kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I just want to bump this thread up and remind people to take DerekS's advice to check your tires often. I didn't, and this was the result:

I have 19,024 miles on the car.

taycan tow.jpg
taycan tire.jpg
Car ownership requires a level of responsibility and this is very dangerous. Checking your tyres once a month (minimum), is the very simplest of car maintenance. I check tyre pressure and fluids (which maybe isn't needed on a Taycan), even before every mildly long journey. As mentioned: this is a £2000 fine per tyre in the UK and rightly so imo. I've known people die from drivers who have this type of thing on their cars, so I hope you appreciate, it's an emotive subject for me.😲

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Car ownership requires a level of responsibility and this is very dangerous. Checking your tyres once a month (minimum), is the very simplest of car maintenance. I check tyre pressure and fluids (which maybe isn't needed on a Taycan), even before every mildly long journey. As mentioned: this is a £2000 fine per tyre in the UK and rightly so imo. I've known people die from drivers who have this type of thing on their cars, so I hope you appreciate, it's an emotive subject for me.😲
That is why I posted my experience - to remind others not to make the same mistake I did. These tires wear fast and on the inside edge, which is hard to see.

I am sorry for your loss of someone who died from this type of thing.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I guess it's a side benefit for washing my own cars since I can always see the tire thread while washing the rims. I always make sure the tires are at the proper pressure too so while filling them up, I check the thread as well. I think since there are services for everything available, owners lose touch with their properties not just cars.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is why I posted my experience - to remind others not to make the same mistake I did. These tires wear fast and on the inside edge, which is hard to see.

I am sorry for your loss of someone who died from this type of thing.
No fair enough and tbh I'm glad nothing happened that meant you had to rely on the tyres! 😲 :like: I just have a strong reaction when I see tyres in that state. Maybe it's a reason why I check the tread across the tyre most weeks and certainly before any journeys longer than 100 miles each way.

I guess it's a side benefit for washing my own cars since I can always see the tire thread while washing the rims. I always make sure the tires are at the proper pressure too so while filling them up, I check the thread as well. I think since there are services for everything available, owners lose touch with their properties not just cars.
Yes I agree in terms of washing my own cars. I find it cathartic anyway and it gives me the benefit of knowing every inch of the cars on a regular basis 🙂

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No fair enough and tbh I'm glad nothing happened that meant you had to rely on the tyres! 😲 :like: I just have a strong reaction when I see tyres in that state. Maybe it's a reason why I check the tread across the tyre most weeks and certainly before any journeys longer than 100 miles each way.

Yes I agree in terms of washing my own cars. I find it cathartic anyway and it gives me the benefit of knowing every inch of the cars on a regular basis 🙂
Sometimes knowing too much is not good either. I had never noticed the 1/4" curb rash on one of the rims before until I washed it. I asked, and my wife admitted to lightly made contact with the curb. Now that I know it's there, I can't stop looking at it every time I drive the car. 😢

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sometimes knowing too much is not good either. I had never noticed the 1/4" curb rash on one of the rims before until I washed it. I asked, and my wife admitted to lightly made contact with the curb. Now that I know it's there, I can't stop looking at it every time I drive the car. 😢
Yeah you see I'd rather know and go get it refurbished.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I guess one take home from this is that they can wear out on the inside edge which is much more difficult to see. You would need to specifically look there to pick it up

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Hey All,

I think this is likely mostly due to the high weight that these tires have to bear and the fact that the Porsche alignment specs likely call for more aggressive camber than is warranted for the way that most of us drive these cars, which would explain why the very inner tire fails first (i.e., we don't corner hard enough often enough so most of the wear occurs on that very inner bit).

I once learned my lesson about this in a 911 that had a track alignment. Very rainy weekend at the track and the very inner part of my tires wore down far more than I had realized (you could inspect tires from the side and they looked fine with plenty of tread, which is all I did since I didn't want to get down on the wet ground). In retrospect, this made sense because nobody could corner as hard during heavy rain, so cars with camber would spend more time riding on the inner half/edge than they normally would.

In any event, I hydroplaned on a straight during heavy rain at over 100 mph since there was less tread on the inside. After promptly farting a couch the same material as my seat, fireproof suit and undies upon returning to the pits, I recorded deep down in my lizard brain to not be lazy about tire inspections any more . . .

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was talking with someone about EVs a couple of weeks ago and they were telling about all the the “problems” with EVs.

The person spoke of an acquaintance that had a tire blow out or something while driving. The “problem” being that, because EVs do not need to be serviced as often, things like tires go ignored and cause larger issues later.

I politely suggested that it’s maybe not the car’s fault and the owner probably bears some responsibility to periodically check their own tires…

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
It’s worth suggesting that to get the most out of your tires, keep an eye on your pressures too. With the performance camber specs and high weight of our cars, low pressures will further accelerate inner edge wear.

I run my pressures 3psi over spec and have added the maximum positive camber to the rears, which is only about 0.6 degrees less neg. camber than stock. I also flipped my tires direction at 10k miles so inside edges are now outside. And expect to get another 5-10k out of the fronts, more for the rears (due to the alignment changes). Well spent $100 for tire flipping with a value return that’s probably ten fold. Some may scoff at running the tires backwards but it’s no big deal, especially if not driven on wet roads and the tread pattern is not extremely asymmetric.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Some may scoff at running the tires backwards but it’s no big deal, especially if not driven on wet roads and the tread pattern is not extremely asymmetric.
So do you just pull over if it rains and wait for the road to dry? It will depend on the tread pattern but they probably won’t clear water properly if it is wet

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
So do you just pull over if it rains and wait for the road to dry? It will depend on the tread pattern but they probably won’t clear water properly if it is wet
Outside tread blocks will probably still clear water better than non existent inside tread blocks. But I’m not a tire engineer.

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
High performance summer tires are have very fast treadwear in general. If you don't need EVERY little bit of traction in the dry, the all-seasons option should get you longer tire life and, as a bonus, better performance in the rain. Where I live, the performance in the rain is massively more important to me than dry traction. Different story in the sunbelt
Sponsored