New to me Taycan: how to charge?!

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Pcarwhisper video posted above is good showing the steps to use the MyPorsche app to charge at EA stations.

Note that when he got to the station, he used the app and hit the "start charging" button on the app, then connected the cable to the car. Usually the EA station console says "Plug in first". Don't plug in first if you use the MyPorsche app. Start charging with the app, then plug in, like the video shows.

After the charging process is successfully stopped, the Taycan will turn on a light above the charging plug which shines down on the plug, indicating you may remove the plug. This light is separate from the light on the button, which can change colors.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
It's not a work-around, it's a retrofit of the on-board AC charger accompanied by software changes. @daveo4EV wrote a thread on this:
By my reading, it’s not conclusive that @daveo4EV ’s dealer was quoting definitive confirmation that MY20 cars could receive the retrofit. Sounds like they went from not having heard of it to sharing the general blurb about it. The definitive confirmation would come from parts department running your VIN and seeing the 19.2/22kW AC charging retrofit kit pop up as compatible. @daveo4EV - did they explicitly confirm for your MY20?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
By my reading, it’s not conclusive that @daveo4EV ’s dealer was quoting definitive confirmation that MY20 cars could receive the retrofit. Sounds like they went from not having heard of it to sharing the general blurb about it. The definitive confirmation would come from parts department running your VIN and seeing the 19.2/22kW AC charging retrofit kit pop up as compatible. @daveo4EV - did they explicitly confirm for your MY20?
yes confirmed - kits is available.

it is a $5000 retrofit given parts kit + labor.

Porsche's press kit annoucments also confirms kit availability and plug&charge support for MY 2020 - see the thread for quotes.

thread was pretty clear.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Are you sure?
I thought that 2020 could be upgraded, so plug&charge could work for them.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...ge-software-update-2023-model-year-29112.html

quote below is from Porsche directly - link above _IS_ Porsche's press release - not sure there is any ambiguity.

… The 22 kW onboard charger has now also recently become available for retrofitting1. Customers can combine this retrofit at their own expense with a workshop visit for the software update. With up to 22 kW of charging capacity, the more powerful variant charges the battery significantly faster. In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function
1 - Currently no offer for South Korea and Canada.

Reactions: B61

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag