OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I know; knew that when I brought the car - was just responding to the OPs question. Range wasn't my concern - performance and looks were my priority :)
Agreed - I don't care so much about range to not have the 21 mission e wheels as any wheel option less than 21 is horrible (IMO). I just was concerned about some Turbo owners claiming they can barely get past 200 miles (normal driving). That would be an issue for me. I would want to be at least able to get 240-250 miles - and without trying being in range mode and driving like someone in their 80's.
Sponsored

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
it’s amazingly more nimble and planted
I'm surprised to hear this, I thought that physically they both had the same chassis. Is there a performance option you have on the Turbo that wasn't on the 4S like PDCC sport or RAS?

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
Doesn't the Turbo have the PVT Plus and not the 4S?
Looks like you're right and the Turbo S (which is what @RCorsa has) has RAS steering as standard as well so maybe that's it

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Looks like you're right and the Turbo S (which is what @RCorsa has) has RAS steering as standard as well so maybe that's it
👍 Having driven the 4S and the Turbo, they do feel very similar but there was a difference in them. Rear steer was optioned on the Turbo I drove and that and PVT Plus was what the PS said made a difference. But I didn't spend enough time in the cars to really tell.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
2. Apart from under hard acceleration is there anything noticeably different from 4S to Turbo - for reference, when I tested the Turbo recently it was obviously fast under acceleration almost too fast on normal roads, but honestly speaking I could not tell any other difference?
  • When it comes to resale, any options you add to a 4S that are standard on a Turbo will have lost nearly all their value, whereas on a Turbo they effectively devalue to the overall residual % of the Turbo.
  • The Turbo has lower production volumes and lower demand- depending on a specific dealer's order books and allocations, the Turbo could be available significantly earlier OR later than a 4S.
  • A 4S that is optioned to match a Turbo will be very similar in all but acceleration (and possibly braking- not sure if 4S can be optioned to match on that). When it gets hard to distinguish between a 4S and Turbo, I don't think adding the GTS to the mix would help (most of its uniqueness is cosmetic).
  • Having driven both 4S and Turbo, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with either, so I put deposits down on both and waited for build slots, the Turbo turned up first- if instead it had been the 4S, I'd have agonised over whether it'd be worth waiting for the Turbo. It'll be nice to have the extra oomph of the Turbo, but I doubt I'll want or be able to experience it much.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
one of the advantages of EV over ICE is extra power doesn't necessarily "lose" range - EV motors are so efficient that unless you are using the extra power capacity you don't pay much if any of a penalty for carrying around a more power EV motors (at least in the range of actual changes from base taycan to a TurboS)…
But isn't the Turbo/S heavier than the 4S due to the differences of front motor? I might be misremembering but there was some reason why...

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Around 210 versus around 300 on my 4s after it caught up with driving and recalibrated.
I'm gonna be the black sheep here and say that over the past 7k mi on the Turbo, I probably get an effective range of about 140mi on a routine use (going from 85% down to about 25%). I never charge to 100% nor drive it to 0%, so the max range to me is somewhat theoretical.

I have done 185mi on a road trip and that was from 100% down to maybe 10%, avg 70'ish mph highway w/ intermittent traffic (21" exclusive wheels, Conti ProContact RX @ 39 psi, summer month, 2 adults + luggage).

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went from a 2021 4S to a 2022 turbo S and the change is MASSIVE. Not just fast launch control which is almost too fast but in day to day highway driving it’s amazingly more nimble and planted.
Your 4S must not have had performance options. Similarly specced, there is no difference in the handling.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
GTS is the sweet spot here if you want a little more than the 4S - for most purposes the Turbo/TurboS is un-necessary.
You think?
When I looked the regular power increment up from 4S compared to the step up in price was the poorest ratio for every increment in the model range so IMO unless you are very keen on the GTS cosmetics, the GTS is poor value for money.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Actually @Archimedes the Turbo S has Standard Rear Axel Steering the Porsche Torque Vectoring. I know the former is a option on the 4S (I believe only 2022) and the later is not an option. Both make draumatic difference in driving/handling. I put 9000 miles on my 4S with 20 inch turbo Wheels and the performance battery and have had the TTS for a month. Spend a month in each and come back and tell me is makes no difference…lol

