OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
For those in the process of ordering your new Taycan, you may be considering the noise insulating glass and thinking what is this all about. You can find a Porsche video on the product and some technical gumpf. For me it was a bit of leap and as I have taken delivery of my car thought I would give my impressions.

Noise insulating glass appears to be double glazed windows for your car, but with a film between the two glass wafers to reduce sound and improve insulation. Does it work? Honestly it’s hard to say, but my GTS is lovely and quiet. Listening to music is a nice experience. Having no music at all and just driving with a whisper quiet interior and no engine noise makes the car very special indeed.

At certain angles with particular light settings (hard to photograph) the windows look a little milky from the outside. Looking straight inside at a 90 degree angle the glass is clear. I’ve included a photo from my garage camera at night looking at the front windscreen (Taycan on the left), which shows the film really has some substance to it. It looks like one of those flexible sun protection mats but it is not. Purely the native glass.

One pleasant surprise is all of the glass, excluding the front door glass and front windscreen has been factory tinted. I like the shade and effect it has both inside and outside of the car. I’m unsure whether the glass is tinted for all countries. You can see from the attached photo the difference in tint from rear to front.

There is one other item I’ve noticed, and that is the front door and windscreen glass really lets in the sunlight and glare. It just seems more intense when compared to my old car. It could be an optical illusion, but I wonder whether the film amplifies light and glare? Normally I would tint the windows, but my sales executive had not seen a GTS with this option and so we decided not to apply tint. I will however definitely need to tint the front door glass and wear my sunnies when I‘m driving.

Overall I’m happy with the option and if you are considering it, I hope this information helps with your decision.

Porsche Taycan Noise insulating glass option IMG_2508

Porsche Taycan Noise insulating glass option 13fdaa1f-eab3-4db9-a85f-584441cc25d9

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I did not option insulating glass. Not absolutely sure it was the right choice, but this was my thinking (with my background as an architect having been involved in a few sound studio projects):
a) insulating glass reduces noise coming from the air outside to the air inside
b) but it does not reduce noise coming other ways, among them from wheels through chassis and body, or from airflow friction over the car, or from motors
c) I tried cars with both types of glass, but the one without the ins-glass only on a short trip, so I could not conclude from evidence
d) but since I almost never drive where there is much air noise, and a) matters very much less than b) anyway, and I am not in a hot climate, I skipped the insulating glass.

Can’t say I regret. But base your decision on your situation, and preferably more testing than I did.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I did not option insulating glass. Not absolutely sure it was the right choice, but this was my thinking (with my background as an architect having been involved in a few sound studio projects):
a) insulating glass reduces noise coming from the air outside to the air inside
b) but it does not reduce noise coming other ways, among them from wheels through chassis and body, or from airflow friction over the car, or from motors
c) I tried cars with both types of glass, but the one without the ins-glass only on a short trip, so I could not conclude from evidence
d) but since I almost never drive where there is much air noise, and a) matters very much less than b) anyway, and I am not in a hot climate, I skipped the insulating glass.

Can’t say I regret. But base your decision on your situation, and preferably more testing than I did.
IME structure borne noise is far more likely to affect the cabin than airborne too.

I selected it anyway, anything making the car quieter is a bonus IMO.

The big, and variable, noise is surface noise transmitted from different road surfaces and the differences are huge here.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
IME structure borne noise is far more likely to affect the cabin than airborne too.

I selected it anyway, anything making the car quieter is a bonus IMO.

The big, and variable, noise is surface noise transmitted from different road surfaces and the differences are huge here.
Do you now, after experience, consider that the insulating glass in itself does reduce road surface noise from outside the car to inside it to a degree worth mentioning? That is where my logic may have been insufficient.

Regarding road noise in general: I find my Taycan has so little other noise that I would have preferred if a bit more construction effort (and even a few kilograms) had been expended to reduce it.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have insulated glass and it really works. I had a loaner without the diffenrce is clear. Also when opening a window in the city it is obvious.

I have also noticed the milky aspect of the tinted rear windows in sunlight. Not really nice. Didn’t know it was the tinting or insulated glass. First thought it had some kind of greasy layer that could be removed.

And also there is a yellow hue on the windscreen that cars without don’t have. If you have two next to each other it is quite obvious.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Do you now, after experience, consider that the insulating glass in itself does reduce road surface noise from outside the car to inside it to a degree worth mentioning? That is where my logic may have been insufficient.
You were probably correct and it is also what I would expect. Apart from in tunnels…

Reactions: or1

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
I have the insulated glass and added 3M crystalline film. Extremely happy with the result. Just make sure you have insurance on that glass. I had to replace the rear window on my sedan and it ran over $1,800.

AllanG

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Macan S in Crayon
Country flag
I have insulated glass and it really works. I had a loaner without the diffenrce is clear. Also when opening a window in the city it is obvious.

I have also noticed the milky aspect of the tinted rear windows in sunlight. Not really nice. Didn’t know it was the tinting or insulated glass. First thought it had some kind of greasy layer that could be removed.

And also there is a yellow hue on the windscreen that cars without don’t have. If you have two next to each other it is quite obvious.
The yellow hue on the windscreen may be caused by the heating element, if you have the heated screen option, as I have the same yellow hue on my Macan, which has the heated screen, but not the insulated glass option.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The yellow hue on the windscreen may be caused by the heating element, if you have the heated screen option, as I have the same yellow hue on my Macan, which has the heated screen, but not the insulated glass option.
The Taycan doesn’t have the heated screen option.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The insulated glass limits a lot more than just airflow noise. And if you don’t think tire noise comes through the windows, roll a window down as you’re driving down your street and tell me if the tire noise goes up.

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Not sure there is an option for heated windscreen (if that is what you mean), certainly in the UK. I have the same hue, in certain conditions, and you see it on this video too

I went for the insulated glass (no privacy) and think it really makes a difference with wind noise and passing traffic etc. With that quietened down, it probably enhances, or makes more noticeable, the sound of the motors, which I really like when slowing or accelerating.
Sponsored