PORSHE TAYCAN TURBO missing electric steering wheel due to parts shortage? Really?

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
.... My Taycan is coming into the port today - so we'll see. I'll have something to report in about a week.
My Cherry Metallic RWD Taycan is on that some boat that is due into Baltimore tonight at 8pm (local time). My dealer told me that I will not have the electronic steering column adjustment nor something called 'supply remote control' but that neither of those require a stop sale condition and quite honestly that is what I focused on (the no 'stop sale' condition).

Honestly with some of the concerns about 'what will I get', or 'how do I know they will make it right' because my car will be short a feature that will be installed later I wonder why you even went to that dealer. If I mistrusted the dealer that much I really don't think I would have ever bought a car from them. I really don't think that my dealer created this situation or is even happy he has to deal with the situation. I certainly don't expect him to give me something to compensate me for something that is totally out of their control. They said they are sorry about the situation and that is good enough for me. Guess I just weird that way......
Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Cherry Metallic RWD Taycan is on that some boat that is due into Baltimore tonight at 8pm (local time). My dealer told me that I will not have the electronic steering column adjustment nor something called 'supply remote control' but that neither of those require a stop sale condition and quite honestly that is what I focused on (the no 'stop sale' condition).

Honestly with some of the concerns about 'what will I get', or 'how do I know they will make it right' because my car will be short a feature that will be installed later I wonder why you even went to that dealer. If I mistrusted the dealer that much I really don't think I would have ever bought a car from them. I really don't think that my dealer created this situation or is even happy he has to deal with the situation. I certainly don't expect him to give me something to compensate me for something that is totally out of their control. They said they are sorry about the situation and that is good enough for me. Guess I just weird that way......
Guess I'm with you 100%. Some of the comments and concerns expressed in this thread are beyond the pale. This is a situation that all manufacturers are trying to manage through and I'm sure it's beyond a nightmare. And the dealerships are caught in the middle - asking them to take some financial hit for this is a bit rich. I'm confident they'll make it right as soon as they can. If I didn't I wouldn't do business with them in the first place - or would cancel my order and move on (and wait a year for another car). First world problems.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Yes. This. x10.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I own a Tesla Model Y. Recently, without reducing the price and without notice, Tesla dropped the radar from the car (which, in my opinion, makes the Tesla auto steer function less safe) and the lumbar adjustment on the passenger seat.

Personally, I'd take a 'missing' minor feature (where the feature will be added later on by Porsche) rather than buying a car and finding that it will never have that feature.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag

It is not about that, absence of chips is the dealer's or manufacturer"s mistake. It is not. It is about that, dealers and manufacturers kept quiet. The guy who started the topic was not informed at all(!), especially the dealer said first, electric steering column is not part of the equipment. Most of the cases things came out at the delivery, although months ago (when the car was assembled or before) they new it. Next to it manufacturer could compensate the dealers, dealers the customers. Not because it is their mistake, because of the habit they provided.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is not about that, absence of chips is the dealer's or manufacturer"s mistake. It is not. It is about that, dealers and manufacturers kept quiet. The guy who started the topic was not informed at all(!), especially the dealer said first, electric steering column is not part of the equipment. Most of the cases things came out at the delivery, although months ago (when the car was assembled or before) they new it. Next to it manufacturer could compensate the dealers, dealers the customers. Not because it is their mistake, because of the habit they provided.
You all make this out like it's some systemic issue. Sorry, it's not. If a dealer f-d up, that's on them.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You all make this out like it's some systemic issue. Sorry, it's not. If a dealer f-d up, that's on them.
If the dealers were not informed by the manufacturer as early as possible, it is systematic issue.
Do you have an information about that, manufacturer issued a general or car by car statement public, or to the dealers?

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the dealers were not informed by the manufacturer as early as possible, it is systematic issue.
Do you have an information about that, manufacturer issued a general or car by car statement public, or to the dealers?
Otherwise I totally agree, if the dealer f-d up that's on them. That is equal with compensation.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Maybe not a big thing: Taycan T-Shirt, model car in the color of yours, second key in the color of your car, invitation for track day... anything.
Let’s all pitch in to buy @Bognar67 a t-shirt so he’s happy.

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do know that Porsche has communicated this to dealerships in general terms - and they've all been witnessing the issue for some time now. This is not new. They have been managing it across the product line for months. See my previous posts on this thread (it's not that long). As mentioned in a previous post, they shut down the Macan line (and Cayennes) to shift parts/chips to other models. Macan production was down for about 6 weeks. 911s have been being delivered without the steering adjustment for several weeks (as reported on Rennlist - but totally different response from owners and nobody's lighting their hair on fire). Specific issues with individual vehicles are communicated to dealerships when invoiced (at least in the US) - so dealers are aware but not weeks before delivery. Could that be better - maybe. But my point is that this is not some big conspiracy to hide things from customers, and I'd rather have my car now versus 6 months from now. The "fix" is relatively straightforward. So I'm OK with it. If you're not, that's OK with me. But I have a lot of history with Porsche and a lot of history with my dealership's sales and service groups, so my trust is not some naive blind trust. But the last thing I'm going to do is sign on to some conspiracy theory, which some comments on this thread border on.

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Macan, Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is an interesting thread with many differing points of view. Can all agree on the following?

1. Someone at the factory decided to install manual steering columns on Taycans ordered with electric steering columns.

2. The decision to change to manual steering columns should have been transmitted to a high-level company officer.

3. Someone at Porsche likely decided whether or not to communicate this non-conformity directly to the customers.

4. Some customers received a letter about the component change, and others did not.

5. All of us prefer to be advised of missing components and features prior to delivery so that we may make intelligent and informed decisions.

6. It is unlikely that your dealership has any experience converting the steering column on a Taycan from manual to electric.

7. The Taycan has many sensitive electronic components.

8. There is some risk of damage when your vehicle is retrofitted.

DLP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Turbo
Country flag
My Turbo was delivered without electric steering adjustment. The dealership contacted me before delivery to let me know that the car would be upgraded to electric adjustment when the chip was available. No big deal. I think i have adjusted the steering once and i would rather have the car delivered than it be delayed for such a minor detail
Sponsored