Going From 22 to 23. Would You Do It?

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
If it gave the option of becoming a full blackout - it might be more attractive as an option - but going from tinted-clear to translucent does not seem such a major change to me - just 2 different qualities of light transmission - not and on-off - what's the point?
The diffused setting cuts out glare from the sun, while still keeping the cabin nice and light. That's the point. Useful for backseat passengers / kids, especially in the summer months.
Sponsored

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have the panoramic roof and I wouldn't take it again given the choice: I just don't see it from the driver's seat. Now if this was a proper opening sunroof I would take it in a heartbeat (hair in the air etc.), but to me there's no value in a panoramic roof, or a VLC roof either, especially not for the $$$ Porsche is asking for

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
The diffused setting cuts out glare from the sun, while still keeping the cabin nice and light. That's the point. Useful for backseat passengers / kids, especially in the summer months.
Sorry, but kids in the back don't want a glass roof, however clever. They want it dark so they can watch their phones.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
The VLC roof is great ….this theory it only benefits the passengers is rubbish ….it brightens up the whole interior with natural light ..yes it’s expensive but so is the whole car 😉
A Pano Roof lightens up the whole interior for significantly less money. I wouldn't consider a Taycan without a roof to let in the light.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I was specifically interested in the VLC roof for 2023 since standard roof is not blocking direct sun from driver's head (unless tinted in addition) when at certain times of day but when I experienced it in person, it was a NO.

The customer who ordered it on the GTS had it broken (one panel would not turn off) so on a long months' worth wait to replace it as it cannot be fixed using programming or resetting. If that does not scare you off from it, then go ahead and take a chance that it may be gutted out if panels stop working.

Then I tested it specifically looking at the sun and it barely blocking so I am not convinced that rear passengers would be happy with the blocking since the sun is still going through it.

I removed it from my build as I got the allocation a few days ago and SA told me that it is just not a good option at this time for high risk of issues and limited function.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
My friend has it on his iX - nice gimmick but ultimately pointless. Maybe if you live in LA, but then as has been said, surely you would want a black out in case of extreme sun but I can say that even when the UK was 40 degrees I never felt hot under the glass roof (with the A/C on!).

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I've had the VLC for about a month now and I'm still loving it. The kids and I were just admiring the moon set through it this morning. Yes, it is more enjoyable for the people in the back, my kids love it, definitely provides the 'wow factor.'
If money isn't an issue (which you have stated as such), go for it!
If everyone applied practicality to all of their decisions then Porsche would go out of business.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had the VLC for about a month now and I'm still loving it. The kids and I were just admiring the moon set through it this morning. Yes, it is more enjoyable for the people in the back, my kids love it, definitely provides the 'wow factor.'
If money isn't an issue (which you have stated as such), go for it!
If everyone applied practicality to all of their decisions then Porsche would go out of business.
Yeah but it’s one thing when deciding whether or not to get it when speccing a new build, but a completely impractical to switch to a new vehicle just for that unless you have money to burn.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
One of my best ideas was getting whole car PPF... not only does it alleviate a ton of anxiety around paint swirls and rock chips and the like, but my significant payment (sunk cost) in that respect keeps me from event thinking about buying a new Taycan.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
No.
The '22 is fine, '23 no different.

Wait at least for the facelift in fall '23, or better for the all new Taycan

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Currenly in a position to move from a 22 Taycan CT to a 23 CT. Spec the car how I want. Main thing driving the idea of the swap is to get the variable light roof.

Lets take value loss from the sale of the current vehicle out of the equation for the moment.

Would you make the swap from your current Taycan to a 23 MY in order to get the variable light roof? Or do you not feel that added bit of tech is enough to get you to switch?
Only if I wanted to pay more for (essentially) the same car.

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No absolutely dont change just for VLC
Been said before
What if you get a lemon?
What difference will you notice? None apart from the gimmick of VLC
The only financial hit I would be prepared to take is for the next gen, not the facelift.
Sponsored