Recall update refused!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
The update has been completed. The software update was version BE 0014 FOR DME and 0012 FOR POWER E. There was also a software update to reprogram the rear spoiler control unit. After the update I spoke to the shop foreman and he said the dealership is doing the update on all cars that come in whether the customer asks for it or not. They feel it Is a safety issue as two customers lost power on their cars on the freeway. He also said he does not understand why Porsche does not do the recall campaign immediately.
Which dealership was this?
Sponsored

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
BTW, the exact text in the Safety Recall Report is Dealers and Owners will be notified on or before August 27, 2021.
There must be a way to convince Porsche to release the update ASAP :rock:

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
BTW, the exact text in the Safety Recall Report is Dealers and Owners will be notified on or before August 27, 2021.
There must be a way to convince Porsche to release the update ASAP :rock:
They did go on the news about the issue so...kind of poor PR to message the public first, dealers/owners second.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Called my preferred local dealer and gave them my VIN, service advisors response was "That Taycan has no open recalls, we can't help you."

I'm not even going to bother calling others. Haven't had an issue yet, hopefully that doesn't change.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
It's likely because Tesla developed their cars with a software focus from the beginning, whereas all the other traditional car manufacturers like Porsche are trying to add on OTA update functionality to what they already know how to do, which is build cars.

In Tesla's case this in turn influenced the kind of engineers they hired (ie software engineers).

You kind of get the feeling that when Porsche developed the Taycan, they probably said let's make a Porsche that runs on battery but drives like a Porsche. Oh and let's also make it have some of the tech features that EVs are known for nowadays.
I know everyone, including myself, is eager to get the new update (I have not had the loss of power issue but only have 1000 miles on my 4S to date). I have had a Tesla Model 3 Performance for about 15 months. While there are frequent OTA updates (many of which have minimal information on what has been updated other than "minor improvements") I am not aware of any mechanism to get the updates sooner than they appear on the car's screen (there is a box you can check for early updates, but I have not idea if that has any impact). So, even Tesla updates and timing are a bit of a mystery. Granted, I am not aware of an important safety update that has been issued for my car, but under the Tesla system as I understand it we have to wait until the mothership sends the update.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Called my preferred local dealer and gave them my VIN, service advisors response was "That Taycan has no open recalls, we can't help you."

I'm not even going to bother calling others. Haven't had an issue yet, hopefully that doesn't change.
Same here, but in fairness to the dealer, when I look up my VIN number (2020 4S produced in September 2020) on the NHTSB website https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/PORSCHE/TAYCAN%25204S/4%2520DR/AWD , there is not indication of a recall either.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
How does Elon manage to skirt the red tape to push Tesla updates over home wifi?
That experience is a LOT better.

I gotta be honest, part of the reason I went EV was to reduce the times I have to visit Porsche service.
red tape?
tesla is just far more along with their tech. I have received many updates OTA, from minor tweaks to major features being added to major map updates. any limitations on the Porsche system is just their not having their systems up to speed.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
red tape?
tesla is just far more along with their tech. I have received many updates OTA, from minor tweaks to major features being added to major map updates. any limitations on the Porsche system is just their not having their systems up to speed.
Have any of those updates been major updates to the drive electronics/motors though?

I'm thinking big stuff like this is always going to be tightly controlled.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Have any of those updates been major updates to the drive electronics/motors though?

Well Tesla has done updates to magically unlock faster 0-60 times as well as adjust regenerative braking performance, so I think they do have the capability if necessary. They've also pushed out updates to increase range which may or may not be related to motor performance.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

I believe that would be yes. in 9 years of owning various teslas almost every update was over the air. the only updates that weren't were when the car was being serviced and they made certain that the car was on the latest software.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I believe that would be yes. in 9 years of owning various teslas almost every update was over the air. the only updates that weren't were when the car was being serviced and they made certain that the car was on the latest software.
What a glorious life! If only we had that.

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@SpicewoodT cool, keep me updated - Austin is worth the drive for me.
I received a call back from James, the Service Manager for Austin Porsche, who stated the same thing many others have been reporting in this thread - that the recall wasn't yet visible in the system and therefore there was nothing he could do at this time.

However, he did offer to monitor the system for the recall and promised to give me a call as soon as it appears. He also encouraged me to check in periodically so that if it was available before August he'd get me in right away. Not the preferred outcome, but I do appreciate the gesture.

Nik1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My dealer refuses to install the recall until it shows on Porsche's system (which as of this morning it still does not.)

I brought printouts of the NHTSA docs showing my VIN in window - doesn't matter, they "can't" do it until it shows on Porsche's side.

Just a heads up if you're eager to get this done as I am.
I got the same answer from
the Porsche service center in Dubai.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is the latest TSB about the correct version of DME and PE modules
This one is dated June 28th and there was another earlier revision in June and May. Software versions appear the same in all revisions.
This is the update you receive if you have experienced the power loss issue..
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198981-0001.pdf

And this is the stop sale document
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198986-0001.pdf
What I find interesting in this doc is this sentence "Please note that initial information is available to remedy over 90% of vehicles affected by StopDelivery AMB5. "

I wonder why 90% and not 100%?
Sponsored