NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The WMA7 update, updates the power and communication board from the mobile charger connect. You can not do this at home! Only Porsche is able to do the necessary update from the Power and communication board of the Mobile Charger Connect.
Is this 100% confirmed - that WMA7 involves a hardware update? I just got my MY20 and PMCC back from both WMA5 and WMA7 and the Taycan tech at my dealer said the PMCC update was only software for my unit. Maybe I already had a new communications board in there - but my care and PMCC were delivered about a year ago so I don't know when there was a cut-over if it was before then, nor do I know how to tell which version I might have. This isn't likely a problem at all for me since I have a private garage and no need for any of the features I suspect such a hardware update may enable - like VIN and SOC communication from the vehicle to the charger...
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is this 100% confirmed - that WMA7 involves a hardware update? I just got my MY20 and PMCC back from both WMA5 and WMA7 and the Taycan tech at my dealer said the PMCC update was only software for my unit. Maybe I already had a new communications board in there - but my care and PMCC were delivered about a year ago so I don't know when there was a cut-over if it was before then, nor do I know how to tell which version I might have. This isn't likely a problem at all for me since I have a private garage and no need for any of the features I suspect such a hardware update may enable - like VIN and SOC communication from the vehicle to the charger...
WMA7 is only a software update. You probably misunderstood the post you quoted. It does not speak about any hardware update.

Last edited:

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan S, Mclaren 720S
Country flag
Seems this SW upgrade implementation is a mess. it took me a month to get the car booked in to my local Dealer and today - 2 days before it was due, I get a call to postpone it until the 24th May because they are having big problems with every one that they have attempted so far.

Have Porsche done their testing on this ?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Seems this SW upgrade implementation is a mess. it took me a month to get the car booked in to my local Dealer and today - 2 days before it was due, I get a call to postpone it until the 24th May because they are having big problems with every one that they have attempted so far.

Have Porsche done their testing on this ?

If you follow the threads there is a range of experiences. It does seem some of the issues "follow the dealer" as it were. I know my dealer has done multiple cars with no major issues, only some restarts. Most seem to take them 2 to 3 days max. I scheduled mine 2 weeks out from when I called, there was no delay to take it in, and it took 2.5 days as the software crashed in one part. I know they have cars from various production ranges (mine is a launch vehicle, they had done more recent 4S models too).

So maybe its the equipment at the dealer, maybe its the skill level, maybe its how closely they follow the instructions? I am sure there are issues as they go and Porsche may revise the process, but its complex and multi step.

Keep in mind if you are concerned you don't have to get the update. You can wait a while and let it all shake out. There is nothing required in this update.

All I'll say is at least for me its almost like I have a new car. There are many subtle and not so subtle improvements that I really like. The latest one I noticed is how much faster it is to connect to the car remotely, set and change various timers and profiles. It used to be an exercise in patience, now it is so much better.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here are the links for the US technical service bulletins for WMA5/7 with the detailed instructions the dealer technician should follow. WMA5 is 41 pages long...

WMA5 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189878-0001.pdf
Pages 35-37 has detailed list of software improvements.

WMA7 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189909-0001.pdf

Reading through this document with all these requirements it is clear that this generation will never receive control module updates via OTA. Requirements:
- maintain voltage between 13.8V and 14.8V by externally supplying power to the 12v battery
- steady wifi connection for PIWIS
- PIWIS battery should be adequately charged
- big battery should remain between 30% and 80%
- key should be placed in a special position inside the cupholder
- PCM is updated via a usb stick which is erased and rewritten for every car. (Somebody should tell them that many usb sticks develop bad sectors and need full format to isolate the bad sectors before writing again.)

It is no surprise some updates fail.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Here are the links for the US technical service bulletins for WMA5/7 with the detailed instructions the dealer technician should follow. WMA5 is 41 pages long...

Reading through this document with all these steps requirement it is clear that this generation will never receive control module updates via OTA. Requirements:
- maintain voltage between 13.8V and 14.8V by externally supplying power to the 12v battery
- PCM is updated via a usb stick which is erased and rewritten for every car. Somebody should tell them that many usb sticks develop bad sectors and need full format to isolate the bad sectors before writing again.

Nice work Chris!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Reading through this document with all these requirements it is clear that this generation will never receive control module updates via OTA. Requirements:
- PCM is updated via a usb stick which is erased and rewritten for every car. (Somebody should tell them that many usb sticks develop bad sectors and need full format to isolate the bad sectors before writing again.)

Great information, thanks.