Regarding range, @KTC and I work together and live near by as well. I will say the very best range I ever got on my commute in my 4S was around 29kWh/100mi. This morning, I drove to work as mellow as possible In range mode with zero traffic and was only barely able to squeak out 37kWh/1000 in my Turbo S. I’m sure @daveo4EV could understand what this means. I assume its the higher tuned engine and/or the 21 inch E mission wheels/tires.

Porsche Taycan 4S to Turbo - is it worth it? DF69BFD4-149D-4126-B835-F8DAF0C62374

Porsche Taycan 4S to Turbo - is it worth it? AE604510-7F02-437C-85B6-354B4F39B143

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • When it comes to resale, any options you add to a 4S that are standard on a Turbo will have lost nearly all their value, whereas on a Turbo they effectively devalue to the overall residual % of the Turbo.
  • The Turbo has lower production volumes and lower demand- depending on a specific dealer's order books and allocations, the Turbo could be available significantly earlier OR later than a 4S.
  • A 4S that is optioned to match a Turbo will be very similar in all but acceleration (and possibly braking- not sure if 4S can be optioned to match on that). When it gets hard to distinguish between a 4S and Turbo, I don't think adding the GTS to the mix would help (most of its uniqueness is cosmetic).
  • Having driven both 4S and Turbo, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with either, so I put deposits down on both and waited for build slots, the Turbo turned up first- if instead it had been the 4S, I'd have agonised over whether it'd be worth waiting for the Turbo. It'll be nice to have the extra oomph of the Turbo, but I doubt I'll want or be able to experience it much.
You've hit the dilemma on the head with the very last sentence. All the rest I agree with except for the craziness of the UK market right now which means the 4S can go back to the Porsche dealer who is prepared to pay 3k less than what I originally paid for me nicely optioned 4S.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You think?
When I looked the regular power increment up from 4S compared to the step up in price was the poorest ratio for every increment in the model range so IMO unless you are very keen on the GTS cosmetics, the GTS is poor value for money.
I agree with that - the GTS is not an option in my mind over the 4S - there is not much to be gained in going for that - even my OPC agrees with that...

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ive owned both and spent decent seat time in each to give some relevant feedback and to me, the answer is 'it depends'.

Straight line speed is noticeably different. And you feel that throughout the drive, for example in onramp situations or overtaking. The 4S feels lacking if you are comparing both in only that way. Compare the 4S to an ICE car though, and the word lacking doesn't come to mind. Outside of that, it depends on the options. The 4S is the same car and if its equally optioned thats the only place you will feel the difference. In fact, I moved out of a 4S with the Performance package and I REALLY miss RWS - it just makes the car better.

Range is the same if you drive them the same. If you push the Turbo, its going to deplete the battery faster, but pay you dividends in added smiles. Its about a 10% adjustment to consider. If you drive moderately though, the car gives easily as much range as the 4S did (makes sense).

I wouldn't trade back if given the chance. That said, if I could do it all over, I would have made RWS a deal killer if it wasn't there. I tend to push my cars on the upper end and the Turbo is one of those cars that kind of asks you do just that. Taking a corner that would kick out my current car vs. grabbing the corner like the car was on rails...it's hard not to miss that.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm gonna be the black sheep here and say that over the past 7k mi on the Turbo, I probably get an effective range of about 140mi on a routine use (going from 85% down to about 25%). I never charge to 100% nor drive it to 0%, so the max range to me is somewhat theoretical.

I have done 185mi on a road trip and that was from 100% down to maybe 10%, avg 70'ish mph highway w/ intermittent traffic (21" exclusive wheels, Conti ProContact RX @ 39 psi, summer month, 2 adults + luggage).
That's terrible mileage and reinforces part of the reason for the original post - to get real life views on Turbo mileage. Thanks for posting this...! It helps.
Sponsored