OP
Bsteffes

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
I had heat issues with my charger as well. It got so hot I could hardly hold onto it. I had to reduce to <35 amp charging. After numerous back and forths with my dealership, they thought the best course of action would be to replace the charger with a new one as they were hearing that there were many faulty PCMM's out there. They gave me a new one from an unsold Taycan on the lot and ever since I have had no problems charging at 40amps. It get slightly warm but nothing nlike the first charger did.
that is promising. My dealer is doing the same thing for me. I will report back.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bsteffes

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, unfortunately I have seen that message a few times. I'm in Florida too. Usually, you just have to unplug, wait for everything to cool down and then try again. Not very comforting though.

I presume you have seen the other threads regarding the temperature issues relating to the PMCC. Coincidentally, I went to charge last night for the first time time in a few days and upon plugging in the charger to my car, I got the following:

IMG_3136.JPG

I unplugged the car, waited a few minutes and then plugged in again. Message went away and charging was fine. I am, however, based on Porsche's latest recommendation, charging at 32 amps instead of the full 40 amps to try to help limit the heat load on the charger and my circuit breaker.
Update. Received new charger from my dealer. It cooked itself as well. 4 hours of charging is too much for a FL garage.
sent email to dealer. Awaiting response from Porsche NA

I’m not holding my breathe.This car was too much for the dealer network. Neither sales or service was fully ready for all of the first generation model issues.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Update. Received new charger from my dealer. It cooked itself as well. 4 hours of charging is too much for a FL garage.
sent email to dealer. Awaiting response from Porsche NA

I’m not holding my breathe.This car was too much for the dealer network. Neither sales or service was fully ready for all of the first generation model issues.
Sorry to hear that. My car and charger are going back to the dealer on Friday because my charger is occassionally giving me that "Charging Not Possible - Circuit Breaker Triggered Error". Seeing that several forum members are getting replacement chargers, I am going to request a new charger as well. Even though it won't help the temperature issue unless they have changed the adapter cable, at least Porsche NA will continue to see complaints about the ongoing problem and address it sooner rather than later.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Bsteffes I agree with you - but I also recall and find hilarious that the existing Manufacturers consider their dealer networks an "advantage" - I've never agreed with them - also some deep porsche fan boy's also said the Dealer network is an advantage - this has never made any sense to me - and I often find the existing dealer networks to be mostly clueless regarding EV's.

OP
OP
Bsteffes

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Bsteffes I agree with you - but I also recall and find hilarious that the existing Manufacturers consider their dealer networks an "advantage" - I've never agreed with them - also some deep porsche fan boy's also said the Dealer network is an advantage - this has never made any sense to me - and I often find the existing dealer networks to be mostly clueless regarding EV's.
Clueless is a kind word. I would choose other adjectives if I felt like poking the bear.
Should be an interesting first year with the car, dealer, a s manufacturer support.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
they are also only slowly realizing this is the beginning of the end for them as sales/finance

as documented in my purchase experience - the finance guy at my local dealer is directly compensated on his "upsell" rate during vehicle payment paperwork for various "programs" in addition to vehicle purchase - many of those program have no applicability to an EV - and the most lucrative the "5 year service" program is the majority of his compensation for selling that program....

he realized during my sale that program won't be sold with EV's - and that's he is personally screwed because of that - he lost a lot on interest in EV's that day while sitting with me.

EV's are the beginning of the end for the dealer networks as they are currently structured - I wonder if the blockbuster video guys watching Netflix at home realized they too were on their way out.

OP
OP
Bsteffes

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
they are also only slowly realizing this is the beginning of the end for them as sales/finance

as documented in my purchase experience - the finance guy at my local dealer is directly compensated on his "upsell" rate during vehicle payment paperwork for various "programs" in addition to vehicle purchase - many of those program have no applicability to an EV - and the most lucrative the "5 year service" program is the majority of his compensation for selling that program....

he realized during my sale that program won't be sold with EV's - and that's he is personally screwed because of that - he lost a lot on interest in EV's that day while sitting with me.

EV's are the beginning of the end for the dealer networks as they are currently structured - I wonder if the blockbuster video guys watching Netflix at home realized they too were on their way out.
Totally agree. Most will not realize the end has already been written. Remove the protections they receive and see how they would compete in an “Amazon” world. The entire system needs to be turned on its head. It’s outdated. These cars represent the future and the possibility that lies ahead for the industry. The existing dealership model is a laggard at best.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
My internal CPU temperature is 183 degrees. Is this too hot?

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 10.33.42 PM

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
183 deg. F is hot, but not overheated. It does depend on exactly how/where the diagnostic code is measuring the CPU temperature. That said, cooler (< 160 deg. F) is better for longer life, but the difference between 160 and 183 is potentially the difference between 25 year life and 20 year life (just to put that in perspective so you don't worry). Something in the charger will fail before the CPU fails at 183 deg. F.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
183 deg. F is hot, but not overheated. It does depend on exactly how/where the diagnostic code is measuring the CPU temperature. That said, cooler (< 160 deg. F) is better for longer life, but the difference between 160 and 183 is potentially the difference between 25 year life and 20 year life (just to put that in perspective so you don't worry). Something in the charger will fail before the CPU fails at 183 deg. F.
Well, the unit got very hot to the point where I did not feel safe with where it was located. Then it went from bad to worse from there.

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated Error Messa
Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated Some 3 hours later

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was referring only to the CPU temp. With the rest of the PMCC getting too hot to touch, I'd be wary of a bad internal connection and I'd take it into the dealer - especially given the in-car errors you have encountered.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is not clear if the problem is with the charger or the car. If it was the charger then there should not be an electrical error at the car. Maybe something is wrong with the car and that forces overcommunication with the charger which inevitably overheated it.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is not clear if the problem is with the charger or the car. If it was the charger then there should be an electrical error at the car. Maybe something is wrong with the car and that forces overcommunication with the charger which inevitably overheated it.
Exactly what they are looking into.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can also speculate that we all are not doing ourselves any favors by running these devices inside the enclosed cabinets (Porsche Docks) with limited/zero airflow
Looks like. Have you ever tried to take the charger out and keep the cable from the socket to the charger in straight line? Does it still heat up the same?

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for your thread, as I was wondering if I should buy the casing I think I will rather buy the Wall Bracket
TE20MODTD0030_low_Wandhalterung_Basis_huge.jpg

No so nice (at least less bulky) but maybe less trouble, and lucky me as my future Taycan will be a MY2021 the connect mobile charger comes as a free option
Nothing to worry, the power supply in most of the world is very different to the US.