Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Because both brands together are better than only one... You can get the best of both worlds, ? Porsche & Tesla ?
I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I owned a Tesla. I would actively hide it until I sold the “vehicle” as quickly as possible and the words were no longer true.
Sponsored

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
No, defenately not.
A Tesla is not a dream car.
A Porsche is.
Ask anyone: "what would you love to own: a Tesla or a Porsche?".
I'll wait...
Most youngsters I talk with or meet think a Tesla is a dream car. Kids on the way to school would stop, stare and yell “TESLA”, I drive past the same kids in the Taycan now and they shout “WANKER”……..

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Most youngsters I talk with or meet think a Tesla is a dream car. Kids on the way to school would stop, stare and yell “TESLA”, I drive past the same kids in the Taycan now and they shout “WANKER”……..
No they don't.
You just made that up to prove your point.
The hate on Tesla is real, just watch any Tesla topic on Drivetribe.
Porsche: the opposite, "the first EV I would love to own"...
I'm sorry.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
No they don't.
I'm sorry.
I understand your reluctance to believe the “youff” of the U.K. would do such things but your assertion is incorrect.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I understand your reluctance to believe the “youff” of the U.K. would do such things but your assertion is incorrect.
So you are saying that the comments on Drivetribe or any other car forum (Jalopnik, Car Throttle etc) aren't real?
Ok.
It's not an opinion, it's just what "car lovers" say on forums/groups.
I'm sorry, it's just what I read, nothing made up to prove my point, look it up if you don't believe me. ?
Once there was even a topic why there was so much hate on Tesla.??‍♂
It's real.
I'm sorry.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I think it probably varies. Certainly Teslas are dream cars for some people, especially younger people. Every couple of days I see something on social media of a 20-something leaning on the hood of his or her brand new Model 3, with a caption like, "My first car, and it's my dream car!"

But the Taycan makes a heck of an impression at my kid's school, which is not the case for any of the (many, many) Teslas driven by other parents.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
What a joke this guy ???

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-faster-than-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-2021-8

I can’t see myself ever leaving the ultimate refinement of Porsche for a car that feels like a Kia with a lot of power (test drove Model 3, S, X all felt like I went back 15 years in quality)… but yikes this is almost embarrassing!
A few unsolicited observations: (1) Business Insider is a POS online rag, why anyone cares about what its writers have to say about anything is baffling; (2) If anyone buys a Porsche simply because it is the fastest car that they can afford, it is time to switch to a Tesla, (or alternatively, time to seek counseling because you are stuck in some freudian vortex whereby your subconscious confuses 0-60 times with sexual prowess); (3) The days of automobile manufacturers distinguishing their products by squeezing more HP, torque, etc. from an ICE have come and gone. If speed is all Porsche has to offer, its days are numbered. Likewise, if speed is all that Tesla has to offer, its days are numbered as well. Going forward, EV's will come in two flavors (Fast and F***-off Fast), after selecting a flavor, consumers will continue to make purchase decisions based upon a myriad of factors to best suit their needs; (4) Overlooked, of course, by the geniuses at Business Insider, Taycans (and Ferraris) really do make men more attractive to the opposite sex (at least until we open our mouths!) whereas Tesla ownership communicates to the world that the driver would likely prefer quality time with an Xbox over quality time with a woman.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
So you are saying that the comments on Drivetribe or any other car forum (Jalopnik, Car Throttle etc) aren't real?
Ok.
I'm sorry, it's just what I read, nothing made up to prove my point, look it up if you don't believe me. ?
It's real.
I'm sorry.
Isn't what "car lovers" say on forums and groups the very definition of an opinion?

The hate I think is way more focused on the fan boys that defend the brand to the end, as opposed to the actual cars. Jalopnik in particular loves to dunk on folks that worship at the grail of Tesla.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Ok.
It's real.
I'm sorry.
Porsches are one of the brands that bring out the most jealous rage in people who can't afford them.
I have had trucks try to push me off the road and abuse shouted at me and on one occasion been spat at.
In my Ferrari I don't get that reaction at all.
One truckie rolled his window down and shouted "swap you mate" so it isn't pricy cars they hate it is the "greed is good" reputation Porsche got in the Thatcher yuppie years.

It is a great shame IMO but real.

Probably uniquely British problem

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Ok.
It's real.
I'm sorry.
Your opinions are based upon your experience of driving around in another country and hearsay on car forums. My opinion was formed by driving around many deprived inner city suburbs in the U.K. and experiencing this first hand. Maybe I am mistaken and my hearing and lip reading isn’t what it used to be. I bow to your superior knowledge of these places.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
No they don't.
I'm sorry.
Uh, not sure about the kids in your area, but I routinely get a thumbs up and a "cool car, mister" from kids about 15 on down when driving my Tesla. On the off chance I pick up one of the kids at school, guaranteed there are 2-3 likes as I drive by. This despite the fact that Teslas are very common where I live. I get way more appreciative mentions in it than when driving my 911. Most kids view it as another electronic device, but one that can drive. They love the connectivity, the simplicity and the speed.

The hate on Tesla is mostly from the established "car guys" who bemoan the fact that Corvettes don't have round tail lights, and had an embolism when it went mid-engined. And for whom any car with less than three pedals is an "autotragic" despite the fact that most of them once owned a C3 Corvette but now drive Camrys and minivans. They shout from the rooftops about "range anxiety" and "panel gaps" despite never having seen an EV or a Tesla up close and personal, much less driven one.

The Taycan is a superior vehicle, although not as good as an EV, but as with most automotive brands, the haters are largely online dudes in their basement.

So, not sure what you need to be sorry about.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
whereas Tesla ownership communicates to the world that the driver would likely prefer quality time with an Xbox over quality time with a woman.
If you're in the market for an EV, what car is out there that offers a superior experience to a Model 3 SR+ at the same price point?

Quality on some builds, especially early on is lacking, but a Model 3 SR+ offers decent range, superior technology, is very safe, easy to drive, spirited enough for most motorists, is low maintenance, and has a great charging infrastructure.

Tesla owners demographically are all 6 figure earners, maybe to the upper tier of driver's it indicates Xbox player, but in many areas a Tesla is still seen as a novelty brand associated with rich people.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Isn't what "car lovers" say on forums and groups the very definition of an opinion?
Correct.
It's a fact (and not my opinion) that the overall opinion on Tesla is that it is hated by many.
All I'm saying.
Personally I don't hate Tesla but I think Porsche has a lot more depth in brand experience, not only by me but by many many other people.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Correct.
It's a fact (and not my opinion) that the overall opinion on Tesla is that it is hated by many.
All I'm saying.
Personally I don't hate Tesla but I think Porsche has a lot more depth in brand experience, not only by me but by many many other people.
My brain is melting.

I guess it's also a fact that the overall opinion on Tesla is that is it loved by many.
Sponsored