My 3D printed Taycan phone holder

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
This looks great. What object/material did you use to fill the cup area upon which the ESR sits?
Good question. I needed something that would fill the cup and allow a platform for fixing the charger. I used expanding foam, which worked well but is quite light. But it has worked well and hasn’t moved at all
Sponsored

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
Here's my take. Similar to others. But 3D scanned the console to get the exact profile, then printed so that the phone would be slightly angled. Tried to make it look a little cleaner. Will experiment some more if I can find a charger with a lead that isn't straight out.

Have Porsche black specific paint coming to paint match later on.

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 305155019_1712120755837601_1694980540442320147_

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 305177345_495120275374908_6964378907428172271_

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 306153366_500818075189743_1180146175092355692_n

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 307291291_830893604737601_2264205913082632883_n

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
The shown designs are attractive but I'm not primarily interested in viewing my iPhone while driving. On the other hand, the built-in Taycan Qi phone charger is, ah, a bit too compartmentalized and hidden away.

Long story short, I located a 3D printer fabricator who was good enough to create a Taycan cupholder insert to hold an Apple-sized Qi charger. For my purposes (charging, get-phone-out-of-pocket, occasional peek at phone) this works great. The MagSafe hold is reliable and the cord was esay to snake into the compartment's USB-C port. And the compact insert is easily removed.

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0015

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0013

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_0011

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
i'm looking at various online 3d printer services, and there are just lots of choices for what material to use. i'm trying not to overthink it, but is there a 'standard' material to request? ABS, PLA, SLS, MJS, and on and on...

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
You'll want SLS/MJF if you want durability and a more finished plastic look.

First Name
Jean-Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911, Cayenne, 356, BMW i8 & Delorean
Country flag
I did a scan as well (using an Artec Space Spider).

Still experimenting how to fit things best.

Using the vent wasn't ideal as it blocks the airflow ... AND melts (or at least softens) a lot of FDM printable filaments (and my SLA prints are pretty brittle) so seeing Sam's/Axdenied's idea (connecting to the center console) was a lot better.

I'm using this wireless charger :

https://www.isetchi.nl/producten/op...t-draadloze-oplader-magnetisch-15w-snellader/

More news later.

Jean-Marie Cannie

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder TaycanScan

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 20221013_121810

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 20221013_125950

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder 20221013_125955

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder TaycanMount

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder Taycan2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@jeanmariecannie looking good; great to see all the versions of my design :) . Would love to learn more about how you did the scan and then design around it. Will DM you.

kloisdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks to @Axdenied finally had time to fit this to the car. Works perfectly and all cables are hidden. Very neat and tidy and holds the iPhone in place and charges without any heat build up.
3B80D3CC-6D3A-4D4D-AB55-419B72DD5E3F.jpeg
Looks really great, even with the plastic matching the MagSafe puck. What material / service did you use for printing?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The shown designs are attractive but I'm not primarily interested in viewing my iPhone while driving. On the other hand, the built-in Taycan Qi phone charger is, ah, a bit too compartmentalized and hidden away.

Long story short, I located a 3D printer fabricator who was good enough to create a Taycan cupholder insert to hold an Apple-sized Qi charger. For my purposes (charging, get-phone-out-of-pocket, occasional peek at phone) this works great. The MagSafe hold is reliable and the cord was esay to snake into the compartment's USB-C port. And the compact insert is easily removed.

IMG_0011.jpeg
This is a neat solution - nice job.

My picky self would want to find a way to kink the charger power supply to drop into the cupholder and then find a way to feed the hidden wire back to the console supply.

Another thought would be a semi-transparent plastic instead of black to allow the cupholder lights to still be visible - I know getting way too complex :)

WarryBhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S, BMW IX3
Country flag

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0011.jpeg
This looks awesome! Care to join the print file and/or the shop who made this for you? Would love to get my hands on one of these...

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This looks awesome! Care to join the print file and/or the shop who made this for you? Would love to get my hands on one of these...
I don't have the file ... in a related post I provided info. on the fabricator. Here's his contact info. and a bit more of my original description of the installation process:

Fabricator's Etsy page:

https://www.etsy.com/3DCreationsShopUS/listing/1297008198/cup-holder-cover-for-magsafe-chargers

btw, regarding Qi chargers, I discovered yesterday that the inside-the-compartment USB-C chargers were not reliable (at least with the charger I was using). So, instead, I plugged into one of the two USB-C slots behind the front seats. That seems to work well.

This is the charger I'm using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NRG9HCK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It has about the same dimensions as Apple's MagSafe charger.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a neat solution - nice job.

My picky self would want to find a way to kink the charger power supply to drop into the cupholder and then find a way to feed the hidden wire back to the console supply.

Another thought would be a semi-transparent plastic instead of black to allow the cupholder lights to still be visible - I know getting way too complex :)
Your comments are spot on.

I couldn't figure out a way to hide the cord w/out drilling into the cup holder (and possibly further challenges after that). I asked the fabricator about transparency re: the cupholder light. He didn't think that would look as good but you can contact him and ask. Perhaps he'd print one. I'd be interested in transparent also.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Your comments are spot on.

I couldn't figure out a way to hide the cord w/out drilling into the cup holder (and possibly further challenges after that). I asked the fabricator about transparency re: the cupholder light. He didn't think that would look as good but you can contact him and ask. Perhaps he'd print one. I'd be interested in transparent also.
I might well ping him re transparent - can you share what inner diameter you chose (to save me measuring and possibly incorrectly!) - thx!

PS: sent him a request - both for transparent and to leave out the cut-out wire groove which presumably would necessitate a modified 3D model so prob not likely!
Sponsored

Last edited: