Could not remove charger handle at remote station: GOOD TIP

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
My car charges at home locked every night. I have no problems in the morning ,with the key in my pocket, to simply press the charge button by the port, which unlocks the charger handle. I would bring it to dealer to investigate.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
But it doesn’t unlock the charger when you unlock the car? You have to use the emergency release every time? If so that is a stupid design.
It does but additionally you have to press the release button for the cable connector to remove from the charge port.

If not then the cable would simply fall out.

Next time listen as you insert the connector into the port when you will here the latching mechanism grab the connector. Locking the car then locks the mechanism, unlocking unlocks and to release press the button.

The emergency release is used when things go wrong and the unlatching mechanism fails to release. Can happen but thankfully fairly rarely.

Good design I'd say.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My car charges at home locked every night. I have no problems in the morning ,with the key in my pocket, to simply press the charge button by the port, which unlocks the charger handle. I would bring it to dealer to investigate.
I don't think there is an issue here. The car was locked and therefore so too was the charging cable connector. If you don't realise and don't do a default action of unlocking the car and then pressing the release button then no amount of pulling and hauling will release it!

Nuclear option is to then use the emergency release once all other possibilities have been exhausted.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I have had 3 wrestler incidents so far. In absence of the above information and after much cursing and yanking I found restarting and stopping the charge again seemed to reset and allow removal. Next time I will unlock the car... DOH!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have had 3 wrestler incidents so far. In absence of the above information and after much cursing and yanking I found restarting and stopping the charge again seemed to reset and allow removal. Next time I will unlock the car... DOH!
Oh and RTFM!! 🤣🤣

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did this happen at Madisonville or Huntsville?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Yes, every time you charge a Taycan in public, you have to pull a cord in the door jam to get the handle to release…
this is one time I can concur with your snarkiness

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
One more tip, it's best to hit the stop button on the charger if ending the session when the charger is still dispensing juice, rather than depressing the buton on the Taycan charge port initially to stop the session.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I don't think there is an issue here. The car was locked and therefore so too was the charging cable connector. If you don't realise and don't do a default action of unlocking the car and then pressing the release button then no amount of pulling and hauling will release it!

Nuclear option is to then use the emergency release once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
That's just it. Idon't have comfort entry enabled so car stays locked if I walk around it with my key. When I approach my locked car with my key, I can press the button in the charge port which unlocks the handle. If i try the same without the key, nothing happens - the handle is not unlocked.

So to me, "normal" is that as long as you have the key on you, you can unlock the handle regardless of whether or not the car is locked.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't follow the logic of not having the full benefit of the comfort pack enabled - it can be temporarily disabled from the fob if needed.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I may be missing an important detail here somewhere, but if the plug that covers the emergency pull string is inside the door jamb one would have to unlock the car to gain access. At that point, the charge port mechanism should also unlock.

The OP must have assumed the charge plug was still locked in place and not checked it before going ahead with removing the plug and yanking the string. Just want to understand the sequence of events before this happens to me!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I may be missing an important detail here somewhere, but if the plug that covers the emergency pull string is inside the door jamb one would have to unlock the car to gain access. At that point, the charge port mechanism should also unlock.

The OP must have assumed the charge plug was still locked in place and not checked it before going ahead with removing the plug and yanking the string. Just want to understand the sequence of events before this happens to me!
Precisely!

OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
Did this happen at Madisonville or Huntsville?
Huntsville....and the ring in the charge port was red! This indicates error. I am only assuming my wife locked car...and assuming "unlocking car" would have released it. My doors/windows were open, the key in the car so the more I think about it...it couldn't have been locked if I had the passenger door open to release latch! I also had an error on the PCM about the charging port.

So bottom line, something else set it off. Perhaps locking and unlocking car would have remedied it but the nuclear option (plug/string pull) is good to know regardless.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Good tip if your charging handle can't be removed: don't panic!

Apart from the OP's issue, which may have just been a locked car, sometimes charging handles do get stuck on the car. I had this case with a clipper creek level 2 charger at work. A quick search online led me to their website and it's a known issue with known fixes.
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/CC_Stuck-Nozzle-Final-edit.m4v

Same search showed this happens to other chargers, like EA, and there's other similar posts to explain how to remove a handle that is actually stuck. For example:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/if-the-charging-plug-gets-stuck.4463/

Marzander

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I was driving to Houston from Dallas with my wife and stopped off at an EA for a fill up. For some reason it did not recognize my car when I plugged in but attribute this to Porsche dealer totally resetting my PCM because all secondary screens would randomly go out. (After sitting overnight, they would come back) To get the EA station to charge my car, I had to go into the My Porsche app, click on bottom map icon, then click on fuel station icon in middle. Then click on the EA station on the map, then select the pod number and then "start charging" button and it worked. (BTW - They have two handles at each pod but only one at a time can actually work!)

Anyway, I was charging away while sitting in car when an EQS450+ pulls up next to me. So I get out of my car and start chatting with him, reminding him how ugly the outside of his is and asking about any issues with electronics. He said he has had a lot but overall happy with car. I shared my alarm issues and black screen issues and said the same about my Taycan. Meanwhile my wife locked the car doors unbeknownst to me while I was bantering outside the car, even though I left my door open.

After EQS guy and I said our goodbyes, I went to stop my charge and extract the handle only to find it would not release. I went to inside my car and noticed an error message on the passenger charger port. I tried stopping charge via app and via pushing the flashing green button...it then went RED. I was stuck. Could not get the handle out of my car. So I called 1-800-PORSCHE and learned that inside each door jam 6" from the charger access panel is a nickel sized plug cap. I popped it off and 7" of string fell out attached to the plug. If you pull the string it will manually release the charging handle and it can be extracted. However, it was spring loaded and thus it really took two people; one to pull the string while the other extracts the heavy handle. It took a little work slipping the string back in but I was on my way.

I got to my destination and started a level 1 charge at the home I was at, locked my doors and went to sleep. The next day, I tried to extract the handle again and it was stuck! I unlocked the doors and went in car to see if that error message was there and it was not. I went back to the handle and tried to extract again and out it came. As it turns out, if you lock your car, it will lock that handle onto your car. The first time my wife locked the doors unbeknownst to me, even with mine open thus it never dawned on me it was locked. The second time it made sense when I unlocked the door and drew the obvious conclusion; locking car, locks handle. This makes sense since someone could unplug you unknowingly if you re not there.

I sure wish both my dealer and 1-800-PORSCHE told me this! Hope this story helps the next person.
Drove from Destin to Tampa, and had to call the Electrify America people every charge to release the red ring of death as my wife kept locking the doors on me...now I know why this occurred. Did not know the easy solution was to unlock my doors. Thank you for the update.
Sponsored