OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you share a screenshot of both your timer and your profile as this will help to explain why it didn't work as planned?

Can you also confirm that only 1 profile and 1 timer were active at the time - if not then that's another possible explanation.

Timers and Profiles only work in conjunction with AC charging. For DC charging all Timers and Profiles are ignored.

Timers do not have a 'minimum' value but a 'target'. Profiles have a 'minimum'.

A timer (Departure Timer to give it its proper name) is intended to ensure that a charging session ends by a given time (not when it starts and ends) and can be repeated across multiple days (regardless of whether the car is connected to your EVSE or not). Additionally the timer will allow you to set a target charge to aim for by the end of the set time. Precool / heat is another option to set but hopefully that is self-explanatory.

Once the timer is set (and no other timers are active) then the car will calculate how long it will take to reach your departure time using power information from the EVSE that you are charging from and the battery's current state of charge (SOC). Whatever happens the charging session will end by the set departure time set in the timer.

In this example I have a daily timer set to charge to a target of 85% and to reach a target charge by 07:00. No preheat/cool set. This works 100% of the time on the basis that the car's starting SOC is around 15% - 20%.

1642147264317.png

Now introduce a profile into the mix. Profiles are location based but by default you are provided with a profile called 'General' which can be used generically at any location.

Within the profile you set the minimum SOC that you want your car to have as soon as it is connected to your EVSE. If you set it to 25% and your car has 26% or greater battery charge then nothing will happen at this point and no charging session will commence. If your SOC is 15% then the charging process will commence immediately until the battery SOC reaches 25% at which point the charging session will pause pending another event such as an active Timer. If no event has been programmed and the car is still connected to the EVSE (which is active) then after 30 mins the charging session will start again but will continue until 100% is reached.

The profile also has 'Optimised Charging' (for use in conjunction with a Home Energy Manager to balance power at home and combine Solar power where available) and 'Preferred Charging Times'.

Preferred Charging Times enable you to create a charging window where you can take advantage of cheap rate electricity e.g. if you have cheap power between midnight and 07:00 then enable this option to ensure the charging session waits for this window before starting. Note however that Timers override Profiles and so depending on the battery SOC it may be that the session starts earlier than programmed to ensure your Target Charge set in the Timer can be achieved.

The following profile is set for my Home address and will automatically be selected when the car is within a given radius (2 miles I think) from my home (I have other locations and so this is a useful feature if you want different Preferred Charging Times and / or a higher or lower Minimum SOC set).

So, the charging session will start immediately if my battery SOC is <= 25% regardless of the preferred charging times set and will then pause waiting on the next timer event. As my Timer is also active then the profile will remain paused until midnight 00:00 and then commence the charging process right through until 07:00 (again as determined by the Timer). The overall charging session will therefore take place between 00:00 - 07:00 and a hard stop at 07:00.

1642147982472.png

Hopefully this helps?
Thanks for the detailed reply. From what you are saying, I think I have understood the process correctly. The car was at 70% SOC on Wednesday morning when I set the following:

1. general profile with minimum of 85%
2. timer to allow departure with an SOC of 90% at 9pm on Thursday with precool/heat of 68 (yesterday)

My expectation was that the car would start charging to 85% immediately and then stop charging. It would then start again in enough time to charge the remaining 5%. I probably wouldn't set it like this ordinarily but I did so in this case to test operation.

I believe I had only general and the above timer selected. The charger is an AC charger, it only charges at about 1.5kWh. Another point of note is the timer did work fairly well. It started yesterday morning but then I did get fairly regular pings to say it would not reach the target charge. When I got to the car slightly before departure time, it was still charging and had reached about 88-89%.

