22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Could somebody please post a screenshot of this text from the UK configurator? I would like to ask PCNA if this has any bearing on the safety or duty cycle of the (as-named in US market) 19.2kW Onboard Charger which presumably is the same equipment just subject to a US limit of 80A.

Also, bat signal out to @daveo4EV for his thoughts on this potential new concern.
I see that @tigerbalm posted a screen shot but you can also go to www.porsche.co.uk and open the configuration.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Could somebody please post a screenshot of this text from the UK configurator? I would like to ask PCNA if this has any bearing on the safety or duty cycle of the (as-named in US market) 19.2kW Onboard Charger which presumably is the same equipment just subject to a US limit of 80A.

Also, bat signal out to @daveo4EV for his thoughts on this potential new concern.
I honestly have no idea - I’d take Porsche at their word - they must know something - also the time frame we’re talking about is unclear - will it extend life from 2 years to 4 years or 4 years to 12 years?

if something like this “filtered” up to the ordering process - we know that text has been sanitized and scrutinized to even be promoted to that level of visibilitiy - why not a TSB? Really? That piece of technical information is in the “ordering process?”

Seems ashame to limit the charging speed, and while I can see how you’d be able to do that when at home, what about when plugging into charging outlets when away from home?

Seems an interesting problem for which I lack sufficient visibility into the issues involved or background on why/how…

could it be related to the BS article reporting that porsche is using a “cheaper” onboard charging unit from the teslarti article?

it’s interesting to me that it discusses charger longevity, not the battery itself, so it has something to do with the AC/DC converter and apparently single phase charging at higher KW’s can stress it…as to why/how I have no idea.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My dealer's tech department seemed not to know about it. So now asking porsche.

What i'd be really annoyed about, as some are suggesting could happen, is if porsche retrospectively released some software so the car would only charge at 6kw if it was hooked up to single phase if you have the 22kw upgrade fitted. That would be £1.2k for a charge speed upgrade to actually deliver me a slower charge speed for the vast majority of the time.

My charger (wallbox) allows you to change the charge rate easily it seems. So i would at least want the option to turn it up from 6 to 7.4kw if i needed to charge more quickly.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
My dealer's tech department seemed not to know about it. So now asking porsche.

What i'd be really annoyed about, as some are suggesting could happen, is if porsche retrospectively released some software so the car would only charge at 6kw if it was hooked up to single phase if you have the 22kw upgrade fitted. That would be £1.2k for a charge speed upgrade to actually deliver me a slower charge speed for the vast majority of the time.

My charger (wallbox) allows you to change the charge rate easily it seems. So i would at least want the option to turn it up from 6 to 7.4kw if i needed to charge more quickly.
Yeah – for now, in the absence of any clarifying information – I'm happy to have my home charger run at 6kW – use 7.4kW charging when at single phase destinations – maybe 15 times a year – and get the benefit of 22kW charging out on the road when required.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I would like to ask PCNA if this has any bearing on the safety or duty cycle of the (as-named in US market) 19.2kW Onboard Charger which presumably is the same equipment just subject to a US limit of 80A.
I think it’s unlikely that it’s the same hardware since they would charge 22kW with 400VAC 3-phase at 32 amps while our 19.2kW is 240VAC single phase at 80 amps.

psilow

First Name
Pontus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, Cayenne eHybrid
Country flag
Where I live there are 11 houses that share some common facilities, like parking lots and outdoor lighting, and we just had chargers installed for the parking lots. The installation also includes central load balancing, which cuts directly to single-phase 6 kW if there is not enough capacity for three-phase charging. This fits my upgraded onboard charger perfectly, since there will always be the correct charge setup available.

That installation setup, in combination with the discussion in this thread, makes me wonder if this is a lucky coincidence or if the industry knows something that they are not communicating particularly well. It might be that it is not an ”error” on Porsche’s part, but rather a known fact / recommendation in the industry.

I agree, however, that the E-mobility section of Porsche’s configurator is by far the worst part, which is especially unfortunate since it is also the section that sales reps and customers know the least about.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I suppose I’m lucky:
a) retired so no need for work charging
b) only have single phase (240V) so no need for the 22kW charger
I can use some of the spare money getting the 150kW dc charger in readiness for the Tesla superchargers??

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Where I live there are 11 houses that share some common facilities, like parking lots and outdoor lighting, and we just had chargers installed for the parking lots. The installation also includes central load balancing, which cuts directly to single-phase 6 kW if there is not enough capacity for three-phase charging. This fits my upgraded onboard charger perfectly, since there will always be the correct charge setup available.

That installation setup, in combination with the discussion in this thread, makes me wonder if this is a lucky coincidence or if the industry knows something that they are not communicating particularly well. It might be that it is not an ”error” on Porsche’s part, but rather a known fact / recommendation in the industry.

I agree, however, that the E-mobility section of Porsche’s configurator is by far the worst part, which is especially unfortunate since it is also the section that sales reps and customers know the least about.
And no mention of these recommendations on the Swedish configurator. Seems only the European English language configurators (UK and Ireland) have this text so far. Anybody else noticed it in a non-English language option description ?

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Still having access issues - past few days it was with saving configs now its on loading a pre-saved config.

I think there are lots of updates being applied (in all languages) at the moment so it's probable this particular update will appear everywhere.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
And no mention of these recommendations on the Swedish configurator. Seems only the European English language configurators (UK and Ireland) have this text so far. Anybody else noticed it in a non-English language option description ?
I haven’t seen it in Dutch on the Dutch and Belgian site and neither on the German one (checked early this week)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
"To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW)."

Seeing as I get around 8.5kW at the car from the standard charger, this seems like a big downgrade to me.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
"To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW)."

Seeing as I get around 8.5kW at the car from the standard charger, this seems like a big downgrade to me.
you are in the us and we don’t tend to have 3 phase power