First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Does it really matter?

Every person that reviews this car says it feels like a true Porsche. It's the fastest EV 4 door round the Nurburgring. Everybody that reviews it loves the way it drives. THAT's the only real criteria it should be judged by

Not to mention that it's the only 4 door saloon in the world with the profile of a sports coupe
“That’s the only real criteria it should be judged by” is an absurd think to say, what if it drove great, just like a proper Porsche but it cost $400K and had a range of 75 miles? That would still be enough for most commuters and the occasional cruise around town. Where is the line? I’m kind of tired of Porsche fan boys ignoring the obvious flaw that keeps this from being what the essence of a car used to be. Freedom to travel. Freedom to challenge toe open road and actually go somewhere. You’ve forgotten what makes a car so wonderful.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm really more about how much time and inconvenience you'll incur charging the car, and if you think about it, that really is the much more important question than range. I can see that I'll spend an extra 20 min or so on a variety of my normal long-distance trips for and extra charge compared to a Tesla. Look at the Tesla driving 350 miles with a 20 min tipoff for an additional 100 miles compared to a Taycan driving 180 miles with a 20 min high power charge that gives you an additional 160 miles. That means you've got basically 450 miles of range with the Tesla vs 360 miles of range with the Taycan with a 20 min recharge stop. I'm ok with this because it looks like the electrify america stations will be located frequently along the major interstates that I'll be traveling, and I don't mind an extra 20 min stop if necessary to get the same range as the Tesla. There are some 200 - 350 mile round trips that I would be able to complete without a stop using the Tesla, and I will have to recharge the Taycan - this is certainly a significant inconvenience. I'm not overly concerned about using an extra 20 min on a 4-6 hour trip. I really think it comes down to the convenience and accessibility of the high power charging stations along the routes you intend to drive, and how much additional time and inconvenience the shortened range represents.

It is also of course critical to evaluate how often you'll be making trips like this. For me, it's maybe once or twice a month.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I'm really more about how much time and inconvenience you'll incur charging the car, and if you think about it, that really is the much more important question than range. I can see that I'll spend an extra 20 min or so on a variety of my normal long-distance trips for and extra charge compared to a Tesla. Look at the Tesla driving 350 miles with a 20 min tipoff for an additional 100 miles compared to a Taycan driving 180 miles with a 20 min high power charge that gives you an additional 160 miles. That means you've got basically 450 miles of range with the Tesla vs 360 miles of range with the Taycan with a 20 min recharge stop. I'm ok with this because it looks like the electrify america stations will be located frequently along the major interstates that I'll be traveling, and I don't mind an extra 20 min stop if necessary to get the same range as the Tesla. There are some 200 - 350 mile round trips that I would be able to complete without a stop using the Tesla, and I will have to recharge the Taycan - this is certainly a significant inconvenience. I'm not overly concerned about using an extra 20 min on a 4-6 hour trip. I really think it comes down to the convenience and accessibility of the high power charging stations along the routes you intend to drive, and how much additional time and inconvenience the shortened range represents.

It is also of course critical to evaluate how often you'll be making trips like this. For me, it's maybe once or twice a month.
I am also disappointed with the EPA rating of the Taycan. From the outset I thought that Porsche would have a range of 500 km when the Mission E was presented? That suited me perfectly for my intended use, which is for long distance driving 4 + times a year. We would do about 2400 km one way and roughly the same back home by a different route. And the distance covered per day is normally up to 1000 km. Plus of course normal short distance driving in between. Total about 30 to 35k kms per year.

Then the news that the range would be 450 km roughly at the launch. Disappointed but still ok. Now the news that more realistic figures are just 325 km is not good. It would be a lot of extra stops and searches for charging points.

I can see that a number of members have very good coverage with High Power Chargers, but my routes are not blessed with these. And IONITY have here in Europe, put a hold on their plans to build the 400 planned stations. `Seem now to include just 280 or so, with a review next summer? Porsche also only have a 11 kW charger built in with no statement about a 22 kW charger . This could be used for “emergency” charging to get to another High Power Charger.

I was going to firm up my specification this afternoon and order the Taycan, but have now decided to hold off until
1) I can properly drive one myself,
2) the real world experience from early takers are being published.

So for the time being my change of car is on hold, maybe until mid 2020 at least.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
“That’s the only real criteria it should be judged by” is an absurd think to say, what if it drove great, just like a proper Porsche but it cost $400K and had a range of 75 miles? That would still be enough for most commuters and the occasional cruise around town. Where is the line? I’m kind of tired of Porsche fan boys ignoring the obvious flaw that keeps this from being what the essence of a car used to be. Freedom to travel. Freedom to challenge toe open road and actually go somewhere. You’ve forgotten what makes a car so wonderful.
https://amcitesting.com/taycan/ The range here seems totally acceptable, doesn't it?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
https://amcitesting.com/taycan/ The range here seems totally acceptable, doesn't it?
Just even more confusing I think? And look at the driving conditions for city driving. HVAC off! Do you think that is to be recommended on a normal day in the Nordic?

I want the same creature comfort as driving a normal ICE car and not sit there with extra jumpers, hat and gloves and perhaps misting windows?

