MattW77

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yes, absolutely, iPhone 12 felt, in the words of Alan Partridge ‘ hotter than the sun’
I’ve stopped using mine and just plug in a usb cable in and charge it from that!

my car is going in for a couple of recall bits in the next week and that’s one of the things I’m going to raise with them.

including..
1. Randomly I can’t link my phone to my car
2. I’ve lost the charging status from the Porsche app
3. The car a couple of times hasn’t started due to a ‘fault’
4. The 50+ kw DC chargers now won’t work on my car.

apart from that it’s a great car!! 👍👍
Sponsored

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Has anyone figured out the trick to proper alignment for an iPhone 12 Pro? I can get it charging but it gets furiously hot pretty quickly and eventually just stops charging while it tries to cool down. It’s borderline a safety issue.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Has anyone figured out the trick to proper alignment for an iPhone 12 Pro? I can get it charging but it gets furiously hot pretty quickly and eventually just stops charging while it tries to cool down. It’s borderline a safety issue.
For me it was: a] turn off wireless charing in PCM. b] Use Porsche branded USB cable.

Advantage is that when using CarPlay – it uses a much higher codec than wireless Carplay.

Edit: Which is another way of saying – I gave up on it!

Last edited:

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
For me it was: a] turn off wireless charing in PCM. b] Use Porsche branded USB cable.

Advantage is that when using CarPlay – it uses a much higher codec than wireless Carplay.
I agree with this solution. I also have a 2021 Audi Q7 and it overheats my iphone even quicker than my Taycan. Turning off the charging via the PCM will let you use the boost antenna without charging if you need it.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Someone once explained to me that for wireless charging to be most efficient the alignment has to be perfect. This is why Apple uses magnets in their accessories.

The byproduct of a poor alignment? Heat.

That is why I also use a USB C cable and only use the wireless charger in case wife, child, etc. are in dire straits and have no battery for a quick top up to they are not disconnected with the world :)

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have only used it once. It certainly generated a disproportionate amount of heat compared to the small amount of charge it put in. Presumably relates to poor alignment of the charger relative to the phone. Pity as it’s a nice idea

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag

Edit: Which is another way of saying – I gave up on it!
What do you mean/what is the significance of using a higher codec? Sorry, I am not a computer tech!

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I charge my phone on a Qi charger at home on a daily basis and heat is never an issue. I've test drove a BMW i4 recently and had no issues with the wireless charger in that one either.

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just gave it a go with my Pixel 6 and OnePlus 8 Pro. They charged just fine without overheating so it's probably some sort of issue specific to iPhones.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
My iPhone SE 2d Edition will usually overheat after a while while charging on the pouch if if I’m using CarPlay & Google Maps navigation.

HilaryDoherty

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 2020
Country flag

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I discovered that if I place my 12 pro with the camera facing down towards the back seats the phone no longer overheats. It charges extremely slow but at least it works

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I discovered that if I place my 12 pro with the camera facing down towards the back seats the phone no longer overheats. It charges extremely slow but at least it works
Not worth it. Use a cable from rear seat ports - it will charge insanely quickly.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Happens to our iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini, and is not limited to the Taycan. Has also been an issue on the new Defender 110, and Polestar 2. Have had the overheating occur with and without phone cases. Generally works for very short sessions. Heat is a product of charging in general and seems much worse with wireless charging.

I am under the impression that wireless charging is just not very good overall so we tend to just a cable and avoid the wireless charging.
Sponsored