Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
To my surprise I was able to hit a speed of 258m/h instead of the advertised 240-250km/h for the Taycan 4s. It felt software limited, at a speed of about 255km/h it felt the vehicle was holding back. (Location; Autobahn - road was almost empty)

Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4s is faster than advertised e8802a54-a020-45ea-9027-5786f189bb55
Sponsored

Last edited:

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
Generally speak, most on-board car speedometers display higher than actual speed. They can over read by up to 10% depending on prevailing legislation. I’ve not checked the accuracy of the Taycan speedometer, but did you check the speed with something with known accuracy?

chun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020, Cayman GT4
Country flag
Taycans are soft limited to 259 kmh as far as my dealer told me - depending on model, some will reach that easier than others. Speedometer might display more in error a few %.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have checked my Taycan speedo against a GPS app, which has to be correct, and it is going 30mph at an indicated 32.
I haven’t checked higher speeds yet but our Prius is 33 and 76 indicated at 30 and 70 so on the legal limit of accuracy in the UK.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
To my surprise I was able to hit a speed of 258m/h instead of the advertised 240-250km/h for the Taycan 4s. It felt software limited, at a speed op 255km/h it felt the vehicle was holding back. (Location; Autobahn - road was almost empty)

e8802a54-a020-45ea-9027-5786f189bb55.jpg
Another possibility (aside from questioning the accuracy of your results) is Porsche’s long standing tradition of underrating their vehicles. They tend to have more power than advertised and better 0-60’s in the real world. It would not surprise me to have them slightly exceed the advertised top speed.

OP
OP
Jasper4S

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Another possibility (aside from questioning the accuracy of your results) is Porsche’s long standing tradition of underrating their vehicles. They tend to have more power than advertised and better 0-60’s in the real world. It would not surprise me to have them slightly exceed the advertised top speed.
My thoughts too.

What others suggest is true too, but in that scenario the vehicle needs to stop at 250 - since in this scenario it knows the GPS speed. But the vehicle doesn't know the GPS speeds, else it would show it rather than the now shown speed

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Yes, Porsche underrates their cars. That's a historical fact.

But also, by law, the speedometer _must_ run ahead in the EU.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
I use the "Speedometer" app on my iPhone to test the accuracy of my vehicles speedos. It's a GPS based app that is very accurate.

Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4s is faster than advertised IMG_7456

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
I didn’t GPS verify at top speed, but I’ve hit an indicated 160 mph on my 4S a couple of times. When I have checked GPS at lower speeds, it’s pretty close to indicated speed, within 1-2mph…far closer than what my older German cars would be.

Porschejev

First Name
Jeroem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s Volvo V70
Country flag
Mostly it is 5-10% less than what meter says. I have reached 260 km/hr on German highway. Think it could perhaps go faster still. Check with an app like I guess will work, Flitsmeister ..

ZephyrSurfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
955 CTT
Country flag
And I'm sure, in addition to the speedometer variance, the top speed is software-limited. They don't want to cannibalize 911 sales, after all.

Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have checked my Taycan speedo against a GPS app, which has to be correct, and it is going 30mph at an indicated 32.
I haven’t checked higher speeds yet but our Prius is 33 and 76 indicated at 30 and 70 so on the legal limit of accuracy in the UK.
I've owned 7 Porsches. Every one of them indicated 2 mph above the GPS speed.

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Interesting. I find it strange the variances on max speeds, you would think they all would be exactly the same. On my top end run, I got to 150mph quickly, then the software limiter took over and really slowed it down to 154mph where it topped out. I didn't feel comfortable pushing it further considering the time it took to get there and I was not on the autobahn.
Porsche Taycan My Taycan 4s is faster than advertised Screenshot_20230530_120513_Gallery

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Interesting. I find it strange the variances on max speeds, you would think they all would be exactly the same. On my top end run, I got to 150mph quickly, then the software limiter took over and really slowed it down to 154mph where it topped out. I didn't feel comfortable pushing it further considering the time it took to get there and I was not on the autobahn.
Screenshot_20230530_120513_Gallery.jpg
I would expect a naturally-aspirated Taycan to be a tad slower at high altitude; a turbo would have fared better.

(I'll see myself out.)

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I would expect a naturally-aspirated Taycan to be a tad slower at high altitude; a turbo would have fared better.

(I'll see myself out.)
That is one of the main reasons I switched to an EV. I do a lot of mountain road driving and the power reduction as you gain altitude is aggravating. I started with a Lexus GS F (naturally aspirated V8), then moved to the Pan Turbo (twin turbos really helped but still very noticeable). The Taycan shreds at all altitudes (obv), I absolutely love it.

(You don't have to leave, sarcasm is welcome here).
Sponsored