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 1642175002390

Porsche Taycan General profile v timer 1642175064753

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Based on this, I would think that things should have worked the way OP expected. His general profile with 85% minimum should have caused the car to charge to 85% immediately. His timer with 90% target charge should have charged the car 5% more, starting at a time when it would have finished at his departure time. Could it be that the general profile doesn't work the same way in conjunction with a timer?
Cool, so I think i did understand things correctly based on @W1NGE post

I wonder if 85% and 90% are a bit too close and the car decided to over ride the user's dumb idea :) Ordinarily I wouldn't do this, it was just to test operation

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Based on this, I would think that things should have worked the way OP expected. His general profile with 85% minimum should have caused the car to charge to 85% immediately. His timer with 90% target charge should have charged the car 5% more, starting at a time when it would have finished at his departure time. Could it be that the general profile doesn't work the same way in conjunction with a timer?
In the absence of screenshots of profile(s) and timer(s) in play we can only guess at this but OP seems happy now and had already reached the same conclusion I think.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use My Porsche web site mostly for this stuff - easier to screen grab and manipulate than the crappy app(s).
Thanks. I d/l the Myporsche app and agree that it is much better than the Connect app, and happy that it does not have the black screen with red lettering like the Connect app.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Can you share a screenshot of both your timer and your profile as this will help to explain why it didn't work as planned?

Can you also confirm that only 1 profile and 1 timer were active at the time - if not then that's another possible explanation.

Timers and Profiles only work in conjunction with AC charging. For DC charging all Timers and Profiles are ignored.

Timers do not have a 'minimum' value but a 'target'. Profiles have a 'minimum'.

A timer (Departure Timer to give it its proper name) is intended to ensure that a charging session ends by a given time (not when it starts and ends) and can be repeated across multiple days (regardless of whether the car is connected to your EVSE or not). Additionally the timer will allow you to set a target charge to aim for by the end of the set time. Precool / heat is another option to set but hopefully that is self-explanatory.

Once the timer is set (and no other timers are active) then the car will calculate how long it will take to reach your departure time using power information from the EVSE that you are charging from and the battery's current state of charge (SOC). Whatever happens the charging session will end by the set departure time set in the timer.

In this example I have a daily timer set to charge to a target of 85% and to reach a target charge by 07:00. No preheat/cool set. This works 100% of the time on the basis that the car's starting SOC is around 15% - 20%.

1642147264317.png

Now introduce a profile into the mix. Profiles are location based but by default you are provided with a profile called 'General' which can be used generically at any location.

Within the profile you set the minimum SOC that you want your car to have as soon as it is connected to your EVSE. If you set it to 25% and your car has 26% or greater battery charge then nothing will happen at this point and no charging session will commence. If your SOC is 15% then the charging process will commence immediately until the battery SOC reaches 25% at which point the charging session will pause pending another event such as an active Timer. If no event has been programmed and the car is still connected to the EVSE (which is active) then after 30 mins the charging session will start again but will continue until 100% is reached.

The profile also has 'Optimised Charging' (for use in conjunction with a Home Energy Manager to balance power at home and combine Solar power where available) and 'Preferred Charging Times'.

Preferred Charging Times enable you to create a charging window where you can take advantage of cheap rate electricity e.g. if you have cheap power between midnight and 07:00 then enable this option to ensure the charging session waits for this window before starting. Note however that Timers override Profiles and so depending on the battery SOC it may be that the session starts earlier than programmed to ensure your Target Charge set in the Timer can be achieved.

The following profile is set for my Home address and will automatically be selected when the car is within a given radius (2 miles I think) from my home (I have other locations and so this is a useful feature if you want different Preferred Charging Times and / or a higher or lower Minimum SOC set).

So, the charging session will start immediately if my battery SOC is <= 25% regardless of the preferred charging times set and will then pause waiting on the next timer event. As my Timer is also active then the profile will remain paused until midnight 00:00 and then commence the charging process right through until 07:00 (again as determined by the Timer). The overall charging session will therefore take place between 00:00 - 07:00 and a hard stop at 07:00.

1642147982472.png

Hopefully this helps?

This is a fantastic and thorough explanation of all these (somewhat) confusing features for a new owner. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this out!

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
We’ll, just to add my dash of salt and Update that thread, everything was working as expected with profiles (general or local) limiting SoC at 85%. Timers were also working accordingly until recently.

Ever since I use the new MyPorsche app, whenever I add a timer to my profile, the SoC limit is over ridden by the car and it will always charge up to 100%, irrespective of the asked 85% SoC. With no timers, the SoC is limited by the profiles (being local or general) And is respected. If I disable the profiles and only set a timer, it will also disobey the limited SoC and rank up to 100%….

Any Clues??

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
We’ll, just to add my dash of salt and Update that thread, everything was working as expected with profiles (general or local) limiting SoC at 85%. Timers were also working accordingly until recently.

Ever since I use the new MyPorsche app, whenever I add a timer to my profile, the SoC limit is over ridden by the car and it will always charge up to 100%, irrespective of the asked 85% SoC. With no timers, the SoC is limited by the profiles (being local or general) And is respected. If I disable the profiles and only set a timer, it will also disobey the limited SoC and rank up to 100%….

Any Clues??
My guess / theory would be that it is not the app as it doesn't control anything and merely provides a means to set / modify timers and profiles. The car is always in control.

Suggest deleting any relevant Porsche App and then all timers and profiles remaining in the PCM.

Reinstall My Porsche App.

Start to establish your profile(s) and timer(s) again checking that your PCM is in sync with the app.

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So far so good, uninstalled MyPorsche app, profiles and timers and brought them back. Everything is syncing live from the app, from the web site and the car..... I have only activated a timer for 2morrow morning (SoC 85%). It stands now, paused at 79% as I arrived , and it is my understanding that it will complete to 85% just in time for departure.

Never saw my car pausing a charge even though I did not setup any preferential charging period (Electricity is so cheap up here....)

ill see what the results will be when its gonna be time to go back to work 2morrow morning.
Thanx for the tip.

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Or I should stay corrected as it stopped at 90%, compensating for the cold outside temp (-8’C) ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Would you mind listing all active timers and profiles so that I can review?

What EVSE are you using - Porsche or 3rd party?

MyA

First Name
Marc-Yvon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
General and location based profiles are both disabled for now.
Only 1 timer as shown above.

This morning was much milder (+5’C) and the charging stopped at 87-88%. therefore I am concluding that the timer is behaving in such a way that activation of the cabin/battery preconditioning at lower temps may results in a slight overshoot of the planned SoC as the charging process is also activated during that process….

I bet that if I disable the preconditioning, the planned SoC will be right on the dot…..
I will now try with a profile activated.

WindsurfUS1111

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD; 2023 Rivian R1S; 2018 Volvo XC90
Country flag
I've given up on the timer. It has never worked for me.

My PROFILE - GENERAL is set for 25% charge and turned ON.
My TIMER is set for an 8AM departure, seven days a week to 85% and turned ON.

If my SOC is below 25%, it will charge to 25%.
After that nothing happens - I get a notification "UNABLE TO REACH SET TARGET CHARGE" - WHY???
It also will say CHARGING ON HOLD. It doesn't move beyond a 25% charge.

I have to turn off timer to charge the car. I dropped off the car at the Porsche dealer. They had it for five days and couldn't figure out why this was happening. They said "don't use the timer' - IT DOESN'T WORK.

No further support from Porsche, other than a remark "I must have a lemon".

I am using a Chargepoint charger at home, and charges perfectly well without timers on

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I've given up on the timer. It has never worked for me.

My PROFILE - GENERAL is set for 25% charge and turned ON.
My TIMER is set for an 8AM departure, seven days a week to 85% and turned ON.

If my SOC is below 25%, it will charge to 25%.
After that nothing happens - I get a notification "UNABLE TO REACH SET TARGET CHARGE" - WHY???
It also will say CHARGING ON HOLD. It doesn't move beyond a 25% charge.

I have to turn off timer to charge the car. I dropped off the car at the Porsche dealer. They had it for five days and couldn't figure out why this was happening. They said "don't use the timer' - IT DOESN'T WORK.

No further support from Porsche, other than a remark "I must have a lemon".

I am using a Chargepoint charger at home, and charges perfectly well without timers on
My profile and timer are nearly identical to yours and work perfectly. “Charging on hold” is the right message when the timer has not initiated charging yet. The message and the illustration should be blue.

it sounds like your car doesn’t think it can finish charging by the desired time for some reason. What is the charging rate you get when it actually does charge?

WindsurfUS1111

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD; 2023 Rivian R1S; 2018 Volvo XC90
Country flag
But with the timer on it won’t initiate charging above the minimum set point - 25%
Yes, the charging on hold is blue.

Charging rate is usually .05M/Min
Plenty of time between 12-8 (8 hours) to get to 85% from 25%
Do you think it won’t charge at all from 25 to 85 if it calculates insufficient time?
At half mile a minute it should take 360 minutes or 6 hours to get from 25% to 85.

Appreciate any guidance
Sponsored