daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
A fairly decent car charger will provide 5A or more, the car would really have to be going some to deplete the battery with that much charging going on.

Bear in mind that even with a smallish 500mA draw, a 50AH battery will be dead in a couple of days.

Based on that, I suspect a mid range trickle charger (even via the OBD port, apparently fused around 5-15A) would keep the battery going. Doesn't solve the underlying problem though!
Porsche says no more than 3 amps via the ODBII port…and we know the battery will be dead in less than hour under these loads when the car is in this condition - cause it died in less than 6-7 hours even with the 800V stepping in to save it a few times…I’m going to SWAG it’s a much greater than 3 amp load…I think relying on a trickle charger to prevent this is questionable - and I’d also like to state again I’d suggest people not do this cause it hides the issue from us and Porsche.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/car-died-over-night….2525/#post-34466

I agree the underlying issue MUST be addressed.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can’t live with a car that is unreliable. I’m unfortunately at a stage in my life where I need to be at customer meetings etc. Can’t have a car that might not work! That all said, the dealer have given me a 991 loaner, now that’s a nice car, but honestly I think it’s atrocious! Loud, hard ride etc, never could go back to that now...
So back to Taycan or missing meetings?:)

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Got to love Amazon Prime! All I need now is a car......Last seen sitting at Emden!

300EA3FC-B5AA-4B82-A581-C2C4D49990F3.jpeg
I wish I could have used Amazon Prime for my car instead of waiting months from production to delivery!! I am still waiting - production delayed. Although Amazon has misplaced several of my packages - this would not be a good one to misplace or have a porch pirate steal. ;)

K-S

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911-992
Country flag
Car is now at the dealer for a recall. High voltage software. The guy said it MIGHT fix the problem. I doubt it. I’m going to ask them if not 100% fixed to register that fault properly with Porsche. I can’t live with a car that is unreliable. I’m unfortunately at a stage in my life where I need to be at customer meetings etc. Can’t have a car that might not work! That all said, the dealer have given me a 991 loaner, now that’s a nice car, but honestly I think it’s atrocious! Loud, hard ride etc, never could go back to that now...
For info, I have a launch Vehicle, Its had a number of Recalls including the above, interestingly they also swapped the Lithium Ion battery at the same time as a recall item. The Porsche LiIon battery keeper also works on the Taycan to keep the Battery topped off if need be for long storage. Obviously needs to be the newer one that supports LiIon batteries.

bojali

First Name
finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cayenne hybrid, CGT
Country flag
would be interested to see if there is a "vin number" trail of cars with this issue.. or a run during production. I've seen this with other P-cars models I have owned..

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my bet is on software - not a hardware problem - but I’ve been wrong before.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Forgive me but it troubles me that this issue still exists. Should I still buy the car? Its a bit like saying your 100k ICE car fails to start randomly vs my 10k vw up starts every time. You are paying a premium NOT to have these problems.

I also started this and thought no one had contributed as it shows no data but looking into it, currently 6 say they have issue vs 20 that say no. That's 24% with the issue!!!

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/12-volt-dead-battery-poll.2688/

Last edited:

991.2GT3man

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster Spyder, 991.2GT3 manual, Macau Turbo, 458 Spider, F12
Country flag
Forgive me but it troubles me that this issue still exists. Should I still buy the car? Its a bit like saying your 100k ICE car fails to start randomly vs my 10k vw up starts every time. You are paying a premium NOT to have these problems.

I also started this and thought no one had contributed as it shows no data but looking into it, currently 6 say they have issue vs 20 that say no. That's 24% with the issue!!!

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/12-volt-dead-battery-poll.2688/
I had the problem. It appears fixed. The car is amazing. I love it. Nothing compares.

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I had the problem. It appears fixed. The car is amazing. I love it. Nothing compares.
Well I am sure I will still buy it, I am just "spouting". Great to hear you're still happy regardless.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
. It appears fixed.
what evidence do you have that this problem is fixed? It’s happened to several people after the latest update and it’s a non-reproducible problem in the 1st place. The fact that it hasn’t happened “yet” does not mean it’s fixed.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
what evidence do you have that this problem is fixed? It’s happened to several people after the latest update and it’s a non-reproducible problem in the 1st place. The fact that it hasn’t happened “yet” does not mean it’s fixed.
To expand on your statement, and to repeat for others what you and I have discussed:

It is quite possible that there have been two (or more?) problems that have similar user-level symptoms (“dead 12v”). It is even likely that Porsche has fixed two problems (one in battery firmware, one in software) that have now left a third problem come to the surface, albeit less frequently.

Software is like that: you fix one bug, and you find another deeper bug that was being hidden by the symptoms of the first.