tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
Looking for some advise on how best to repair this bumper ding.

Over the weekend someone did this hit-and-run on me. There are a few scratches and small indentations on the front bumper. I've taken it to a couple of body shops for estimates. Both shops want to remove the entire bumper for the repair and paint. Estimates range from $500-$1,000. But they are telling me that removing the bumper will also require all the sensors to be recalibrated by either Porsche or the shop's third party. I'm hearing estimates to recalibrate are another $500-$1,000. I'm also somewhat reluctant to have the bumper removed for fear that that might result in other issues (like pulling a thread on a sweater).

Another shop said they could cover the car, repair the damage and "feather in" the paint and clear coat without removing the bumper. But I'm hearing that this could result in pealing later. If I applied PPF on the bumper afterwords (which I was intending to do before this happened) this seems like it would solve the potential pealing issue.

What initially seemed like a small ding to fix now seems to be a bigger decision given all the electronics involved in the front of the car.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Porsche Taycan Front Bumper Damage IMG_0056
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Looking for some advise on how best to repair this bumper ding.

Over the weekend someone did this hit-and-run on me. There are a few scratches and small indentations on the front bumper. I've taken it to a couple of body shops for estimates. Both shops want to remove the entire bumper for the repair and paint. Estimates range from $500-$1,000. But they are telling me that removing the bumper will also require all the sensors to be recalibrated by either Porsche or the shop's third party. I'm hearing estimates to recalibrate are another $500-$1,000. I'm also somewhat reluctant to have the bumper removed for fear that that might result in other issues (like pulling a thread on a sweater).

Another shop said they could cover the car, repair the damage and "feather in" the paint and clear coat without removing the bumper. But I'm hearing that this could result in pealing later. If I applied PPF on the bumper afterwords (which I was intending to do before this happened) this seems like it would solve the potential pealing issue.

What initially seemed like a small ding to fix now seems to be a bigger decision given all the electronics involved in the front of the car.

Thanks.
Unfortunately I think you've covered the bases and may just depend on your tolerance for full or partial repair. The damage does look like it went though the paint so indeed hard to 'patch' repair accurately and why of course shops would rather repaint whole unit.

Man, this would tick me off so much! Not much help here but had a similar incident on my M4 a few years back when neighbor's tree dropped a limb that caught the edge of my hood! Ended up repainting full hood, since replaced with CF hood. Best of luck in your decision.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You just spent a bunch of money on a Taycan. Get it fixed right. Take it off the car, get it repaired. The good news is you should lose nothing on resale value, as the "paint depth" gauges do not work on the car's plastic parts. So as long as your repair shop does an excellent job with the repair and matching the color, it should be as good as new. I have no idea about calibrating the sensors, but it is what it is. Just make sure whoever does the work keeps it off the car's maintenance log (which will hit its value).

And yes, all said, it makes me a little sick. I hate stuff like this.

PPF=No brainer. But make sure you check with your installer, and he tells you how long the paint has to cure before they PPF.

You may want to keep some pictures of the damage. If anyone should be able to track down the repair work then you can substantiate that it was cosmetic and not a real collision.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
" Another shop said they could cover the car, repair the damage and "feather in" the paint and clear coat without removing the bumper. But I'm hearing that this could result in pealing later. If I applied PPF on the bumper afterwords (which I was intending to do before this happened) this seems like it would solve the potential pealing issue. "

This is your best option, espically seeing that you have white paint. White is the easiest colour to repair/match.

