Anyone upgraded brakes/brake feel? Too soft!

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
I love my recently acquired Taycan Turbo but the brakes are just so soft compared to my 992 C4S. I wouldn’t expect the same level of braking power/bite, but the Taycan pedal seems surprisingly spongy for an otherwise beast of a car.

Has anyone successfully improved brake feel/bite on a Taycan? I currently have PSCB FWIW.

thanks!
Sponsored

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I love my recently acquired Taycan Turbo but the brakes are just so soft compared to my 992 C4S. I wouldn’t expect the same level of braking power/bite, but the Taycan pedal seems surprisingly spongy for an otherwise beast of a car.

Has anyone successfully improved brake feel/bite on a Taycan? I currently have PSCB FWIW.

thanks!
My PSCB brakes are not at all soft now, but were pretty bad before: a) bedding in properly and b) regen kicked in after the initial few hundred miles.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-at-400-miles-for-me-and-its-wonderful.14519/

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Get the brakes bled. Porsche did a really inconsistent job at bleeding the brakes from the factory and many forum members have complained about spongy, soft brake feel. My pedal felt noticeably better after a bleed. If it's a new car, the recuperation will kick in after 500mi or so and will just mask the spongy pedal.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Are you referring to normal, everyday driving when mostly using recuperation? If so, you can simulate the feel of a better brake pad bite by driving with overrun recup ON.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The brakes were bled as part of the CPO certification about 1 year ago.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bleeding is irrelevant to 90% of your braking, as it’s almost all from recuperation, not the physical brakes. If you’re talking about really hard braking where you actually engage the calipers that’s another story.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bleeding is irrelevant to 90% of your braking, as it’s almost all from recuperation, not the physical brakes. If you’re talking about really hard braking where you actually engage the calipers that’s another story.
I’m referring to the pedal feel/travel, which is unrelated to regen. I have regen on all the time.

I think I’m just feeling the stark difference between the 992 and Taycan

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m referring to the pedal feel/travel, which is unrelated to regen. I have regen on all the time.

I don’t think you understand how the Taycan brakes. When you press the brake pedal down in normal driving, I.e., light to medium pressure, you are not engaging the physical brakes at all. All of the moderate braking is done by the electric motor. The actual calipers and rotors are only activated at very significant levels of brake pedal pressure.

Take your foot off the gas, you get recuperative slowing. Press the brake pedal and you just get more recuperative slowing. Press the brake pedal really hard and you get actual physical brakes employed.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S

You can’t turn regen off. Unless you brake more than something like .5gs you are using nothing but regen.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't have a 992 for comparison but my brakes feel fine after the initial break-in period. Both with regular and emergency stops. I haven't noticed any sponginess.

However, the brake feel has been different in every car I've ever owned and is just something I adjust to after a bit of driving.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Really enjoying my (first EV & Porsche) Taycan... but did have to get used to the brakes initially. The pedal can feel soft for me as well (not overly so).

It's most pronounced in situations where I'm coming to a stop at a steep decline. It's as if I can feel the transition from the brake pedal controlling the engine braking to when the physical calipers engage. I've learned to just keep pressing the brake pedal deeper to create a smooth stop... but it did take some getting used to.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag

thanks!
This topic can elicit some strong opinions as to what "feels" normal. The car starts out with only mechanical brakes operating. After a number of miles (300 to 500 typically) the car activates recuperation braking. You have no control over this. Pushing the brake pedal engages recuperation. Pushing pretty hard engages the mechanical brakes. The car normally coasts/freewheels when you release the accelerator pedal. You can select to engage a mild level of recuperation when the accelerator pedal is released. That is the recuperation you have turned on. Since your car was CPO I'm sure the mechanical brakes were bedded in and recuperation was active. My car started out fine. I had no idea when brake pedal recuperation was first enabled other than the power meter on the dash. The feel transitioning between recuperation and mechanical braking was imperceptible. Recently my car had developed a softer pedal, inconsistent engagement pedal height and an intermittent loss of braking at very low speeds that drops the pedal an inch or so before reengaging the brakes. Not sure how much of this you are experiencing but initially I would have described my pedal feel as being firm. Now not so much. There are TSB's on this and I suspect your car isn't quite right.

Can't opine on how the Taycan stops vs your 992 but in a panic stop the Taycan will stop at well over 1.3 g. It stops really well when it has to.

Last edited:

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Perhaps a silly question... but doesn't the Taycan have "brake by wire", meaning that there's no mechanical connection between the brakes and the brake pedal? isn't it in fact a physical connection between the brake and the brake servo taht simulates pedal push back, and itself balance electric motor regeneration with physical brakes. So when you are pushing on the pedal, what you're feeling is not the pressure form the brake pads on the rotors?

Hence isn't a brake bleed meaningless? and instead a calibration of the brake servo is required?
Sponsored