Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I also just realised this is a very different described option in US and Europe – so what I posted above may not apply. I had always just assumed this was the same option – but on closer reading, I think not.

In US market its described as:

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 05.52.36

Where as in the EU its:

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 05.52.58

For the first time I'm noticing 19.2 kW vs 22kW and also the mention of 3-phase in Europe an no mention in the slightly lower power US charger (answering my own question from earlier).

I'm guessing these are very different units installed in different markets and my experiences above have no bearing on the US charger that @GRV is having trouble ordering.

Apologies for adding potential confusion to this thread – I'm learning more as I go!

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I also just realised this is a very different described option in US and Europe – so what I posted above may not apply. I had always just assumed this was the same option – but on closer reading, I think not.

In US market its described as:

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 05.52.36.png

Where as in the EU its:

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 05.52.58.png

For the first time I'm noticing 19.2 kW vs 22kW and also the mention of 3-phase in Europe an no mention in the slightly lower power US charger (answering my own question from earlier).

I'm guessing these are very different units installed in different markets and my experiences above have no bearing on the US charger that @GRV is having trouble ordering.

Apologies for adding potential confusion to this thread – I'm learning more as I go!
It provides the same functionality with different input. 3 phase in the EU in homes is common. In the US you only find 3 phase in commercial installs. Tesla uses a very similar part for both markets. It’s just missing one rectifier in the US. It’s quite possible a problem in one market could be seen in others.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
Why do you feel you will never use the 19.2 kW charger?
Both of my residences are condo high-rises where I have no authority to add a 19.2 kW charger. And they aren't found at public charging facilities either, which means that charger will never be used.

As far as the 150kW/400V DC charging goes, I've learned that such a thing doesn't even exist or at least is incredibly rare at public charging facilities in the US. Instead, the DC fast chargers are almost exclusively 800V, not 400V. Which means I'll never use that charger either.

Receiving better guidance from my sales rep, whom I've been buying Porsches from for twenty years, would've been appreciated. I went into the sales process knowing nothing about EVs thinking, "Yeah, get all these sweet charging enhancements. Whatever helps me charge faster is something I want." In retrospect I guess I should've done my own research but figured it was kind of the sales rep's job to know that kind of stuff and advise accordingly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It provides the same functionality with different input. 3 phase in the EU in homes is common. In the US you only find 3 phase in commercial installs. Tesla uses a very similar part for both markets. It’s just missing one rectifier in the US. It’s quite possible a problem in one market could be seen in others.
3 phase is the exception in UK (possibly also in wider Europe) and not the rule.

So this simply means that despite all our fancy home charger options - PMCC, PMC+, other 3rd party - without 3 phase the best we can get is 7.4kW @ 32A (not 11kW (PMC+) or 22kW (PMCC)) which essentially levels the playing field to 7.4kW for all chargers. So unless you plan on 3 phase then may as well use the free or cheapest charger going which maxes available current.

Good enough for home charging overnight from an SOC 40% (or thereabouts) to SOC 85% after charging.

Cost of installing 3 phase (if permitted) would be ££££.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I was told however that 22 kW charging is much much more common for public charging in Europe - is this not correct information.

if 22 kW charging is a thing in Europe for public charging - I’d highly recomend this option because it’s utilization would be greater than in North America - and 1 or 2 hours at 22 kW is actual charging IMHO - LOL some of our DC Fast Chargers a 25 kW - LOL

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I was told however that 22 kW charging is much much more common for public charging in Europe - is this not correct information.

if 22 kW charging is a thing in Europe for public charging - I’d highly recomend this option because it’s utilization would be greater than in North America - and 1 or 2 hours at 22 kW is actual charging IMHO - LOL some of our DC Fast Chargers a 25 kW - LOL
Public yes, home no.

There are plenty of 50kW DC, 150kW 400V is presenting itself, and 350kW (270kW) is out there albeit thin on the ground currently.

The 22kW AC is a legacy for early EV adopters but such is the march of tech and the need to support a pre-existing base of legacy users who likely are limited to 22kW AC all variants will prevail for some time in conjunction with the proliferation of Rapid & Ultra Fast devices.

I don't understand why Porsche (others) have made this more difficult than it needs to be as it must be cheaper to have an AC onboard charger which is scalable up to say 22kW from the get go than limit to 11kW (limited use here for this - 3 phase challenge - but there are many 11kW public devices too) and then provide 22kW as an option. Less parts one solution!

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I checked in with my sales rep. He has not received any indication that the 19.2kW charger was removed from my order or that any problem exists. My car went into production within the past 24 hours and as far as he can see it’s being built with it.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
3 phase is the exception in UK (possibly also in wider Europe) and not the rule.

So this simply means that despite all our fancy home charger options - PMCC, PMC+, other 3rd party - without 3 phase the best we can get is 7.4kW @ 32A (not 11kW (PMC+) or 22kW (PMCC)) which essentially levels the playing field to 7.4kW for all chargers. So unless you plan on 3 phase then may as well use the free or cheapest charger going which maxes available current.

Good enough for home charging overnight from an SOC 40% (or thereabouts) to SOC 85% after charging.

My mistake then. For some reason I thought 3 phase was more common for residential in the EU.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Perhaps an exception in the U.K. but very common here in France. Also in villas in Sweden. And in a lot of marinas etc. I guess upgrading from a single phase supply to three phase to a home could be quite expensive, but can be done. My neighbour has just upgraded with a second three phase supply of 36 kW.
Installing a 3 phase charger supply compared to a single phase is very little difference.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@polarbear - I'll be very very interested to see what the Dealer installs as your home charging setup - please share details and pictures when you get it all set up.
and now we have our answers - dealers were/are clueless - Porsche is clueless - they messed up the software for it so it can't support Plug&Charger - and they have no actual charging EVSE from Porsche to support this feature…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...w-ac-on-board-charger-option.4162/#post-57278

kinda foreseeable if anyone knew what they were doing.

but for now Porsche has "called it" - this option has been removed from the configurator at least in the US - and I've heard they have issues with this option in other countries - yeah not a well thought out attack plan from Porsche on this one…

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Still shows up in UK (ours is 22kW but imagine they are one and the same).

Porsche Taycan Just ordered 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger. 1615224681274

Not worth the ?
Sponsored