One thing I noted for the update of the charger WMA 7, was that charging information and remaining range etc, should now be able to be displayed on the charger? Has anybody with a MY20 and PMCC seen 5his? Mine does not show anything and I seem to hve the correct sw versions as per the document now.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

One thing I noted for the update of the charger WMA 7, was that charging information and remaining range etc, should now be able to be displayed on the charger? Has anybody with a MY20 and PMCC seen 5his? Mine does not show anything and I seem to hve the correct sw versions as per the document now.
My PMCC doesn't show that either.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

this is most likely limit to MY’21 or later vehicles. To date no MY’20 vehicle owner (including myself) has been able to demonstrate this feature working with the PMCC.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

OMG - it’s worse than I could’ve imagined - this generation of vehicle will NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS have any meaningful OTA updates - OMG Porsche has completely missed the boat on this one and claiming the Taycan model line is OTA update capabable is simply a flat out lie. It could even be a class action based on misleading comments from Porsche leader ship on this topic. They are at least a decade behind Tesla in this space.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag

Honestly this is not an issue really, most of them now do this behind the scenes and transparently.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OMG - it’s worse than I could’ve imagined - this generation of vehicle will NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS have any meaningful OTA updates - OMG Porsche has completely missed the boat on this one and claiming the Taycan model line is OTA update capabable is simply a flat out lie. It could even be a class action based on misleading comments from Porsche leader ship on this topic. They are at least a decade behind Tesla in this space.
Dave, have you been on the Tesla forums again? ?

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't have the complete list of firmware modules in the vehicle, but it's possible the WMA5 or WMA6 campaign updates them all, perhaps to update something around security for OTA updates. That said, while the voltage, WiFi, battery charger, key position, etc. requirements all certainly sound like roadblocks for everything but PCM / Infotainment system updates, it is possible additional OTA update functionality has been enabled and we may see more in the future.

It's also probable that Porsche doesn't want to go 100% OTA. They want customers to visit the dealer occasionally.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I don't have the complete list of firmware modules in the vehicle, but it's possible the WMA5 or WMA6 campaign updates them all, perhaps to update something around security for OTA updates. That said, while the voltage, WiFi, battery charger, key position, etc. requirements all certainly sound like roadblocks for everything but PCM / Infotainment system updates, it is possible additional OTA update functionality has been enabled and we may see more in the future.

It's also probable that Porsche doesn't want to go 100% OTA. They want customers to visit the dealer occasionally.
I guess the only thing we can do is guessing, obviously.
In this, Tesla is more clear cuz they like to show off.
Well, obviously it is something to show off about, credit where credits due.
We'll see about OTA in the future but for me, I couldn't care less.
My car drives fantastic, a joy, from day one.
Now even my OTA-module is working reliably so the car got even better.
I really don't care if that is done by OTA or a visit to the dealer.
Main thing is, my car is getting better.

Or maybe first, the bugs on some cars/dealers/procedures should be taken care of but in the end it'll be better.
OTA or not, that's the main thing.

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The sad thing is OTA would not only improve the customer experience, it would significantly reduce Porsche’s costs. Think of all the wasted labor across all the dealers.
I guess the only thing we can do is guessing, obviously.
In this, Tesla is more clear cuz they like to show off.
Well, obviously it is something to show off about, credit where credits due.
We'll see about OTA in the future but for me, I couldn't care less.
My car drives fantastic, a joy, from day one.
Now even my OTA-module is working reliably so the car got even better.
I really don't care if that is done by OTA or a visit to the dealer.
Main thing is, my car is getting better.

Or maybe first, the bugs on some cars/dealers/procedures should be taken care of but in the end it'll be better.
OTA or not, that's the main thing.
I disagree with your sentiment a bit, and here’s why: The cost to Porsche to deploy new software (bug fixes, new features) is clearly immense in contrast to Tesla. The marginal cost to Tesla to add a new feature or tweak inverter/drive unit code to squeeze out better performance and range is small.

A decrease in .1 sec 0-60? Sure, why not.
Add another 3 miles of range? Sure, why not.
Use the built in cameras as a dashcam, and offer it as a feature without charging anything additional after the fact? Sure, why not.
Change the L3 charging curve to save 1 minute? Sure, why not.

All these things Porsche will never do because the cost to deploy them greatly outweighs the value. We’re only ever going to see occasional major bug fixes from Porsche, in contrast to the continuous improvement we see from Tesla. When you buy a Taycan, what you get at delivery is more or less what you’ll have for your entire ownership experience. With Tesla, the car continues to improve. As a result, I believe the Taycan will depreciate faster than a Tesla. Time will tell.
Sponsored

Last edited: