2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks!
Practicality and half the cost to own for a car that I don't drive much were certainly factors. But if wasn't for all the rattles and software bugs I would have probably kept it. This is also after owning a Macan with many serious problems at the third year of ownership and Porsche NA not the customer support I expected. So I feel I have lost faith to the brand.

I am not saying that the Mach-e will be problem free, but I will give it a try. If it ends up having many issues, then I plan to move ton an i4 M50i :)
If you can afford it, I think it is smart to move between different brands and cars and see what works best!

I got my car cleaned and got a tire fixed, on the way home rattle in the driver door! :headbang:
Sponsored

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Interesting to hear your thoughts, thank you. The GT Performance Pack is high on my radar. Reviews dropped yesterday and are very positive, although much of it is due to the Perf. pack seats and magnetic dampers, so that would be a must for me.

Please do chime in now and then with your thoughts. I think you'll find this forum pretty productive compared to others!

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Yeah, I've seen reviews, the software in the Ford is very good! The info in your pic above is excellent!!!

Please stay with us and give us an update in the near future! :)
competition improves the breed and that applies to Porsche too..we need good quality EVs (AND much better charging infrastructure ) to make electric vehicles a real world success.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My 2020 Taycan 4S with P+ battery has found a new home and I move to a 2021 Ford Mach-e GT.
This is one of my last posts in this forum and since I am probably the only person yet that has owned both cars I will write a comparison of the the two.

Mach-e wins these categories:
  • Throttle Response: The Mach-e feels more responsive than the Taycan 4S. It feels like a Taycan Turbo. Even on the soft mode, if you press the pedal it pulls really hard. The Taycan has a sluggish throttle response and even when you floor it does not have the same immediate response. The GT has a lot more torque according to factory specs so that might be the reason.
  • Practically: The Mach-e has more space, more legroom and headroom, a usable rear bench that can fit 3 people and a more accessible trunk. It is also much easier to get in and out.
  • Rear Camera: There are so many threads in this forum about the distorted camera views of the Taycan so this is not surprise. Mach-e's camera is very good.
  • Infotainment system: Mach-e's infotainment is more responsive, the maps load fast, the phone connects immediately and so far I have not seen any of these annoying bugs that the Taycan had. The Mach-e also has wireless Android Auto which is great.
  • Interior Build Quality: This is surprising but true. The Taycan had rattles from everywhere (door panels, speaker covers, driver seat, b-pillar, EVERYWHERE). It was so annoying. The Mach-e has no rattles so far and it seems to be well built.
  • Charger: Ford Mobile charger is more "mobile" than Porsche's PMCC and it does not overheat. It is a simple charger, no screen, no settings which is good. Less chance of problems. Btw the pigtail is AWG 8 which is more appropriate than Porsche's AWG 10 which overheats.
  • Other: The Mach-e has physical Homelink buttons which is great and you can actually program more than one door!! Yay
  • Value: At about half of the 4S price you get a bigger battery, same or a little more power and a well built car.
I would agree almost entirely with your Taycan Pros but in my case (and of course always a personal opinion) the Mach E 'wins' are imo next to none other than a couple, perhaps infotainment and value, and the latter somewhat subjective. TBH I feel pretty good about my choice based on these lists :).

Here are my (personal) thoughts on your Mach E wins (in you list order) - again NOT a criticism just an alternate perspective:

1) This evolution of cars are all stupid fast - non-issue for me but of course a pers. opinion.
2) I'm getting a CT - retired couple, so absolutely no issue re space - def. non-issue for us.
3) Rear camera - non-issue - I still physically look and respond to alarms instead.
4) Efficient SW if indeed that much better would be a win for the Mach E - but no pers. experience with either car as yet so not really qualified to comment :)
5) Mobile charger - total non-issue for me.
6) Homelink a simple workaround - non-issue again and
7) Value - absolutely no doubt the Taycan is ridiculously expensive - arguably at least 30% overcharge but in part I go back to your Taycan Pros all of which compensate this to some (albeit) small degree :)

For me I suspect if the Taycan I receive gets even 30+% of the varied problems that the Forum members have reported, this alone would be the biggest differentiator. There are many other Taycan owners of course (and possibly a majority) who experience none to less than 10% of Forum reported issues - if I end up in that category I'll be very happy with my choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting to hear your thoughts, thank you. The GT Performance Pack is high on my radar. Reviews dropped yesterday and are very positive, although much of it is due to the Perf. pack seats and magnetic dampers, so that would be a must for me.

Please do chime in now and then with your thoughts. I think you'll find this forum pretty productive compared to others!
I also wanted the Perf package but I couldn't find any in stock and I didn't want to wait 7+ months for a custom order.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I also wanted the Perf package but I couldn't find any in stock and I didn't want to wait 7+ months for a custom order.
I hear you. I'm in same boat, although at this point, I'd keep my Model 3 Performance rather than get the GT without the Perf. pack.

Enjoy yours!

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
it does seem like Ford has done a great job launching the Mach-E. From what I've read, there arent many software or quality issues that have come up. I'd still prefer to get a Taycan CT, but then I look at the Mach-E GT and think do I really want to pay 40k+ more for the Porsche? In terns of looks and driving experience, yes, I do. But all these little glitches/annoyances along w/ the car being so big on the oustide yet tight on the inside all make me re-consider.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
For me I suspect if the Taycan I receive gets even 30+% of the varied problems that the Forum members have reported, this alone would be the biggest differentiator. There are many other Taycan owners of course (and possibly a majority) who experience none to less than 10% of Forum reported issues - if I end up in that category I'll be very happy with my choice.
This is tough to say. It's probably even less.