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, this is an untruthful test. Eco mode only hyper mile with no HVAC in perfect temp conditions. It’s actually very bad news it they could only get 275 in these conditions. It confirms Your actual range will be 125 to 190 depending on temperature and your driving style. Good enough for commuting to your job in the city, good enough to drive to your local car shows and coffee shop, good enough to show the car off to your friends, but not good enough to be the essence of what a real car is. A proper car gives you the freedom to drive, to travel, to embrace the open road and actually go somewhere without the constraints of your every day commute. I don’t believe anyone here really cares very much about mpg or even ultimately efficiency ratings, what we care about is being able to find fuel. It’s great ( in theory) that the Taycan has an 800 volt architecture I guess, but seriously, good luck finding an 800 V DC charger anytime soon. The reality is you would look with envy at teslas super charging network as your Taycan’s optional software tells you that you can’t make the next leg of your trip without running your car at 52 miles an hour with no AC. When Porsche calls this the car of the future, they literally mean that it won’t be really ready for another for five years.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
When Porsche calls this the car of the future, they literally mean that it won’t be really ready for another for five years.
Ok, we have now read several times that you feel incredibly offended and disappointed and also about what a proper car is. Thanks for the education. However, maybe you should look again at some of the tester videos posted and listen what these guys, who have *driven* the car, said. It certainly sounded good enough for me.

And pfft, we have four super chargers right on our main campus buildings already. And pfft we will install a lot more charge points in our other offices. And I'll have a jolly good time.

Cheers!

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
A proper car gives you the freedom to drive, to travel, to embrace the open road and actually go somewhere without the constraints of your every day commute. I don’t believe anyone here really cares very much about mpg or even ultimately efficiency ratings, what we care about is being able to find fuel.
A proper Porsche makes you feel exhilarated when you drive it, pumped full of adrenaline. You feel as though the car is an extension of you. A proper sports car - a proper Porsche - makes you enjoy yourself as much as possible behind the wheel. No matter how short a time you drive it, when you do drive it, you enjoy yourself as much as possible.

So many reviewers enjoy themselves behind the wheel of the Taycan - Mat Watson was giggling like a schoolgirl.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...The reality is you would look with envy at teslas super charging network as your Taycan’s optional software tells you that you can’t make the next leg of your trip without running your car at 52 miles an hour with no AC. When Porsche calls this the car of the future, they literally mean that it won’t be really ready for another for five years.
So you are saying that we all should not buy Taycan because the range is not quite as good? Maybe you could first purchase/rent a "long range" EV to see how it works and maybe you find out that your "range anxiety" is unfounded?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Just even more confusing I think? And look at the driving conditions for city driving. HVAC off! Do you think that is to be recommended on a normal day in the Nordic?

I want the same creature comfort as driving a normal ICE car and not sit there with extra jumpers, hat and gloves and perhaps misting windows?
I buy Taycan, BECAUSE it gives me the same comfort as an ICE, it has all the features I expect! But the battery power is limited so you have to plan better for longer trips. Rent an EV for a month and try it out how it all works. It's fun and you learn new things.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I buy Taycan, BECAUSE it gives me the same comfort as an ICE, it has all the features I expect! But the battery power is limited so you have to plan better for longer trips. Rent an EV for a month and try it out how it all works. It's fun and you learn new things.
Ok, I admit I’ve overreacted and you’re all probably right about how much fun this car seems to be to drive. Sincerely, I’m sorry for being so angry. Buying a car like this should be fun and I don’t want to sow doubt or stress for anyone. It’s reassuring to hear all of the spirited debate and defense for this unique car. In the end, I hope that everyone who is luck enough to get this car enjoys it and uses it with great zest! It isn’t perfect, as little in life ever is, but it looks awesome and I’m sure it will be a great experience so congratulations to everyone getting it. I’m done criticizing.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Ok, I admit I’ve overreacted and you’re all probably right about how much fun this car seems to be to drive. Sincerely, I’m sorry for being so angry. Buying a car like this should be fun and I don’t want to sow doubt or stress for anyone. It’s reassuring to hear all of the spirited debate and defense for this unique car. In the end, I hope that everyone who is luck enough to get this car enjoys it and uses it with great zest! It isn’t perfect, as little in life ever is, but it looks awesome and I’m sure it will be a great experience so congratulations to everyone getting it. I’m done criticizing.
Don't worry, I understand! I am much more angry with EV I have.

I really encourage you to find an EV rental company, go on short holiday, and rent one. I often fly into Munich and rent lots of big BMWs and Mercedes, no EVs yet. They are hardly ever more than 6 months old so always something new to find out on the latest models.

I do admit, that ordering a Taycan without even having seen it is indeed a bit of a gamble. But I sat in a new 911 - very cool. I compared all the power features to the EV I have and after all the video reviews, I am pretty sure I'll like it.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I often fly into Munich and rent lots of big BMWs and Mercedes, no EVs yet.
If you are in Munich next time after 7th of February (= delivery date), drop me a line, and we can take the 4S for a spin around the Autobahn :D.
Sponsored