A Taycan or an BMW I5 M60- what would you do?

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Lotus is a chinese car not Porsche. I wouldn't think of it if I have money for Taycan.
Except supercars, nothing comes close to my Taycan Turbo in terms of driving dynamics.
Sponsored

summerlion

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S
Country flag
Lotus is a chinese car not Porsche. I wouldn't think of it if I have money for Taycan.
Which doesn't have anything to do with what I said, but ok.

OP
OP
CarolineK

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Reasonable minds can differ of course, but the Lotus Emeya is a great looking car in my opinion. On the other hand, one suspects that Lotus EV reliability will be a special kind of hell.
This is my concern about EV reliability of Lotus as I had all the bumpiness at the start with the 4S in Dec2020

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
IMHO there is no other EV that can match the Taycan for looks. I got mine for that fact and of course for the way it drives. I waited two years for my Taycan RWD, received it in August 2023. I’m blown away with the drive and handling so in short, when the time comes to get another car, it will be another Taycan. No question! Until all the rest can match the Taycan design, there’s simply nothing else that can beat it!
Looks are subjective, but I can tell you that I get stares all the time, because the way it looks, meaning unique, and not because it is relatively new or it is an EV. Other EVs all look boring, including a few Lucids and i7 barges in the area, and now looking at many pictures of i5, who likes all the rear bumper angle cut outs and large glued on screens inside, with lots of dials and switches - not me. The lookers obviously have no idea the way it drives. I was just going behind an open top older style Lambo on a good open road, and while it was making all that noise and drama with the engine sounds and pops, I felt like I was effortlessly flying around it and taking round abouts along the way like I am not even touching the ground. I like Porsche sounds from our 2 Turbo SUVs, and wife getting Macan GTS that comes with SE, but having flawless power with no drama, is just something else.

Porsche Taycan A Taycan or an BMW I5 M60- what would you do? 1696210868767

Last edited:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
My Carmine Red 4S lease ends in December. I got her in Dec 2020, and she has 33k miles on the clock. Had the battery replaced in Oct 21, having had repeated episodes if battery failure that was not accepted as true by the local dealership until it died a death amd needed towed. Other than that I have had almost no bother with it. Have taken it on 3k journeys in the summer and been fine as have always found chargers.
I now need a new lease deal and still love my Taycan dearly. I went to look at the BMW range today. The iX is great to sit in but too big and not pretty on the outside. The tyres look like teactor wheels.
The i4 feels too cramped inside, but is fast. The i5M60 inside is somewhere in between the i4 and iX and looks more agressive externally. The range is better (300+miles) than my 220m 4S.
Has anyone tried an i5 M60?
Should I get another Taycan?
i think in all fairness to your study that you need to survey current owners of the BMW. I predict all the BMW owners will tell you something 180 degrees opposite the Taycan owners. It's a fool's errand. And FWIW I'd choose a Porsche over a BMW any day, and I've owned both.

OP
OP
CarolineK

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
i think in all fairness to your study that you need to survey current owners of the BMW. I predict all the BMW owners will tell you something 180 degrees opposite the Taycan owners. It's a fool's errand. And FWIW I'd choose a Porsche over a BMW any day, and I've owned both.
I have too. Driven BMWs for maybe 15yrs, mostly 6s, occasionally a 5 or 7. This has been my first porsche. Will it be the second is the question.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Carmine Red 4S lease ends in December. I got her in Dec 2020, and she has 33k miles on the clock. Had the battery replaced in Oct 21, having had repeated episodes if battery failure that was not accepted as true by the local dealership until it died a death amd needed towed. Other than that I have had almost no bother with it. Have taken it on 3k journeys in the summer and been fine as have always found chargers.
I now need a new lease deal and still love my Taycan dearly. I went to look at the BMW range today. The iX is great to sit in but too big and not pretty on the outside. The tyres look like teactor wheels.
The i4 feels too cramped inside, but is fast. The i5M60 inside is somewhere in between the i4 and iX and looks more agressive externally. The range is better (300+miles) than my 220m 4S.
I have a whole post on my move from a Taycan to an i4 M50 if you search my post history. It's about as unbiased and in depth as you'll find.

One thing I'm a bit confused on.. the i4 is roomier than the Taycan, so I think there might have been a perception bias when you sat in it. It is smaller in size but you're not as locked into seating position as a Taycan and the storage is superior (cabin and trunk.)

I'd cross shop an i4 and a Taycan IF you're concerned about money. I'd never cross shop an i5 and a Taycan. The things the i4 does better than the Taycan (day to day livability, just a really nice size with a good amount of storage and seating) the i5 does not.

The i4 is a fantastic EV for the money. It's super easy to live with, the range is equal or slightly superior to a Taycan depending on spec, and it's a handsome car. But it's NOT a sportscar, it's a sporty luxury sedan that's super easy to live with and had a lot of speed.

The Taycan is a showstopper, but it's also twice the money and a bit of an awkward size for a cramped big city.

The i5 doesn't do anything particularly well IMO.

The iX is an amazing EV SUV that is completely ruined from looking like a minivan.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Want better usability? Wait for the Macan EV.

OP
OP
CarolineK

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a whole post on my move from a Taycan to an i4 M50 if you search my post history. It's about as unbiased and in depth as you'll find.

One thing I'm a bit confused on.. the i4 is roomier than the Taycan, so I think there might have been a perception bias when you sat in it. It is smaller in size but you're not as locked into seating position as a Taycan and the storage is superior (cabin and trunk.)

I'd cross shop an i4 and a Taycan IF you're concerned about money. I'd never cross shop an i5 and a Taycan. The things the i4 does better than the Taycan (day to day livability, just a really nice size with a good amount of storage and seating) the i5 does not.

The i4 is a fantastic EV for the money. It's super easy to live with, the range is equal or slightly superior to a Taycan depending on spec, and it's a handsome car. But it's NOT a sportscar, it's a sporty luxury sedan that's super easy to live with and had a lot of speed.

The Taycan is a showstopper, but it's also twice the money and a bit of an awkward size for a cramped big city.

The iX is an amazing EV SUV that is completely ruined from looking like a minivan.

Thanks Frank, this is helpful.

DES_MX

First Name
DES_MX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan4 CT
Country flag
I5 is outdated tech on release, battery and motors based on i4, which is 400v architecture and just 81-82kwh net. i owned the i4 M50 and made the switch to Taycan 4 CT and never regretted even for a second

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
In the U.S., the charging architecture rarely makes a difference, at least in the Northeast, where, out of 16 CCS1 DCFC stops, the only time we came even close to the charging curve on either our i4 M50 or 4CT was when the BMW nav directed my wife to what it thought was Electrify America but turned out to be a strictly off-limits ABB R&D testing facility (complete with a security guard who arrived almost immediately yet then relented and let her stay a few minutes, which was all she needed at that speed).
My most recent 4CT CCS1 DCFC never got above 61kW at a “150” Electrify America charger.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I had an i4 rwd for a year and it was very enjoyable. It’s smaller than the Taycan which is an advantage and well suited to the UK country roads. However dislikes were the idrive8 which looks nice but kept addressing me by the wrong name for 10 months. Dreadful nav system and not intuitive in my view. Also it felt a bit heavy unlike the Taycan that wears its weight so well. Taycan feels a notch above and is the best of the cars you’re looking at in my view but I’m sure any of these cars would still be very enjoyable.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Looks are subjective, but I can tell you that I get stares all the time, because the way it looks, meaning unique, and not because it is relatively new or it is an EV. Other EVs all look boring, including a few Lucids and i7 barges in the area, and now looking at many pictures of i5, who likes all the rear bumper angle cut outs and large glued on screens inside, with lots of dials and switches - not me. The lookers obviously have no idea the way it drives. I was just going behind an open top older style Lambo on a good open road, and while it was making all that noise and drama with the engine sounds and pops, I felt like I was effortlessly flying around it and taking round abouts along the way like I am not even touching the ground. I like Porsche sounds from our 2 Turbo SUVs, and wife getting Macan GTS that comes with SE, but having flawless power with no drama, is just something else.

1696210868767.png
I’m a die hard petrol head but can’t see myself going back to an ICE car for my daily driver. I’d love an ev 911 but would be very infested in the up coming cayman ev.

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
The reviews of the I5 are being released now.
Sponsored