xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
You cannot live your whole life in fear of the unlikely. Shit happens, just not as often as our neural intuition tells us based on what we see in the media and the internet. I
Thank you for this. So many people are like "i really like the porsche taycan but i can't risk buying one with the charging infrastructure the way it is." Like really? lol. You're going to give up a beautiful car like this because you're worried you might have to take 5 extra minutes charging at an EA station?

Politics aside, inflation reduction act has earmarked a lot of money to expand the charging network and with tesla getting into the game, there is only one way to go from here, and that's up. But i would still buy a Taycan if there was NO EA stations, because 99% of my travels are within 50 miles of my house.
Sponsored

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Thank you for this. So many people are like "i really like the porsche taycan but i can't risk buying one with the charging infrastructure the way it is." Like really? lol. You're going to give up a beautiful car like this because you're worried you might have to take 5 extra minutes charging at an EA station?

Politics aside, inflation reduction act has earmarked a lot of money to expand the charging network and with tesla getting into the game, there is only one way to go from here, and that's up. But i would still buy a Taycan if there was NO EA stations, because 99% of my travels are within 50 miles of my house.
I feel the same way, never considered not getting the Taycan because of the charging network. Have had an Audi Etron for the past 3 years and enjoyed every minute of using it. We also mostly use our vehicles for local commuting, but looking forward to learning and getting comfortable with the public charging network for my first road trip. In the process of researching the route and planning, I’m confident it will work out fine. Mentally preparing for the possible glitches in the journey, will allow me to enjoy the adventure even more.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Will be picking up my 4S CT on Monday, just squeaking by for a February delivery. Confirmed no stop sale due to HV heater issue, assume it will be recalled and replaced once they clear the backlog of the ones waiting right now. Will post pics once I get it home.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
EV travel is not so bad. I've been driving Tesla Model S'es for the last decade, including drive cross country, so I'm somewhat used to the EV mode of transport. Not for everyone. If you are one to fuel up your diesel, then drive for 8hrs+ straight till the next fuel-up, EV is not for you. I personally prefer to stop every 100-160 miles. Stretch out a little, use the facilities, get a snack of drink refresh, maybe pickup some supplies such as windshield wiper fluid. I never used a non-Tesla network before, so was a little apprehensive, but after punching in the trip into ABRP I realized there are plenty of chargers along the way. I ended up driving along the ABRP route, but punching in individual chargers into the Porsche navigation so I get the benefit of battery preheat. Punching in the entire trip to Porsche nav was too much for it to handle, plus it had some very annoying features, such as one time when my estimated destination SOC dropped under 10% (even though it though we'd get there with 35% initially), it decided to add a charging spot, 6 feet earlier (the 150KW EA station instead of the 350KW EA I selected, same location) which caused it to keep on showing 10% destination SOC, only the time to charge at the next stall over was growing. ABRP also included weather and traffic in the estimated energy consumption, which came handy during changing winter weather (hint, you have to restart ABRP app and relaod the trip for it to get the most recent weather and traffic). More details in my upcoming trip report posting, hopefully this weekend.
Very helpful perspective. I test drove a couple of Taycans (RWD, 4S) on multi day journeys (those days are more than a year ago) to understand how I would handle the stopping/charging every couple hours (preference anyway) when going to locations that I support for work and it did not go as I expected. EA locations were on the way but getting to them was very time consuming (tucked into a Wal-Mart parking lot with lots of stop lights and turns to get to) vs. swinging by a gas station along the highway and required some planning to be sure on the same day coming back, so I would not run out, since end point did not have any EA stations close by. One EA station was in a restaurant parking lot, so I took advantage of it and enjoyed monitoring the charging on my phone. None of these were deal breaker as I enjoyed every bit of it, even calling EA line since plug/charge would not work a single time (may be because it was a dealer car) and it was cold/windy and the procedure was to tap phone and insert charger at the same time! Now it is just waiting on getting my own now TYD arrival in May which would be 12 months wait since orders opened for MY23.
Sponsored