In some vehicles the pcm did not work anymore, another Taycan drove after the update only 70 kmh and in one even a (which?) board computer had to be replaced. And this is currently only limited available. That's why they now only update two Taycans per week.
Yes, that all sounds wild. But that's exactly what I was told was the reason. I honestly do not care. because mine drives well and now with 21 inch wheels. I will keep you guys up to date.

Last edited:

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I will add that my
My dealer just called. I can pick up my Taycan. With new wheels ... but without new software. I need a new appointment. They still have problems with the update process. I asked especially for you: In some vehicles the pcm did not work anymore, another Taycan drove after the update only 70 kmh and in one even a (which?) board computer had to be replaced. And this is currently only limited available. That's why they now only update two Taycans per week.
Yes, that all sounds wild. But that's exactly what I was told was the reason. I honestly do not care. because mine drives well and now with 22 inch wheels. I will keep you guys up to date.
Makes sense, actually. It seems like one of the variables impacting the update - in addition to better training - could be that some of the components have changed in some way (perhaps firmware) that does not take the update. Mine had been in the shop for a long time to replace a "control module." Congrats, though, on getting your car back.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The box is gone...so I cannot uncheck and check the box again.

IMG-20210408-WA0001.jpeg
Sometimes it helps to uncheck and check the box(es) again.
I think by mistake it has not been installed as it becomes also now as a FoD item hence it means that it can be installed or not some how it was not selected is my guess. As it is a FoD item ( see other thread) it should be easy to be solved.

Active Lane Keep Assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane using necessary steering intervention – even in dense traffic. InnoDrive individually adapts the speed of the vehicle to the conditions ahead, with specific consideration for speed limits, turns, traffic circles, and situations where you have to yield or stop.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I think by mistake it has not been installed as it becomes also now as a FoD item hence it means that it can be installed or not some how it was not selected is my guess. As it is a FoD item ( see other thread) it should be easy to be solved.

Active Lane Keep Assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the center of the lane using necessary steering intervention – even in dense traffic. InnoDrive individually adapts the speed of the vehicle to the conditions ahead, with specific consideration for speed limits, turns, traffic circles, and situations where you have to yield or stop.
That has been a very funny and entertaining discussion at the dealer's actually, wasn't it?...lol! :)

Last edited:

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That has been a very funny and entertaining discussion at the dealer's actually, wasn't it?...lol! :)
Let's first see what the dealer reports back.

Fcassells

First Name
Fraser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like you had a flawless update - Does your 4S have rear axle steering? Mine has been in for the update at PC Vancouver for the past 6 days...apparently it is failing during the update due to a communication issue with the rear axle steering module.
Yes , pretty happy with how it all went down . And no I did not spec the rear steer unfortunately ( or fortunate ?) it seems there are far too many modules in these beasts.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Just got a call from my Porsche dealer's service manager: my 2020 4S has been successfully updated with WMA5/7 BUT the OTA module now seems to be unresponsive and needs to be replaced with a new one which has to be shipped in from Germany. Since the Taycan is driveable - other than OTA updates or Connect connections - I was given two options: 1) leave the car at the dealer until the new OTA module is installed and continue to use the loaner meanwhile, or 2) pick it up today and return it to the dealer when the part is in. I opted for 1).
Sponsored