Recall update refused!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I tried another dealership this morning...the service advisor was happy to check my VIN for the update, but warned me it would require keeping the car "2-3 days" to apply.

2-3 DAYS. For a 90 minute software update.

Absolutely unacceptable. I told him to forget it!

I'm so over this stupid bullshit at this point, I'm just going to take my chances with the shutdown.
That sounds about right if the dealer has only one technician trained to work on Taycans and there is a queue of new and demo cars that need to be updated (so they can be sold) plus client cars that need repairs or updates.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'm sure they made the decision at the top level that the probability*severity << cost for proctivism now. Just like any business.
Everybody has to make decisions about acceptable risk.

For example:

I'm just going to take my chances with the shutdown.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I asked my SA and he checked and informed me my Taycan was not involved in the recall, though it was produced April 2021. I have a feeling that it will show up in their database at some point, but it's not there yet.

The car has run perfectly thus far so I'll just wait and see

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
While that’s true, it’s a bit of a matter of perspective:

Porsche: Estimated financial risk: 50M USD (made up number). Chump change, let’s take our time.

Average forum denizen: OK, I guess I won’t drive my 100K+ USD brick in my garage that I’m making payments on because I have no other legal recourse until Porsche gets around to it.

I get that there’s a lot of procedural red tape around a car manufacturer issuing a recall that the regulators are happy with. And/or in many cases there could be logistics & training issues that need to be in place before pressing ‘Go’. But in this case, none of that applies. If there’s a 2-3+ day wait now before the official announcement , what’s going to happen after 27 Aug?

Dealers ought to be pressuring Porsche to let them take cars now to head off some of the upcoming demand.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
How does Elon manage to skirt the red tape to push Tesla updates over home wifi?
That experience is a LOT better.

I gotta be honest, part of the reason I went EV was to reduce the times I have to visit Porsche service.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Update-my car is at the dealer now and they are doing the update. The shop foreman checked the software version the car currently has and said the car needs the update. No issues.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Looks like I should road trip to LA. :)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update-my car is at the dealer now and they are doing the update. The shop foreman checked the software version the car currently has and said the car needs the update. No issues.
What software update? Did you have WMA5/6 installed before? If not then that is what you get, not the recall update. (but the latest WMA5/6 includes the latest software so you won't need the recall )

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
While that’s true, it’s a bit of a matter of perspective:

Porsche: Estimated financial risk: 50M USD (made up number). Chump change, let’s take our time.

Average forum denizen: OK, I guess I won’t drive my 100K+ USD brick in my garage that I’m making payments on because I have no other legal recourse until Porsche gets around to it.
Everyone driving their cars right now aware of this issue is making a calculation that the risk is acceptable. Myself included.

If there was a 90% chance that the car would lock you inside and catch fire when you start it, I guarantee you the number of people willing to drive it would be less.

The fact is this current issue has a low probability and a moderate severity.

And that’s why nearly every one is still driving their cars.

I personally have a hard time faulting Porsche if they make a similar calculation.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
How does Elon manage to skirt the red tape to push Tesla updates over home wifi?

I gotta be honest, part of the reason I went EV was to reduce the times I have to visit Porsche service.
Now with greater stake in Rimac, maybe their team can/will be applied for UI in Porsche products. Service is still VERY minimal with an EV. Taycan maintenance manual showing first major service in 6 years. That's damn good compared to any ICE. (besides brake fluid inspection)

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

It's likely because Tesla developed their cars with a software focus from the beginning, whereas all the other traditional car manufacturers like Porsche are trying to add on OTA update functionality to what they already know how to do, which is build cars.

In Tesla's case this in turn influenced the kind of engineers they hired (ie software engineers).

You kind of get the feeling that when Porsche developed the Taycan, they probably said let's make a Porsche that runs on battery but drives like a Porsche. Oh and let's also make it have some of the tech features that EVs are known for nowadays.

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was told this morning by the Service department at Porsche Austin that they don't see the recall in their system either. I asked them if they could see either the NHTSA recall number 21V-486 or the Porsche recall AMB5 in their system yet and the response was no.

I've sent an email with links to both of the above to my service advisor:

The Porsche AMB5 recall notices states that letters should start going out to owners around 27 August 2021 and I've asked if it would be possible to schedule an update sooner - once they can see the recall in their systems.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you want the recall update before August 27th, you'll need to drive your car till the issue appears. The required error code will be in the cars log, so you can :punch::devil: :swear: and you'll get the update sooner.

If it appears after a few miles, you're "lucky".
If it still hasn't appeared after 10,000 miles, at least you got a heck of a drive!

Last edited:

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
The update has been completed. The software update was version BE 0014 FOR DME and 0012 FOR POWER E. There was also a software update to reprogram the rear spoiler control unit. After the update I spoke to the shop foreman and he said the dealership is doing the update on all cars that come in whether the customer asks for it or not. They feel it Is a safety issue as two customers lost power on their cars on the freeway. He also said he does not understand why Porsche does not do the recall campaign immediately.
Sponsored