Home charging advice (yes another thread, I know!)

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan I thought I’d be able to hire an electrician to install an outlet. Super easy, non-issue, one phone call and I’d be done. I was wrong, very wrong and need some advice please.
Details:
New-ish home
Solar
Outlet can be installed right next to the panel inside my garage

I contacted an electrician and he said to wait until I get the charger so he can read the specs and then install a nema 14-50. However I’ve seen posts here that I might need other equipment. If someone has free time and is willing to provide a simple explanation of wtf I actually need to do I’d greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
My electrician didn't need any specs. I got my garage wired months before the car arrived. The only things that the electricians was unsure about were where I wanted the outlet placed and which way I wanted the plug facing. Placement on the wall didn't actually matter that much. The direction of the plug was kind of important. He actually came back and switched the direction of it. Happy to post a picture of it.

That is just my two cents. Others may have more thoughts.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan I thought I’d be able to hire an electrician to install an outlet. Super easy, non-issue, one phone call and I’d be done. I was wrong, very wrong and need some advice please.
Details:
New-ish home
Solar

I contacted an electrician and he said to wait until I get the charger so he can read the specs and then install a nema 14-50. However I’ve seen posts here that I might need other equipment. If someone has free time and is willing to provide a simple explanation of wtf I actually need to do I’d greatly appreciate it.
No need to have the charger (if you didn't add the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) to your order then you'll get the standard Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+).

The manual can be downloaded so your Sparky can review that but the most you can get from the PMC+ is 9.6kW (rated 11kW) and present that with an appropriate outlet (socket).

Manual can be found here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2078558/Porsche-Mobile-Charger-Plus.html?page=1

You also have the option to install a Home Energy Manager (HEM) - particularly if you have Solar - so review the section on that to see what you need.

Porsche Taycan Home charging advice (yes another thread, I know!) 1638550628241

Porsche Taycan Home charging advice (yes another thread, I know!) 1638550532857

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Details:
New-ish home
Solar

Once I took delivery I had my electrician
Details:
New-ish home
Solar

Once I took delivery of my car, I had an electrician wire the nema plug. Biggest issue will be if your electric panel has space for the new breakers, if not you may need to replace the panel (breaker panel) to add space. You also need to have enough juice coming Into the house, but if not, you may need to schedule your charging to avoid an electric clothes dryer or other high use appliance not to operate simultaneously. Sounds like a lot, it is not at all, just sounds that way. A good electrician will get it done in short order. I'm also assuming you have the mobil charger connect, charger with a touch screen, if so have the electrician run the nema plug to where you want the charger and have them mount the charger holder to the wall for you (a couple of screws).

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
If you are planning to also use the Porsche wallbox to mount the PMCC, do not forget to ask your electrician to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet upside down (see picture below to explain why).

Porsche Taycan Home charging advice (yes another thread, I know!) ChargerPlugOrientation

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Details:
New-ish home
Solar

don't tell them you're installing an EV Charger -just have them install a NEMA 14-50 Plug and you're good to go - have the plug install near the garage door so you can place the charger so that it will reach both the inside of the garage and driveway…

it's really not that hard - I'd find another electrician - teh "specs" are trivial - 50 amp break @ 240 volts - terminated by a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
a good electrician will be able to install the 14-50 based on the instruction manual specs. ours did 6 months before we got the car and no issues - 50amp breaker and the instructions that outline the load were mainly to understand overall load the panel will experience (extreme case)

OP
OP
Nmoranda

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
don't tell them you're installing an EV Charger
Thank you! This is where it all went wrong. I spoke with a few electricians and each one started asking tons of questions once I mentioned EV.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is nothing complicated here. All you need is a Nema 14-50 circuit installed from your service panel in the garage.

As you have a service panel in the garage you can run a line from that to the Nema 14-50. Installing the Nema 14-50 next to the service panel may not be the best idea depending on how and where you park the car. If you park the car in the garage nose first then put the plug on the wall near the front of the car. If you park tail first put the plug near the garage door. If not you will have a cable from the charger snaking across the garage floor.

Nothing wrong with waiting until you get the car and the charger and then have the electrician put the plug in the right place.

Just remember the Taycan charge ports are on the front sides of the car and not the back.

Where this goes wrong is if your service panel isn't large enough or have the empty spaces for the circuit. Fixed by putting in a bigger service panel but costs more.

Last edited:

Tandrup

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Taycan, ‘18 Panamera 4, ‘17 Range Rover
Country flag
Thank you! This is where it all went wrong. I spoke with a few electricians and each one started asking tons of questions once I mentioned EV.
Completely agree. I have done this on a couple of houses and just ask for a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp breaker.

I don’t tell them whether I’m going to hook that up to an on-demand water heater, an induction cooktop or an EVSE :)
Sponsored