DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I like the timeline, but to be honest I wouldn't buy an aftermarket adapter for a high voltage / high current connection.

An aftermarket adapter might pose the same problems as those we saw with NEMA 14-50 plugs, only at higher voltages and current.
A working physical adapter already exists at the Tesla Magic Dock test sites. What will take time is working out the vehicle communication and software issues with each OEM so you can plug and charge without using the Tesla app like at the test sites.
Sponsored

dugbug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 228i, X3
Country flag
Taycan:
-no better looking car on the road
-compliments daily
-good build quality/handling-all the stuff Porsche guys appreciate
-best AC in any vehicle ever owned
-some quirks, tech not as good as tesla
-kids complain it’s cramped in back
-what is that strange ticking noise?
-don’t know what it is with keyfob battery-but constantly needs replacing
-vehicle occasionally locks me out
-2 electric system failure lights-fixed at dealership
-otherwise reliable

Model S
-great tech and range
-comfortable for family of 5
-better computer than is car
-dated styling (my previous M3P felt like a 7 year old car after 2 years)
-much better app
-that acceleration
Well if you like the acceleration of the model S why did you get the RWD Taycan? Also, strangely, you did not mention the superchargers as one of the model S advantages. I would kind of replace the acceleration comment with the supercharger network.

Im not sure if it will come in handy but I got the 400v option with some fever-dream that the supercharger network would work better with my taycan.

And while this is not DC charging, I picked this up to keep in my glovebox if I ever find myself at a hotel with chargers but only Tesla units left to use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M6KFV9T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Porsche Taycan Anyone going back to a Tesla? 51R-vyvinyL._AC_SL1500_

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Range is more about how/where you drive than anything. I get 225 miles in warm weather, and about 185 in cold weather. Not as bad as OP claims, but pretty dead on the Porsche estimator for my spec.
that is about what I get in my '21 4s with the larger battery, and that is down from 245+.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
New to forum. Don’t kick me off for asking this…Porsche guy here. Have 2021 Taycan RWD (my 5th Porsche). Truly have had a passion for Porsches since my teens. Previously owned a Tesla Model 3 performance. Considering trading the Taycan for a Model S. Love the Taycan but the range is not great especially in winter. Live in rural area and commute quite a bit. No charging station on my commute. Even with performance battery plus can barely make it to work and back in the winter. Only 65 miles each way. Summer-no problem.

Anyone gone back to a Tesla after owning a Taycan. Thoughts?

Taycan:
-no better looking car on the road
-compliments daily
-good build quality/handling-all the stuff Porsche guys appreciate
-best AC in any vehicle ever owned
-some quirks, tech not as good as tesla
-kids complain it’s cramped in back
-what is that strange ticking noise?
-don’t know what it is with keyfob battery-but constantly needs replacing
-vehicle occasionally locks me out
-2 electric system failure lights-fixed at dealership
-otherwise reliable

Model S
-great tech and range
-comfortable for family of 5
-better computer than is car
-dated styling (my previous M3P felt like a 7 year old car after 2 years)
-much better app
-that acceleration
to answer the question from the "subject"
Anyone going back to a Tesla?
short answer "No!"

more nuanced answer…

it depends - I may have never left - if I want something pedestrian/normal/mid-ranged the answer is "I never left"…

the Tesla Model 3/Y are the best cars on the market right now for their price range and segment in my opinion (Model 3 RWD out the door new right now is less than a Honda Civic or Toyota what ever the f**k they make - I'll take a model 3 RWD over those choices any day) - you'd be a fool to buy anything else. Am I replacing my 2021 Cayenne or 2020 Taycan turbo with a 3 or Y? Don't be ridiculous - no! But would I rather have a Model Y over a Toyota RAV4 - everyday including Sunday. Does this mean I'm happy w/Tesla - not really - but the car is "good enough" and the EV Drive Train advantages sell it as well as the vast cargo room - but for creature comforts and general mechanical worthiness Tesla still has a long ways to go, but as an EV and a competitor to crappy alternatives I'll purchase the Tesla over other "normal" options…

