Mission-E wheels without the coated brakes -- brake dust on white parts?

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Hello All, I just bought a fantastic 4S with the Stormtrooper wheels but no ceramic-coated brakes. Will this create unsightly dust on the white portion of the wheels, and is it advisable to just change the wheels for one of the 20-inch wheels for comfort?
Sponsored

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let me know if you go that route (assuming they’re OEM) as I’d maybe trade you + $ for my 20” Turbos, but I doubt brake dust is your issue… even the red caliper steel brakes don’t generate much dust - the Taycan brakes don’t use much in the way of brake pads unless you’re tracking it or just super heavy braking all the time .

OP
OP

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Ok, great. I expect delivery of the car in a week or so and If I find it uncomfortable I will contact you. The window sticker has a label of 47L Porsche exclusive design wheel for $4700, so the are real.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hello All, I just bought a fantastic 4S with the Stormtrooper wheels but no ceramic-coated brakes. Will this create unsightly dust on the white portion of the wheels, and is it advisable to just change the wheels for one of the 20-inch wheels for comfort?
The brake dust is low but it’s still there and would be noticeable on the white finish. I suspect this is why Porsche does not offer this combo. This could be made a little easier to manage with ceramic coating but it would be constant maintenance and you would need to be very careful to avoid damaging the finish.

Given that this wheel looks best with larger brakes anyway, if I were you I would make the swap.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you talking about the Mission E wheels? If so, you should have PSCB and no brake dust.

Exclusive design wheels are not the Mission E wheels.

OP
OP

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Are you talking about the Mission E wheels? If so, you should have PSCB and no brake dust.

Exclusive design wheels are not the Mission E wheels.
I see that now that you explained it. It must have been changed out by the previous owner.
Here is the car. It is CPO, so I trust that they are Porsche genuine wheels.

I am a 27 year die-hard BMW dude who just moved to Porsche, so I am new here..

Porsche Taycan Mission-E wheels without the coated brakes -- brake dust on white parts? c539d12b788a9bfe88798dbb052cc8c9x

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I see that now that you explained it. It must have been changed out by the previous owner.
Here is the car. It is CPO, so I trust that they are Porsche genuine wheels.

I am a 27 year die-hard BMW dude who just moved to Porsche, so I am new here..

c539d12b788a9bfe88798dbb052cc8c9x.jpg
If real, yes, those are Mission E’s. I currently have these.
Porsche Taycan Mission-E wheels without the coated brakes -- brake dust on white parts? IMG_1517

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don’t assume they are OEM wheels, as there are knock offs out there and I don’t think wheels would negate CPO. I would have dealer verify.

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
The car may have PSCB with black calipers based upon the picture. I don’t believe the mission e wheels can be ordered without them or the PCCB

lazvek

First Name
Laz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Carrera S Cabrio
Country flag
I don’t have those wheels, but the Turbo wheels on my 4S accumulate very little brake dust. The brakes aren’t used much while driving on these cars and they are cool to the touch almost all the time. What I see is that a combination of road dirt and a thin film of brake dust will collect after about a week. My rims are black so it’s less noticeable.

One thing that’s worked for me is to ceramic coat the painted parts - it’s made cleaning much easier.

Hope this helps.

Laz

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Brake dust is low because of regenerative braking using the motor most of the time. Do not go down to the 20” wheels. It makes the car look out of proportion and weaker. The 21” wheels fill the wheel wells perfectly as intended. Mileage differences is not worth it. By the way, if you get a little brake dust, then just wipe it with a soft cloth, no sprays needed if you wipe often.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The car may have PSCB with black calipers based upon the picture. I don’t believe the mission e wheels can be ordered without them or the PCCB
He indicated that the wheels were swapped after. Those are not PSCB brakes.

OP
OP

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Brake dust is low because of regenerative braking using the motor most of the time. Do not go down to the 20” wheels. It makes the car look out of proportion and weaker. The 21” wheels fill the wheel wells perfectly as intended. Mileage differences is not worth it. By the way, if you get a little brake dust, then just wipe it with a soft cloth, no sprays needed if you wipe often.
Thank you. How is the ride quality with your 21 inch wheels?

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
There is nothing unique about the wheels that require the PSCB brakes. All the wheels accumulate and manage the brake dust, minimal as it is, in the same way with regard to maintenance. Ceramic coatings do make it even easier to clean.
The white PSCB brakes with the mission E wheels were a design decision to mandate the larger calipers and rotors to fill out the very open styling of the wheels and echo the design ethos of the mission E show car.

you should have no worries. I have 21” wheels on my Taycan, and have not had any complaints at all on ride. I do have the air suspension and live where the roads are pretty good though.
Sponsored