Heater Recall Leading to Battery Issues?

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
My ‘22 Taycan GTS is scheduled to get the recall addressed tomorrow. I have seen some posts about how replacing the heater has lead to massive battery issues and subsequently lots of time in the shop. My car has had zero issues with its heater and zero issues with the battery. Do you guys think I still should get the recalled addressed and replace the heater even though it has been running perfect? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have seen some posts about how replacing the heater has lead to massive battery issues and subsequently lots of time in the shop.
Links to particular posts? Would be nice to dig in a little further into their credibility, i.e. did battery recall cause this, or incorrectly performed service, or simply a coincidence (which do happen, google how many artists die while performing on stage each year - and I don't mean accidents due to dangerous acts, but rather something like a performer singing and dying on stage).

Full disclosure, my car is undergoing the heater recall as we speak. I figured better to proactively replace it than be stuck on some road trip. However, I can see why someone would worry about any part replacement possibly messing something up - there is definitely always a chance of that. If my car's main purpose was short pleasure driving, or car shows, or garage décor, or if I lived is sunny hot weather, perhaps proactive heater replacement would not be on my priority list.

OP
OP
DirtyPop

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Links to particular posts? Would be nice to dig in a little further into their credibility, i.e. did battery recall cause this, or incorrectly performed service, or simply a coincidence (which do happen, google how many artists die while performing on stage each year - and I don't mean accidents due to dangerous acts, but rather something like a performer singing and dying on stage).

Full disclosure, my car is undergoing the heater recall as we speak. I figured better to proactively replace it than be stuck on some road trip. However, I can see why someone would worry about any part replacement possibly messing something up - there is definitely always a chance of that. If my car's main purpose was short pleasure driving, or car shows, or garage décor, or if I lived is sunny hot weather, perhaps proactive heater replacement would not be on my priority list.
I agree. I’m in Northern California and it doesn’t really get cold here.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My ‘22 Taycan GTS is scheduled to get the recall addressed tomorrow. I have seen some posts about how replacing the heater has lead to massive battery issues and subsequently lots of time in the shop. My car has had zero issues with its heater and zero issues with the battery. Do you guys think I still should get the recalled addressed and replace the heater even though it has been running perfect? Thanks in advance.
I had my HV Heater replace under recall and the battery is fine.

In some moments I tell myself that a failed battery might be a good thing since mine is an original from 2021. I would love to get a battery upgrade on Porsche (just not the Red Circle of Death during a long drive 😀).

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I deferred getting the HV heater replacement since mine has been working fine. If I do replace it proactively, I'll likely do it in the fall so that if any issues come up with the new unit they could be addressed immediately, rather than waiting 6 months for it to get cold enough to realize there is a problem.

OP
OP
DirtyPop

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I deferred getting the HV heater replacement since mine has been working fine. If I do replace it proactively, I'll likely do it in the fall so that if any issues come up with the new unit they could be addressed immediately, rather than waiting 6 months for it to get cold enough to realize there is a problem.
Great point. I think I will wait as well.

logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-tron GT, BMW M4
Country flag
I would go as soon as possible because you don't always know what's lurking beneath the surface. Either something is going wrong already without any warnings(!), or HW/SW improvements have been made that are silently being deployed.

With a two year service interval, they don't see you that often, yet, software and fixes are constantly deployed. And just from experience, the first dealer visit was due to 2 major SW recalls... whilst there, they noticed that a waterpump had failed and also applied 3 or 4 other campaigns. There's no reason for me to think one of those issues were harmful for the HV battery, but I can't exclude them either. I would go and let them fix whatever they already know is needed.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
I had no heater faults, took my car in for the recall 8 weeks ago, no problems with heater or battery so far, before or since.
I live in Orange County, CA and had the heater recall done a few months ago just to make sure it was taken care of but I haven't used the heater since we have no plans to take it on a very long drive into anywhere cold which is at least 7-8 hours away requiring charging 3 or 4 times each way.
So far no issues on my heater or my battery before or after the heater recall work.

freeforall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
I would go as soon as possible because you don't always know what's lurking beneath the surface. Either something is going wrong already without any warnings(!), or HW/SW improvements have been made that are silently being deployed..
My dealer told me that Porsche is doing proactive recall campaigns to avoid having a large number of heaters failing at the same time during winter which will cause delays in dealers and in the part provisioning. That’s the only reason, there is no issue until it completely fails.
He also told me that Porsche extended the warranty for the heater part specifically so if an owner doesn’t get a recall for the heater but it fails after the 2 years warranty, the replacement will be free of charge. I don’t remember though how long the extension was (I believe he mentioned 4 or 5 years coverage). I didn’t give it a particular attention as I took 5 years warranty for my car.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I had the heater recall done on my 2020 4S several weeks ago and haven't had any issues so far. Even if you live in a mild climate the heater is still used when navigating to a charger to preheat the battery for fastest charging speeds.

PCASSOO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
I had my 2020 4S since July of 2022. Never really used the heater until I was in Auburn on a really cold night and the car wouldn't warm up. The the front window started fogging up and I couldn't see squat.
No issues with the battery at all. I recommend to get it done. It took forever to clear the windshield and a very cold ride home with the windows down so I could see.
Thank God for the seat warmer bcz that stopped me from freezing to death. Lol

Ezikiel37

First Name
Ezikiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got the email, haven’t gone since my heater works. If it aint broke dont fix it. But i did save the email for a rainy/cold day ha
Sponsored