but no I'm not going back to Tesla - in terms of a Model S vs. Taycan - keep the Taycan, Model X - too much money for too funky of a vehicle - CyberTruck? No I'd rather have Rivian or F150 EV if I wanted a truck…

you have to break it down by "segment" and what you're going for…
  • for high end yes I've left Tesla and I'm not going back
  • for mid range - I never left, but I'm looking for an escape vector, but honestly it's not there yet
  • for entry Level Chevy Bolt is an awesome choice - no Tesla here.
  • for a Truck - don't make me laugh…
  • for Charging I'm begging to get back in.
  • for home backup power - Tesla Powerwalls - you will pry those out of my cold dead hands and my wife's also
  • Internet - Starlink backups my oh-sooo crappy Comcast cable modem so myself/wife can keep earring our consulting $$ on zoom calls…
as with all things YMMV - but to as "leaving Tesla" or going back - the answer is it "depends" - Where Tesla is a clear choice - ya I'll begrudgingly be their customer - but given my 12+ years experience with them give me a competitive out to a decent alternative I'll bolt for the door and flip them off while I'm running away - but honestly in some cases they have no competition and are the only best choice.

Last edited:

MHC

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo, 2022 BMW IX,
Country flag
It sounds like the only issue with your Porsche is range. Consider a charger at your workplace? Alternatively I would look at the BMW IX air a lucid air for more range. The model S is solid but it’s biggest advantage is the Tesla charging network which will be open to everyone soon enough.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
10.5 hours in the Taycan which includes 52 minutes charging … 8 hours in our Model Y
Is this difference (9.5 hrs in your Taycan and 8 hrs in your Tesla) because the Taycan is slower?

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is this difference (9.5 hrs in your Taycan and 8 hrs in your Tesla) because the Taycan is slower?
😁 Good one. Actually they both are 0 to 60 in 3.5 sec. Difference is lack of CCS chargers. You can see for yourself using the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) app.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
😁 Good one. Actually they both are 0 to 60 in 3.5 sec. Difference is lack of CCS chargers. You can see for yourself using the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) app.
So is it because the route taking in chargers is much longer since even if you didn’t need to charge for 52 mins at all 9.5 hours - 52 mins is still longer that 8 hours.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I like the timeline, but to be honest I wouldn't buy an aftermarket adapter for a high voltage / high current connection.

An aftermarket adapter might pose the same problems as those we saw with NEMA 14-50 plugs, only at higher voltages and current.
Good point, especially given that the price for Tesla's own NACS-P <> CCS-R adapter is only $175, so the Tesla NACS-R <> CCS-P adapter will probably be priced similarly given that it's just the same thing but with the R<>P reversed.

(Even more curious is how Tesla asks for only another $275 to retrofit pre-2020 Teslas for whatever is necessary to support CCS communication protocols. Given that it is hard to get anything done to any vehicle for only $275, Tesla sure seems to be subsidizing the ability of its drivers to not be tied to Tesla's own DCFC network -- definitely not the kind of behavior that would seem to support the conspiracy theories that Tesla is trying to achieve some sort of DCFC monopoly.)

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Amazon NACS-P <> CCS-R options: about a dozen that are barely any less expensive that Tesla's adapter, and about another dozen hovering around $85-$100.
Of the cheaper models, I quickly (caveat: quickly, not exhaustively) looked up the one-star reviews and couldn't find any references to overheating, melting, etc.
However, I did find many reviews complaining about slow charging or a charger not working at all: welcome to CCS DCFC all you coddled Tesla Supercharger patrons!