Sometimes you read enthusiast forums and threads where issues pop up and a few prominent members experience them, and you immediately assume the issues are commonplace. Just looking at some of the threads here where folks ask questions about issues with the car, many of them are people that created accounts just because they had an issue and wanted to ask a question.

Last week I bought a new high tech Samsung fridge, and was having trouble getting it set up. I found a Samsung appliance forum, made an account, and asked a question. Something I never would have done without the issue existing in the first place, and found other users with similar questions and their answers.

Go take a look at the Mach E forum and their "issues" subforum. They have over double the numbers of posts/threads as our forum does on a vehicle that has been out for a shorter period of time, and likely hasn't eclipsed the Taycan yet in total sales. The vast majority seem to be about road noise and access issues, or having to reboot the screen too many times.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
This is tough to say. It's probably even less.

Sometimes you read enthusiast forums and threads where issues pop up and a few prominent members experience them, and you immediately assume the issues are commonplace. Just looking at some of the threads here where folks ask questions about issues with the car, many of them are people that created accounts just because they had an issue and wanted to ask a question.

Last week I bought a new high tech Samsung fridge, and was having trouble getting it set up. I found a Samsung appliance forum, made an account, and asked a question. Something I never would have done without the issue existing in the first place, and found other users with similar questions and their answers.

Go take a look at the Mach E forum and their "issues" subforum. They have over double the numbers of posts/threads as our forum does on a vehicle that has been out for a shorter period of time, and likely hasn't eclipsed the Taycan yet in total sales. The vast majority seem to be about road noise and access issues, or having to reboot the screen too many times.
Absolutely - lot of experience with various forums and no doubt whatsoever that there almost always is a massive bias towards a small percentage of owners who have very real but generally uncommon major issues with their cars.

Fingers crossed I stay in the no issues category which statistically is more likely to happen :)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
+1 to last two posts.

As I said, almost 2000km, no serious issues…..just joy & fun with driving.
i can definitely live with software glitches and non-logical functionalities as I also mentioned in some other thread:
- pedal recuperation needs to be set every time
- if you change drive mode from normal to sport (or to gravel) and then back to normal, pedal recup needs to be set again.
- sometimes weather info simply disappears from the screen and from options as well…and it appears back after on the list of options (not on the screen) and it has to be selected again.
- sometimes it doesn‘t unlock automatically (have keys always in the same pocket), so I press the button (easy peasy)
- alarm went off twice and I got workaround to orevent thst (double click when lock the car).

i’d also prefer to have passenger screen always on (for car play or for navigation), but i can live without that as well.

bottom-line: the vehicle is top of the top (or, as youngsters would say: top shit).

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
+1 to last two posts.

As I said, almost 2000km, no serious issues…..just joy & fun with driving.
i can definitely live with software glitches and non-logical functionalities as I also mentioned in some other thread:
- pedal recuperation needs to be set every time
- if you change drive mode from normal to sport (or to gravel) and then back to normal, pedal recup needs to be set again.
- sometimes weather info simply disappears from the screen and from options as well…and it appears back after on the list of options (not on the screen) and it has to be selected again.
- sometimes it doesn‘t unlock automatically (have keys always in the same pocket), so I press the button (easy peasy)
- alarm went off twice and I got workaround to orevent thst (double click when lock the car).

i’d also prefer to have passenger screen always on (for car play or for navigation), but i can live without that as well.

bottom-line: the vehicle is top of the top (or, as youngsters would say: top shit).
+3

Every car forum I have ever been on (lots over the last 20 years!) is full of people complaining about the car (some rightly so obv).

People saying they will never buy that brand again and quite often saying that they will move on to Porsche next time.

Not quite sure where that leaves us. ?

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I confirm some of Chrisk's Taycan issues. I waited until late 2020 to order a 2021 trying to avoid "early adopter" problems.

The big message in this thread is that Porsche is not living up to its customers' expectations as to quality. While I have no rattles after nine months of use, I do experience many of the issues experienced by Chrisk including annoyance with the dealer visits for what should be over-the-air updates and numerous issues with the digital technology.

I just had my first reliability issue this morning when the AC stopped working. Took it to the dealer who diagnosed a bad pressure sensor and now have to drive around without AC until the part shows up from Germany, and hopefully fixes that problem.

Lane Keep Assist is simply not reliable in detecting lane markings and when it does work it over reacts. LKA has no idea where the center of the lane is.

Automatic Cruise Control has a problem detecting vehicles stopped in front of me when approaching from a distance. I am forced to brake aggressively to avoid a collision.

Surround View has never worked as shown in Porsche ads and in on-line videos.

Park Assist doesn't seem to work at all.

The iPhone and CarPlay interface is frequently slow to connect, or doesn't connect at all.

Hello Porsche? Are you there?

I think I will stop by my local Ford dealer.

russw

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Cayman S
Country flag
Good to see this perspective. Please stick around and provide updates.

Interesting observation about the acceleration.

My big worry about the Taycan is the 2-speed transmission. Maybe that's because I just had to replace my Macan PDK for $22K (got lucky, had the extended warrantee).
Sponsored