Apple Music: via PCM vs. CarPlay - what are the pros and cons?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
wireless or wired carplay will be better in terms of audio quality than the limitation of bluetooth bandwidth vs. any codec Apple chooses to run over carplay (wired or otherwise).
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Firstly make sure 100% it's using connecting via USB rather then wireless. I had the same problem when I got my car recently. I can usually tell the difference wireless and wired but for reason in the Taycan I couldn't notice a difference. Bit of investigating I found even when connecting via USB it was still wireless carplay rather than wired. Went into the PCM and turned both the wifi and bluetooth off in the car so now only able to connect Carplay using a USB. There are 2 definate ways to know it's connected via wired is first your home/lock screen screen on your Iphone should change to say Apple Carplay and second while playing music disconnect the USB and music should stop. If it doesn't then car is connected using wireless not wired.
Hmm - well when my iPhone connects wirelessly to CarPlay the main locked screen highlights CarPlay so that does not seem to be an indicator of a wired state - or did I misread your post? Your other indicator sounds correct though.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Slightly off-topic but I turned off Wireless charging in my armrest compartment as I just don't like the phone getting quite so hot in there. Have yet to check but in doing so is there any other impact, for example, does it use the charger to also amplify signal - I would assume not and that would be entirely separate?

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Are there any benefits to login into Apple Music via the PCM and using it this way instead?
One benefit to using Apple Music through the PCM is that it can display song lyrics on the main and/or passenger screen (when the car is stationary). My kids love it and call it careoke. It’s a cool feature that even lets you scroll through the lyrics to seek to different spots in the song. AFAIK, Apple Music through CarPlay does not have this ability. I also just prefer the consistent look in the Media tab to using Apple Music through the PCM (and it saves phone battery life).

OP
OP
IBZman

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
One benefit to using Apple Music through the PCM is that it can display song lyrics on the main and/or passenger screen (when the car is stationary). My kids love it and call it careoke. It’s a cool feature that even lets you scroll through the lyrics to seek to different spots in the song. AFAIK, Apple Music through CarPlay does not have this ability. I also just prefer the consistent look in the Media tab to using Apple Music through the PCM (and it saves phone battery life).
A couple of good points here. And who’s not up for a bit if careoke!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I wonder does the rear screen entertainment options have similar?

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
I did think that but I see it will happily charge to 100% every time. I’m sure those engineers at Apple HQ know what they are doing, so like you say, I won’t worry about it!
If you go into settings -> battery -> battery state* -> optimized charging* you can have it charge even smarter.

*Norwegian locale, not entirely sure if it’s an accurate translation.

edit: sorry, I see someone already explained this.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Slightly off-topic but I turned off Wireless charging in my armrest compartment as I just don't like the phone getting quite so hot in there. Have yet to check but in doing so is there any other impact, for example, does it use the charger to also amplify signal - I would assume not and that would be entirely separate?
OK, just ignore me :) - well figured out that the '22 models dropped the antenna attached to the wireless sleeve (had thought it might be powered only when wireless charging active and mine is not).

Of course Apple Music works in car w/o your phone - and yes this has happened :)

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
Hmm - well when my iPhone connects wirelessly to CarPlay the main locked screen highlights CarPlay so that does not seem to be an indicator of a wired state - or did I misread your post? Your other indicator sounds correct though.
You might be right that it also shows Carplay while connecting via wireless. Car is currently at the detailers so unable to check but the music stopping if you disconnect the cable while playing music is definately a tell.
Sponsored