Just installed Ring dash cam over the weekend. Anybody using one?

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Been using it for over a month now and it works great! No problems with install or usage.
Sponsored

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Tesla MX P100D
Country flag
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but any feedback on actually using Ring dash cam? The online reviews are absolutely horrible.

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but any feedback on actually using Ring dash cam? The online reviews are absolutely horrible.
I have one installed. IMHO there's one HUGE advantage and then several drawbacks.

The advantage is ease of install. It's really just plug and play. Even running the wire takes about a minute. That's why I bought it, because I didn't have to pay for install or take apart the car and try to run wires or do (admittedly simple) electrical work myself. We already have Ring doorbells, so I had it up and running in about 5 minutes.

Negatives: the quality is okay, not great. Maybe it's better if you download a clip, but because the app sucks, downloading video is not intuitive (which is a big negative). I tried it once, couldn't do it, and quit. I'm currently trying again (as a test) and it seems that you can only download 20 seconds at a time? That makes no sense but I don't think I'm missing something.

The video doesn't show speed or time of day. That's also a huge negative. It makes zero sense to have a dash cam without a timestamp and GPS data.

You have to pay a subscription for live view and to connect to the camera remotely. This didn't seem like a big deal to me, because it's still cheaper than paying for installation.

Conclusion: now that I've actually typed it out, I think yes, the online reviews are correct that it sucks :) If you want real functionality, better to get one of the models suggested by others on the forum and just pay to have it installed (if you don't want to do it yourself). The only advantage of the Ring is ease of install, but what's the point if the product is subpar?

Curious to see what others who have it installed think.

P.S. I don't think the fact that it sits in the middle of the dash is a negative or a positive. You don't really notice it as the driver. Non-factor for me.

OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
I would not say it sucks. Agreed with the ease of install.

The video quality if fine for me. The 20-second clip does seem to suck, but I think for the functionality of it being a dash cam, it's fine. You only need clips when you have accident/events. Then just pull the part you need. You can alway do multi-20 second clips. yes, a bit of a hassle, but in theory, it will provide video when you need it. You can save a clip for future use with the onboard storage.

I think future firmware updates will probably fix this. Timestamp and GPS overlay is probably just an easy software update. Amazon is pretty good with updates on their products, so I'm trusting (hoping) they will step it up.

As a 1st gen product, it's fine for what it is. It does provide motion detection and notification via the app, and pretty instant. So I like that.

The UI for video playback is stupid, it defaults to cabin facing camera, which I turn off, so it's alway black, took me awhile to figure out you can switch to front facing camera during playback, I just thought my recording was not working.

It's active and being used, so gives me a peace of mind. Waiting for my DRIDE 4k to show up. Then I'll see about replacing the Ring.

-ThinkMac-

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Highly recommend the Fitcamx. Install wasn’t bad at all, company has a great install video for the Taycan. Picture quality is great, no battery issues. And you literally can’t tell it’s there, highly integrated into the car unlike the Ring. Also no subscription. Comes with an SD card that you can pop in and out.
Sponsored