Dealer Software Update

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is most likely limit to MY’21 or later vehicles. To date no MY’20 vehicle owner (including myself) has been able to demonstrate this feature working with the PMCC.
The linked WMA7 TSB covers MY 2020 and the description does not differentiate between 2020 and 2021. The dealer has no clue why the update does not do what it is supposed to.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The linked WMA7 TSB covers MY 2020 and the description does not differentiate between 2020 and 2021. The dealer has no clue why the update does not do what it is supposed to.
Ok so it has not been working for any MY20 Taycan? It is a pity for all the information is expected also in the MyPorsche web site. And as you say there is no differentiation between model years in the TSB?

Software is difficult for Porsche!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Somewhere else someone had said there is a hardware difference in the MY20 vs. MY21 Taycan charging communication electronics - MY20 may not have the hardware for encrypted communication with the PMCC. This same hardware is likely required for plug and charge, and that's not available on MY20 Taycans either. That said, there could be a configuration (with or without 19.2 kW charger for example) that DOES have the needed hardware.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Somewhere else someone had said there is a hardware difference in the MY20 vs. MY21 Taycan charging communication electronics - MY20 may not have the hardware for encrypted communication with the PMCC. This same hardware is likely required for plug and charge, and that's not available on MY20 Taycans either. That said, there could be a configuration (with or without 19.2 kW charger for example) that DOES have the needed hardware.
I suspect that it may not even be by model year; it almost seems like some of the modules are defective in some pecuilar way that requires them to be replaced. Too many "replaced modules" on these Boards...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll second Dee's perspective here - the car is better, not worse after the update. Is it life changing better? Not for me, but better, and appreciated. And I don't mind having to go to the dealer. My dealer always has something interesting to drool over - this time the new GT3 and two 918 Carerras.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I suspect that it may not even be by model year; it almost seems like some of the modules are defective in some pecuilar way that requires them to be replaced. Too many "replaced modules" on these Boards...
I've start reading the service bulletin of the WMA5 campaign and even while I'm still at page 6 of 40, I now fully understand why some dealers just screw up things.
Let alone the voltage of the 12V-battery which should be kept between 13,8 and 14,8V, it needs a suitable Li-charger which must provide at least 90A of current during the process.
Also the battery of the PIWIS test equipment (which, itself, should be at sw version 40.000.045)...
If not, the damage caused isn't reversible.
Similar like flashing your bios chip in your computer while having an unstable power supply, your computer won't turn on anymore cuz it's lost it's "DNA".
Dead.

Then we have the base for the updates (for both programming and coding) which should be at sw version VR8.7, if not it should first be updated by WLC5 from VR8.5 to VR8.6, then WLG2 or WLG6 (which I had in November last year) to get to VR8.7, the base.
All this is to get to VR12.1.1 by the WMA5.
If a module is updated in the wrong order, it WILL damage the unit...
I'm still reading but I already understand this is a job that requires skillfull employees.
Very nice read though. :)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@Dee , nice summary so far.
I look forward to the executive summary, max 1 A4 page once you have finished reading!;)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
@Dee , nice summary so far.
I look forward to the executive summary, max 1 A4 page once you have finished reading!;)
Read it yourself, it's fun!
It's better to have some actual info instead of all the guessing... :)
And maybe, after the reading, there's the understanding why this can't be done by OTA.

Attachments

Last edited:

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Having a mare getting mine into the dealer for the update. I’ve had to cancel twice because of work commitments. To rebook with either a courtesy car or a collect and drop off. My dealer is looking at almost 6 weeks wait. Tried the Winslow dealer last week and told them it needs the software update recall done, they said we don’t do that work here. What’s the point in buying a premium brand to get service like this.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Read it yourself, it's fun!
It's better to have some actual info instead of all the guessing... :)
And maybe, after the reading, there's the understanding why this can't be done by OTA.
Yep, read the whole thing. Interesting.

Thanks

Reactions: Dee

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I've start reading the service bulletin of the WMA5 campaign and even while I'm still at page 6 of 40, I now fully understand why some dealers just screw up things.
Let alone the voltage of the 12V-battery which should be kept between 13,8 and 14,8V, it needs a suitable Li-charger which must provide at least 90A of current during the process.
Also the battery of the PIWIS test equipment (which, itself, should be at sw version 40.000.045)...
If not, the damage caused isn't reversible.
Similar like flashing your bios chip in your computer while having an unstable power supply, your computer won't turn on anymore cuz it's lost it's "DNA".
Dead.

Then we have the base for the updates (for both programming and coding) which should be at sw version VR8.7, if not it should first be updated by WLC5 from VR8.5 to VR8.6, then WLG2 or WLG6 (which I had in November last year) to get to VR8.7, the base.
All this is to get to VR12.1.1 by the WMA5.
If a module is updated in the wrong order, it WILL damage the unit...
I'm still reading but I already understand this is a job that requires skillfull employees.
Very nice read though. :)
Dropped my car off today for the software update and after reading about a lot of the experiences with the update and dealer variability during installation I am more worried than when I dropped my car off. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, and the car comes back better than when I dropped it off. They have done a few cars and had positive reviews so far from what the service advisor told me. It will take 2-3 days, expected back on Thursday. I got a 2020 Taycan 4S loaner that is very similar to my car, but I think it has already had the update as it has wireless Apple CarPlay.

Reactions: Dee

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well. I waited months for my car at the port. Then 3 days to do the software update again. Car still has major issues. Eg. passengers screen locked up and worse! It sometimes shows that the; wheel drive unit is defective. Car goes into a Severe Limp mode- dangerous on the highway- and then acts normal the next day.
This is Not fixed. This car is not ready the public. Dealership service guy admitted that they just don’t really know how to work on them yet.
Outrageous Porsche! Someone is going to get severely injured.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thought I’d add my experience 2020 turbo with innodrive, lane keep etc.. Took car in last Wednesday was able to pick up following week on Thursday.

Everything working as expected, garage opener still programmed, but cockpit display and dash button needed to be set back to my preferences.

Sounds like I’m a lucky one as compared to others on the forum.
Sponsored