First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sounds like you know what you want. ?

PB+ does also give some extra performance as well.
0-60 are quoted as same, but improvements in overtaking times etc.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan 4S and bought a base model CT4. Not sure if that is a valid comparison to a RWD Taycan? What I can say is that I don’t notice any difference in enjoyment from the performance difference. The base CT4 is simply fabulous to drive and very quick
2WD vs AWD - not a fair comparison in certain scenarios but for mere mortals probably no perceptible differences.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan 4S and bought a base model CT4. Not sure if that is a valid comparison to a RWD Taycan? What I can say is that I don’t notice any difference in enjoyment from the performance difference. The base CT4 is simply fabulous to drive and very quick
That's me. I have a Taycan 4S and am switching over to a base CT4 when it arrives this fall. I love the sedan but think the CT4 is a better looking car and has more practicality to it.

When deciding what to go with, 4 vs 4S, I went with the 4. Having driven a RWD, the fun and enjoyment isn't too far off from the 4S, and the CT4 merges the differences even closer. The only real reason I can see regret between the RWD and 4S is not having the all wheel drive. If you live in a warmer climate it's a non issue. As a daily driver if you never plan to track it, you likely will never notice a difference.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
It helps not only for in town range when usage is higher, but also resale. FWIW my current loaner with standard battery has 200 miles @ 100% SOC.
That doesn't sound right. Everything I read is the RWD without PB+ gets much more than that.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Sounds like you know what you want. ?

PB+ does also give some extra performance as well.
0-60 are quoted as same, but improvements in overtaking times etc.
Plus Porsche does a wonderful job of downplaying the actual performance of their vehicles, and as you said, PB+ has more real world application like better passing speed boosts and better range. I can also promise if you ever go to resell the car, this is going to be an option prospective buyers are going to want to more than any other option.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've been toying with ordering a new one in Guards Red now that PTS colors are available.

I've been asking myself the same question - is RWD enough or should I get 4S?

I am pretty happy with my RWD range (~250 @85%) and wouldn't want to cut that. More performance would be nice though.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
As other said, it sounds like you won't miss the performance difference and that your money would be better spent on additional options. I'd maybe consider getting a CT4 instead-- gives you a bit of added performance and practicality but I know not everyone loves the CT's design (I personally think its gorgeous w/ the exception of the plastic wheel arches)

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
That doesn't sound right. Everything I read is the RWD without PB+ gets much more than that.
You're right, the RWD models seem to be the real world range winners. I'm sure a loaner isn't driven with the most care, and it likely impacts the projected range. Any gas loaner I have been given by my dealer usually showed 10mpg under its rated range. If I had a Taycan loaner and I had never driven one, I'd be having fun with it too.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
As others have said, if you are budget conscious and trying to keep it below 100k like I was with my RWD, you will not have any regrets going with it over the 4S. The RWD is still a very capable car and has good pickup when you need those bursts to make moves.

If both models were 20k cheaper, would I go for the 4S instead? Absolutely. Do I wish the RWD had a 0-60 of more like ~4s instead of 5+? Also yes, it hurt a bit going from my old Model S with 4.2 0-60 to this. Honestly, though, it's largely only noticeable when flooring from a stop and that is pretty much just a gimmick you do to impress yourself and your friends a couple times. If you don't need the AWD aspect of the dual motors, then you pretty much won't notice the difference.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Plus battery is a must.
Respectfully disagree. I have the regular battery. In our day to day use and daily nighttime charging (at $.01 . KWH) we show 225-230 mile range at 80% charge. (~280 mile at 100%) It is still summer so we will have to see reduction in winter. We use 10-20% of charge daily in weekday commuting so the big battery is of no value there.

With the expansion of the EA network and the charging speed, really not much difference end to end trip time. I used ABRP to map RWD Atlanta to Tampa with both regular and standard battery. On an 8 hour trip, the big battery got me there 15 minutes faster. Not much value there either.

Finally not at all convinced that the big battery will, in the end, result in recouping any added value at resale. We will have to see on that one. All of the fancy options I added to a custom Boxster S I built do not seem to be adding much if anything in resale value.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Finally not at all convinced that the big battery will, in the end, result in recouping any added value at resale. We will have to see on that one. All of the fancy options I added to a custom Boxster S I built do not seem to be adding much if anything in resale value.
With battery degradation what it is, it just makes sense a car with a bigger battery will have more appeal down the road. Just look at early Tesla's that are flooding the market now. The examples with the bigger battery and longer range are the models fetching the premium price. A larger battery that extends the life and range of the vehicle is different from a loaded Boxster filled with creature comforts or performance upgrades your average joe will never need. You have to remember that the more you drive this car, the more your range eventually trickles down, and that's when having the larger battery comes into play.

Range anxiety continues to be the #1 concern for prospective EV buyers, whether or not they need that extra range means nothing. Perception and peace of mind are everything.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Practically every dealer-spec Taycan I've seen has PBP, so I suspect it's already priced into the Taycan's book value.

Stormtrooper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
It helps not only for in-town range when usage is higher, but also resale. FWIW my current loaner with standard battery has 200 miles @ 100% SOC.
Hi, I sell these awesome EV's and I ordered one for myself without the Performance Battery Plus and am completely happy with it. I have driven every model on the LA Porsche Experience Center Track for training and they are all fantastic, and the RWD model with basic battery is still a lot of car for the money! I am consistently getting up 250 miles per charge when I charge to 100% and for my use, that is more than adequate, normally I only charge to 85% as Porsche recommends. If we need to go out of town and drive further than 250 miles we take my wife's 2020 Macan. Resale value was not a consideration, since we currently do not have any Taycan's in stock, and I have deposit's on two that are coming in soon. I have only seen one traded in since we started selling them and it did not last long. I do have a couple of allocations for a custom build if anyone is interested.

The Porsche Code for my Taycan: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMQW5NJ9

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Rating is 200, 225 for plus battery. My RWD ranges from 255-280 - it's also steadily improving as the miles get put on. (currently only 3K on it)

Reactions: B61

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
If we need to go out of town and drive further than 250 miles we take my wife's 2020 Macan. Resale value was not a consideration, since we currently do not have any Taycan's in stock, and I have deposit's on two that are coming in soon.
That's the issue - trips. I don't want to have to take another car for road trips and until EA expands the network it is difficult for longer trips with standard battery. Think about resale in the long-term.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61