tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
I received this email from Porsche. This is ridiculous they want me to throttle my $2500 charger to half speed and act like it's no big deal. I paid 1800 to have a 50A circuit installed because they recommended this. And now they want us to run it at 20A?

That's like selling a 600 HP 911 and telling the buyer to disable 3 cylinders and one of the turbos or the car may overheat.

Porsche needs to refund or replace these faulty units or I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit!

This notice applies to your vehicle: WP0AA2Y12NSxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Gore,

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) has developed an update to the Porsche Mobile charger for your E-hybrid or Taycan vehicle. We are contacting you because this update is now available to you free at your Porsche Dealer.

What is the issue?
High temperatures can occur in the plug socket when charging the vehicle using the Porsche Mobile Charger in conjunction with NEMA industrial plugs, due to the higher charging current. In certain situations, this can lead to heat damage to the electrical socket.

What will Porsche Do?
Your Porsche Dealer will limit the default current charging setting to 50% on your Porsche Mobile Charger and affix a warning sticker to your Porsche Mobile Charger using the NEMA standard. You will also be given a supplement to the Owner's Manual.

Thank you for your patience and allowing us to help maintain continued satisfaction with your vehicle.

What should you do?
Please contact your local Porsche dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to have your vehicle’s mobile charger updated at NO CHARGE TO YOU.

Schedule Service Appointment

To find your nearest authorized Porsche dealer, visit: www.porsche.com/usa

What if you are not the owner or operator of this vehicle?
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified above, please forward this email to the lessee within ten days of receipt. If you’ve changed your address or sold the vehicle, please click one of the links below or contact customer support so we can update our records.

Change Your Address

No Longer Own Vehicle

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tomdfw1

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
So, rather than just spend $650 for a different charger, you’d spend time pursuing a lawsuit? Is your time really of that little value to you? I’d pay $650 just to not see anymore threads about this issue on this forum.
Your time is so valuable you seem to spend most of it on this forum.
I believe in something called a principal. I don't stand for people or companies to take advantage of others. If people don't stand up for what's right this type of action will be rampant.

You accept this behavior? Tell ya what, I got a fake Rolex I can sell you.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe in something called a principal. I don't stand for people or companies to take advantage of others. If people don't stand up for what's right this type of action will be rampant.
Changing the world by fighting injustice in the form of an underperforming accessory of your six figure car, are ya?:CWL:

You’re wasting your time, but, again if you have nothing better to spend what would be hours and hours of your time, more power to you.

And it’s principle, not principal…

ChronoMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT
Country flag
if/when this issue hits the greater automotive press (or even the mainstream news) it will cause tremendous damage to the brand's image and reputation.

I remember years ago when Intel made a defective chip. They proactively exchanged them all completeley free of charge, no questions asked.

Maybe Porsche is trying to keep this quiet until after the IPO?
This could blow up badly for them (no pun)

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
I received this email from Porsche. This is ridiculous they want me to throttle my $2500 charger to half speed and act like it's no big deal. I paid 1800 to have a 50A circuit installed because they recommended this. And now they want us to run it at 20A?

That's like selling a 600 HP 911 and telling the buyer to disable 3 cylinders and one of the turbos or the car may overheat.

Porsche needs to refund or replace these faulty units or I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit!

Dear Mr. Gore,

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) has developed an update to the Porsche Mobile charger for your E-hybrid or Taycan vehicle. We are contacting you because this update is now available to you free at your Porsche Dealer.

What is the issue?
High temperatures can occur in the plug socket when charging the vehicle using the Porsche Mobile Charger in conjunction with NEMA industrial plugs, due to the higher charging current. In certain situations, this can lead to heat damage to the electrical socket.

What will Porsche Do?
Your Porsche Dealer will limit the default current charging setting to 50% on your Porsche Mobile Charger and affix a warning sticker to your Porsche Mobile Charger using the NEMA standard. You will also be given a supplement to the Owner's Manual.

Thank you for your patience and allowing us to help maintain continued satisfaction with your vehicle.

What should you do?
Please contact your local Porsche dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to have your vehicle’s mobile charger updated at NO CHARGE TO YOU.