If the body shop knows what they are doing then it shouldn't peel.
If you respray the whole bumper you run the risk of it not matching 100%, not so apparant on white paint, but with blue's and blacks in the sun you will notice.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
so, this is a little concerning if removing the bumper causes a need for re-calibration. I have an apt. for the Radenso and ALP to be installed and this will require removing the front bumper to put the radar sensors behind this.
However, I have not heard of anyone getting this installed mentioning that the sensors need to be re-calibrated? Is this just an extra precaution, or is this mandatory for any time the front bumper is removed? Did a shop say this, or Porsche?
If it is any indication with those that have had integrated radar sensors installed, there has been no mention of anyone doing this and no mention of anyone having issues with the system that uses the sensors.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
It's a Porsche - respray the whole bumper. Use a reputable shop.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I am sorry to hear this - I have a scratch on my rear bumper and a ding in the passenger door courtesy of careless people in car parks. I accept I am probably a heretic… leave it. You will less worried about the next scratch you pick up. And if you have a “proper” accident with the front bumper it will get sorted at that point. If you are worried about resale then get it sorted before you sell it. It is very annoying but it is cosmetic and small. But good luck whatever you choose

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I had to have my front bumper on my Taycan fixed twice. Once from road debris that got kicked up by a truck on the highway, and the second time from a minor fender bender. I took it to an authorized Porsche repair shop. Yes the repair included the removal of the bumper and the recalibration of the front sensors. The second repair also involved checking the front camera. The repair was approximately $4200 but is undetectable. The blending of the Mamba Green paint was perfect.

Last week I went back to the same shop to get an estimate to fix a very minor mark on the front bumper of my wife's Boxster S. I got an estimate of $1200 vs. about $450 elsewhere. I am going to spend the extra money to do it correctly. The entire bumper will not be resprayed. However, the bumper will be removed and the entire clear coat will be stripped. The paint will be feathered in and the entire bumper will have new clear coat applied. I will put on new PPF after waiting at least 30 days. The shop said the PPF will not lift the paint if it has the appropriate time to cure. The car is 8 years old with less than 13k miles and in mint condition other than the bumper so I will fix it correctly.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I am sorry to hear this - I have a scratch on my rear bumper and a ding in the passenger door courtesy of careless people in car parks. I accept I am probably a heretic… leave it. You will less worried about the next scratch you pick up. And if you have a “proper” accident with the front bumper it will get sorted at that point. If you are worried about resale then get it sorted before you sell it. It is very annoying but it is cosmetic and small. But good luck whatever you choose
I was going to post something along these lines, but was afraid of the backlash I would probably get, lol.

I wouldn't fix it yet either. I would maybe try to touch it up a bit, but it looks very small. You will worry less about the next scratch as mentioned. Its the front bumper, so it's going to get a few rock chips, nicks and scratches, etc. Wait until you get a few more, then have them all fixed at once.

$0.02

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag

Thanks.
My power washer slid into the rear bumper of my white Macan and I sustained similar damage. I was able to use some white Porsche touch-up paint and it looks pretty damn good, as long as I don't stare at it. LOL If there is a dent, you can use a heat gun to warm it up and massage it a bit. Be careful not to blister the paint.

This all being said, my Macan has 100K miles on it. If I were in your shoes, I'd likely bite the bullet and fix it properly. Reputable body shop for sure.

I wouldn't fix it yet either. I would maybe try to touch it up a bit, but it looks very small. You will worry less about the next scratch as mentioned. Its the front bumper, so it's going to get a few rock chips, nicks and scratches, etc. Wait until you get a few more, then have them all fixed at once.
True story. After buying a 2001 BMW x5 4.4, my SA asked if I wanted him to take a ball peen hammer and place a small dent in a side panel. That way, I wouldn't be worried about parking lot dings. I declined his offer. Haha.

Blik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Used Color N Drive (Chalk M9A) touch up paint for some road debris earlier, worked like a charm and color matches really well!

Tried to touch up my last adventure, but I guess i'll be needing a repaint 😂

Porsche Taycan Front Bumper Damage IMG_3897.JPG

OP
OP
tfurbay

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
Used Color N Drive (Chalk M9A) touch up paint for some road debris earlier, worked like a charm and color matches really well!

Tried to touch up my last adventure, but I guess i'll be needing a repaint 😂

IMG_3897.JPG
Ouch! Sorry to see that.

I like those wheels. Which wheels are they?