Speaking of DIY charging solutions, check out this blast from the past:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15151453/2009-tesla-roadster-road-test/
C&D 2009 Roadster review said:
Prepare to pay thousands to a contractor to rewire for Tesla’s wall-mounted, VCR-size quick charger—it pulls a staggering 70 amps at 240 volts, about enough zap to run a laundromat. We chose the Homer Simpson route, spending $19.22 at the local hardware megabox for a 40-amp, two-pole circuit breaker, a few feet of heavy wire, and a common kitchen-range plug. Hammers, drills, and electrical tape were involved, though city building inspectors were notably absent. After an hour, vidi ˇcuda! (it means voilà ! in Nikola Tesla’s native Serbian), we had a Tesla home-charging station.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
A working physical adapter already exists at the Tesla Magic Dock test sites. What will take time is working out the vehicle communication and software issues with each OEM so you can plug and charge without using the Tesla app like at the test sites.
My impression from the various press releases is that the workaround next spring for CCS vehicles from the allied manufacturers will be removable adapters carried by each driver (just like the existing three different types of charging adapters).
By contrast, the Magic Dock test sites with an additional cable using a CCS plug have not been announced as expanding.
But agreed on your point that the ~12k V3 250kW Superchargers need to have some sort of means to recognize that the CCS vehicle requesting a charge is from one of the allied manufacturers, and then bill the driver.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So is it because the route taking in chargers is much longer since even if you didn’t need to charge for 52 mins at all 9.5 hours - 52 mins is still longer that 8 hours.
Both. Due to scarce CCS chargers the distance travelled to find them is roundabout and thus is much longer. Some are slow level 2 like the ChargePoint at the Hyundai dealer in Charleston WV that I’d need to spend 52 minutes at. Also it’s 10.5 hours. Try it on abetterrouteplanner.com

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We've had many Tesla's and my wife currently has a Taycan. I love driving the Taycan (except in reverse because of the awful camera) but I had the software. The Taycan is so far behind Tesla in software it's embarrassing.

It's even more embarrassing when the Porsche cult knocks Tesla every chance they get. Yes, the Porsche is pretty, handles better and has a better build quality but everything else is equal to or worse than Tesla.

My biggest grip is software, I can't believe how far behind they are after 3 years of major annual updates. My profile should remember evey setting I change (suspension, sound, regen, drive mode, seat position (sometimes it does but usually doesn't), etc. I shouldn't have to press the Homelink button for 2 seconds to open the garage door when I pull in the driveway, it should just happen like it does in a Tesla. I shouldn't have to power off the car or lock the car when I walk away, it should just happen like it does in a Tesla. I shouldn't have to wait 2-3 minutes before Spotify starts playing, it should happen instantly. Not to mention autopilot and the supercharger network....

With that being said, she loves the car and deals with it's faults. We both really want a convertible so hopefully they fix the software by the time the 718 comes out.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
[...] the Tesla Model 3/Y are the best cars on the market right now for their price range and segment in my opinion (Model 3 RWD out the door new right now is less than a Honda Civic or Toyota what ever the f**k they make - I'll take a model 3 RWD over those choices any day) - you'd be a fool to buy anything else. [...]
Out of curiosity, I compared the lower-range MY to the comparably equipped Subaru EV -- accounting for the $7.5k federal tax credit (whose "income" limit is not really income as AGI is way below what anyone considers income if pushing the $300k married cut-off), the Tesla is about $8k *less* expensive than the Subaru!

I also looked into a Tesla rental at Hertz for an upcoming trip so that I won't have to gas up at 4am before returning it: a Tesla is one of the cheapest possible options!

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
I also looked into a Tesla rental at Hertz for an upcoming trip so that I won't have to gas up at 4am before returning it: a Tesla is one of the cheapest possible options!
I've rented Teslas from Hertz on a few occasions - tough to go back to an ICEV even for a rental!

Keep in mind that you have to return the Model Y at >70% SOC to avoid being billed for re-charging. May not be an issue for you, but may require planning ahead...

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I've rented Teslas from Hertz on a few occasions - tough to go back to an ICEV even for a rental!

Keep in mind that you have to return the Model Y at >70% SOC to avoid being billed for re-charging. May not be an issue for you, but may require planning ahead...
I was curious about the exact %, so I looked on-line and found references to 10%, 20%, 70%, and 75% -- as well as the lesser of those or the SOC upon taking delivery.
Either way, when I then looked up the Tesla map for my itinerary (PDX > Mt Hood > Beaverton > PDX), yep, many choices for Superchargers!
(Although to be fair to CCS DCFC, many choices too, especially EA -- some of which might actually work?)
Sponsored