OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Scott, did you meanwhile get the grounding error problem fixed and - if so - what did you do? Thanks. I am experiencing the same problem.
I ended up bringing my charger to the dealership and I haven’t had the issue since. The car also got a software update at that time so I can’t be certain that the charger itself was fixed and it wasn’t fixed by the software update.
Sponsored

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
I ended up bringing my charger to the dealership and I haven’t had the issue since. The car also got a software update at that time so I can’t be certain that the charger itself was fixed and it wasn’t fixed by the software update.
So they changed your charger PMCC for a brand new one ?

Because I’ve experienced the same issue once so far, about a week ago(Have the car since end of August)
No explanation at all as to why it occurred. It gave me the error message when initiating the charging session.
I just ended up un plugging the PMCC from the 14-50 socket and replugging it. Has worked fine since then...

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Hi Scott, did you meanwhile get the grounding error problem fixed and - if so - what did you do? Thanks. I am experiencing the same problem.
I am also experiencing this problem with the PMCC going into a "grounding device error" condition. I have a timer and the general profile set. The timer is set to charge to 80% by 7am each day. The charge does succeed and initially it shows success and then within about an hour (the charger is still connected to the car) it faults. To resolve it I power the charger down and then back up. I've emailed Porsche but thought I'd see if anyone here has any bright ideas. The charger hardware version number is H13 (lucky 13!) and software 2914.

Does anyone not have this problem? If so, are you using a Profile or do you have that turned off? There is an option in the Profile for "Optimized Charging" that was on by default. I'm wondering if that is trying to be too clever so I've turned that off to see what happens. Thanks!

OP
OP
TaycanNJ

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So they changed your charger PMCC for a brand new one ?

Because I’ve experienced the same issue once so far, about a week ago(Have the car since end of August)
No explanation at all as to why it occurred. It gave me the error message when initiating the charging session.
I just ended up un plugging the PMCC from the 14-50 socket and replugging it. Has worked fine since then...
I don't think they gave me a new one. I believe they either updated the firmware on it or modified the software somehow. Either way, I have not had the issue since I got it back.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I am also experiencing this problem with the PMCC going into a "grounding device error" condition. I have a timer and the general profile set. The timer is set to charge to 80% by 7am each day. The charge does succeed and initially it shows success and then within about an hour (the charger is still connected to the car) it faults. To resolve it I power the charger down and then back up. I've emailed Porsche but thought I'd see if anyone here has any bright ideas. The charger hardware version number is H13 (lucky 13!) and software 2914.

Does anyone not have this problem? If so, are you using a Profile or do you have that turned off? There is an option in the Profile for "Optimized Charging" that was on by default. I'm wondering if that is trying to be too clever so I've turned that off to see what happens. Thanks!
I am still struggling with that Grounding Error on my PMCC and have not been able to successfully charge from the 240V outlet yet. The PMCC does work when using a regular 110V outlet and the same 240V outlet works fine with my Mustart mobile charger (at 32A) which I bought to keep in the trunk of my Taycan. Does anyone know whether the PMCC uses/needs the fourth neutral wire of a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the PMCC has no way to ‘read’ the neutral wire - there is _NO_ conductor/connection in the NEMA 14-50 supply cable - the neutral isn’t even wired up!

see the picture below:

Porsche Taycan Charging is not possible - Grounding device error IMG_1985

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Does anyone know whether the PMCC uses/needs the fourth neutral wire of a NEMA 14-50 outlet?
the neutral is not used - and it’s not used in a physical sense in that it’s not even wired up!

personally between the overheating problems and the phantom ground problems - I’m finding the PMCC not even worth the time to mess with it - there are far better and cheaper alternatives - see my picture above and you can see there is not even a conductor for the neutral wire in the Porsche NEMA 14-50 supply cable.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the PMCC has no way to ‘read’ the neutral wire - there is _NO_ conductor/connection in the NEMA 14-50 supply cable - the neutral isn’t even wired up!

see the picture below:

IMG_1985.jpg
Dave, thanks! That is what I figured as well. I am going to have the electrician come back tomorrow morning for one last check of the proper grounding. If that does not work, I will bring the PMCC back to the dealer for - ideally - a refund (unlikely) or another PMCC that hopefully works. The simple and inexpensive Mustart will carry me over meanwhile. Looks like there is a reason for the PMCC to now being a $0 option for model year 2020 Taycans...

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
OP is the continuity of all the conductors in the extension cord OK?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Will check. Thanks!
If possible flex the cable while measuring continuity. You will need three hands..... Also if possible can you plug PMCC directly into 14-50 outlet?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If possible flex the cable while measuring continuity. You will need three hands..... Also if possible can you plug PMCC directly into 14-50 outlet?
Thank you for this suggestion. I will check with my electrician tomorrow.

zardoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 BMW Z8 , 2010 BMW 1M , 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This happened to me for the first time today. No way it could be outlet. I used the same outlet for 7 years to charge a Tesla Model S without any issues. I had it on timer last night. Going to try direct charging when I get home tonight and see it is a real issue or just a glitch.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
This happened to me for the first time today. No way it could be outlet. I used the same outlet for 7 years to charge a Tesla Model S without any issues. I had it on timer last night. Going to try direct charging when I get home tonight and see it is a real issue or just a glitch.
I'm having the same issue. Are you also using a profile and if so are you using "optimized charging"? I'm going to try turning the profile off tonight on the logic that maybe "optimized charging" is trying to be too clever, but will use the timer (to be able to stop charging at 85%) to see what happens.

Porsche Taycan Charging is not possible - Grounding device error 1603402656719

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave, thanks! That is what I figured as well. I am going to have the electrician come back tomorrow morning for one last check of the proper grounding. If that does not work, I will bring the PMCC back to the dealer for - ideally - a refund (unlikely) or another PMCC that hopefully works. The simple and inexpensive Mustart will carry me over meanwhile. Looks like there is a reason for the PMCC to now being a $0 option for model year 2020 Taycans...
(Hopefully) final update. The electrician came back for the third time to only then discover that the 100A 240V garage line’s ground in the main panel in the basement was not properly connected. The PMCC worked as advertised after fixing this. Couple of conclusions:
1) the PMCC - like other EV chargers - does not need or use the 4th neutral wire in a NEMA 14-50 outlet (Dave was right again),
2) the Mustart mobile charger happily charged along at 32A before the ground was fixed. I am not sure that is a good thing...
Sponsored