If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified above, please forward this email to the lessee within ten days of receipt. If you’ve changed your address or sold the vehicle, please click one of the links below or contact customer support so we can update our records.

Change Your Address

No Longer Own Vehicle

Sincerely,
It should embarrass Porsche as it reeks of cheapness and poor quality. Very bad look for the brand and worse still that it is being handled so poorly.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It should embarrass Porsche as it reeks of cheapness and poor quality. Very bad look for the brand and worse still that it is being handled so poorly.
The sad reality is that it will not embarrass Porsche because unless you can explain it on a bumper sticker, the general public an average consumer is not capable of understanding what the issue it. They can claim it is still a 40A charger, as you can override the default. So you and I and a bunch of people here know they bought a cheap-ass design, but explaining, forget proving it, takes longer than an attention span of an average consumer, yes, Porsche consumer included.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

I think you're absolutely right.
If you payed $100K+ for a car doesn't mean you shouldn't be complaining about a $1800 item.
Money is money.
The item just isn't delivering what it should, very simple.
Porsche wants to avoid overheating which is a good thing, safety first.
Burning chargers, cars and houses is something you don't want on your record.
Still, they delivered a faulty item so you should at least get compensation of some sort.
Knowing Porsche, they will fix it or give customers some kind of compensation.
I think you should have a little bit more patience before starting law suits but then again, law suits will speed up the proces of Porsche to get their customers happy...
This is a big thing imho.
Porsche knows that.
I think it would be wise to contact your dealer and explain your dissatisfaction.
Let them contact Porsche and be persistent about that.
The more people complain, the faster they have to take action.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Knowing Porsche, they will fix it or give customers some kind of compensation.
first Porsche has to acknowledge that they are in the wrong. now they are in cover their ass mode.
I am year two of a three year lease, how much patience do I need?

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Dear Mr. Gore,

What is the issue?

What will Porsche Do?

What should you do?

Change Your Address

No Longer Own Vehicle

Sincerely,
So my 2020 TTurbo just got back from the "BIG" update. They knew about my charger issue and simply reduced the amps so it now charges more slowly at home. NOT what I paid for when I bought the car and believe Porsche owes me some sort of compensation: either a refund for the charger or replace it with one that doesn't overheat and works as advertised.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Porsche may owe but fighting this fight is not worth my time. In other words, the cost of the actions I would have to take and the time I would have to waste outweigh any benefit I might receive. Also, I'm too tired for any outrage. Maybe it's age, maybe it's pandemic weariness, but f*ck it, I'm just not interested in fighting. Let's make a truffled risotto with homemade lobster stock and open a burgundy instead.

swag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross turismo
Country flag

You accept this behavior? Tell ya what, I got a fake Rolex I can sell you.
Man spit out the truth.
itsall About principle and people seem to forget this nowadays .

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
just a reminder this problem can be "solved" for as little as $200…

I'd be fine with a return/refund - but that's not really an option - because Standard equipment on the vehicle "includes" an EVSE - I'm thinking we all have to keep it so that it's given away along with the vehicle when it's sold/returned - but I'd be fine with Porsche refunding it's costs where it was a line item on the purchase agreement…

but yeah my approach is:
  • the PMC+/PMCC is dead to me - store it and ignore
  • purchase an alternate EVSE - I'll need one anyways for my next EV
  • attempt to shame Porsche into giving me my money back for their poorly designed/implemented unit - to help defray the cost of the new EVSE which I'll get to keep
Honestly these things are like USB chargers - they are not vendor specific and will/should with any EV/Hybrid you bring home in the future.

I'd also be fine with an alternate EVSE provided by Porsche that can perform at the expected rate.

but it's pretty clear this one is not up to the task and its also pretty clear Porsche seems to now acknowledge what we've all known for at least 2 years.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
I do not think it is necessarily worth a class action suit or any legal action. I do think Porsche should be shamed for such poor engineering and inadequate remediation of this PMC/PMCC issue.

Porsche is a performance brand, cutting the performance of their EVSE charge rate by half is hilariously unacceptable. The way Porsche is handling this tells me they really are just a brand, and not a brand I trust to build quality products.

Shame on Porsche
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.