Wireless iPhone Charging - phone overheats in glove box!

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
+1 for the information. Good idea, I never thought of using the rear ports. It would help with charging / heat / etc., I will give it a try today.

I should have noted that in my IR thermometer post above that it's Summer here in Canada and we're getting low +30 C degrees every day, which is normal, but then the phone is already at an ambient temp above +22 C, so the phone is already warm.

Still, I charged my iPhone 12 many times in my old 2016 MB suv, and never had heat like this with the Porsche.

I am totally not qualified to comment on this, but I have a suspicion the Porsche Connect App, along with all the wireless communication + processing drain on the phone are combining to cause this heat issue. It seems like the processor in my iPhone 12 is working extra hard for some reason. Shutting down all unnecessary apps seems to help a small amount.
I am finding my iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6 gets hot even when not charging. It didn’t do this before the update to 14.6.

I have also plugged in my phone to the ports in the console and it didn’t interrupt Apple CarPlay. Seamless transition to wired.
Sponsored

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I
I am finding my iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6 gets hot even when not charging. It didn’t do this before the update to 14.6.

I have also plugged in my phone to the ports in the console and it didn’t interrupt Apple CarPlay. Seamless transition to wired.
I thought I was getting wireless charging and asked the dealership in Norwich about it when it went for the 2 day update. They politely informed me that it wasn’t available in the UK.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Wireless charging is largely useless for me anyways. Only time I use it is on my nightstand while asleep. In the car I’ll plug it in

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
This is definitely a Qi alignment issue (which is obviously aggravated by actual usage, since the Qi issue gets it close to its thermal limits).

Where have you found your "sweet spot" to be? Camera forward or back? Centered? Pushed to one side or the other?

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Same issue here and posted about it ~1 week ago. After the first try no more wireless charging for my iphone 12 - overheated in a few minutes. I use a cable plugged into the rear seat power and HOLY CRAP it charges fast. (6% > 80% in ~10-15 minutes)

Another thing is that by utilizing the rear power ports I don't think plugging the phone in will interrupt wireless carplay or bluetooth.
Hi, I've turned off the wireless charging in the PCM so I can still use the antenna feature without frying my iPhone. If I connect to the usb in the console, it doesn't seem to interfere with the wireless car play. I disconnect it and it keeps working without a glitch. I have an iPhone SE and it works in my 2021 Audi Q7 without overheating on long drives, but actually overheats and stops working in the Taycan.

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
Did anyone notice a SoC drain while the phone is on the wireless charger? I have a iPhone 13 pro - MY22 .My usual power consumption is 20Kwh/100KM, while using the wireless charger it was 26Kwh/100km - this is highway driving conditions at 120km/h

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don't think it helps that the charger is located in an enclosed space as far as heat is concerned.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I don't think it helps that the charger is located in an enclosed space as far as heat is concerned.
Not at all. As Ive stated before the wireless charging sucks. Phone in cupholder and charge from rear seat. It's perfect and FAST.

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
I cannot use the wireless charging in the glove box as my iPhone12 Pro seems to cook to the point of turning off. Anyone else have this issue?
Same issue on brand new 2022 Taycan GTS. Thought it might be my Otterbox Magsafe case forcing it to draw to much but same without the case. In about 20 minutes my iPhone 12 overheated. Thinking of running a USB-C cable from the rear through the center to a Apple Magsafe Charger under the lower display. Porsche needs to correct this but I'm sure they will take their time.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
If it's not aligned correctly it will cause it to overheat. Same with having a case on it. If you've ever plugged a charger Into a loose socket you'll know what I mean (this can cause melting and lead to a fire -- if you have a socket like this get it fixed asap).

I've ran CarPlay wirelessly while charging for hours on end with no overheating. 12 pro max

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1 for the information. Good idea, I never thought of using the rear ports. It would help with charging / heat / etc., I will give it a try today.

I should have noted that in my IR thermometer post above that it's Summer here in Canada and we're getting low +30 C degrees every day, which is normal, but then the phone is already at an ambient temp above +22 C, so the phone is already warm.

Still, I charged my iPhone 12 many times in my old 2016 MB suv, and never had heat like this with the Porsche.

I am totally not qualified to comment on this, but I have a suspicion the Porsche Connect App, along with all the wireless communication + processing drain on the phone are combining to cause this heat issue. It seems like the processor in my iPhone 12 is working extra hard for some reason. Shutting down all unnecessary apps seems to help a small amount.
I've had phone overheating issues in other cars. If you are using carplay and charging at the same time, the phone will cook and potentially shutdown. I've given up on wireless charging and just plug it in... Using iPhone 13 Pro and had issue both with Taycan and Audi Q5.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
For iPhones, the problem is that their Qi wireless charging compatibility is quite finnicky. As a result, as @Oink correctly notes, you need perfect alignment. I myself purchased a USB-C MagSafe charger that I store in the armrest and can use for charging when I need it.

figure1a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne
Country flag
The problem with Qi charging mat type chargers and iPhones is that the camera bump has become so big on iPhones that the bump creates a gap between the phone and the mat which in turn makes the phone hot from the inefficient charging "connection". This happens in just about all cars nowadays and not just Porsches. I switched to this and it has worked great ever since:
https://nine-volt.com/collections/a...-porsche-taycan-with-magsafe-for-apple-iphone

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
It seems like this is primarily an issue that affects the iPhone 12. I’ve tried several Android devices and had no issues, but my iPhone 12 Pro will overheat and thermal throttle like crazy.

Anyone with an iPhone 13 or 14 having the same issue?

Tggr57

First Name
Senth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Same problem with the iPhone the 13
Sponsored