PPF regrets?

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Anyone get PPF and totally regret it? I’m considering a total body XPEL PPF with Opticoat pro ceramic (got a quote for $8k, including XPEL ceramic window tint). Just wanted to know if anyone had issues with PPF later that made them wish they didn’t get it or waste their money
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I had PPF on the front of my 2014 GT3. 7 years and no problems or complaints. My only regret is that I didn't have it applied before taking delivery as I picked up a couple of tiny chips in the first couple of weeks. None since. I will be getting a front end treatment on the new Taycan before I drive it for the first time.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
No regrets whatsoever. Turned out great.

Ajes

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Highl. Hybrid, Civic HB, Taycan 4s order
Country flag
Or could ask also if anyone got front PPF and then wished they got full body coverage. I’ve been quoted about $2.5K front while $6K total body not including ceramic.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m considering a total body XPEL PPF with Opticoat pro ceramic (got a quote for $8k, including XPEL ceramic window tint).
I'm being cautious here because there are a lot of fine people that lose their minds if you question the need for ceramic coat on PPF, so please bear with me. The supercar customization shop where I had my Taycan PPF'd stopped applying ceramic coat to PPF after they switched to their current PPF brand. I'm not going to name the brand of PPF they use now because it may not be the only brand that does not benefit from ceramic coat, and I don't want to come across as pushing a particular brand. I had them ceramic coat an older vehicle of mine that lacks PPF, so they are glad to take my money to apply ceramic coat, but they cannot in good conscience do so when the car has been PPF'd with this film and there is utterly no detectible benefit to adding ceramic coat. If you speak to the installers as I have about how they enjoy their job, they speak of a zen-like experience that makes an 8+ hour day seem like minutes, because they can just zone out in the film and coating application processes. I wouldn't hold it against your shop if they truly believe that deeply religious experience must have tangible benefit, even if it doesn't. But like your best friend who fervently urges you to take homeopathic herbal remedies, they may have all the right intentions while speaking nonsense.

gelkad

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo, 992 Turbo S
Country flag
Anyone get PPF and totally regret it? I’m considering a total body XPEL PPF with Opticoat pro ceramic (got a quote for $8k, including XPEL ceramic window tint). Just wanted to know if anyone had issues with PPF later that made them wish they didn’t get it or waste their money
No Regrets ever, please don’t add ceramic, no need with the new generation of PPF

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I'm being cautious here because there are a lot of fine people that lose their minds if you question the need for ceramic coat on PPF, so please bear with me. The supercar customization shop where I had my Taycan PPF'd stopped applying ceramic coat to PPF after they switched to their current PPF brand. I'm not going to name the brand of PPF they use now because it may not be the only brand that does not benefit from ceramic coat, and I don't want to come across as pushing a particular brand. I had them ceramic coat an older vehicle of mine that lacks PPF, so they are glad to take my money to apply ceramic coat, but they cannot in good conscience do so when the car has been PPF'd with this film and there is utterly no detectible benefit to adding ceramic coat. If you speak to the installers as I have about how they enjoy their job, they speak of a zen-like experience that makes an 8+ hour day seem like minutes, because they can just zone out in the film and coating application processes. I wouldn't hold it against your shop if they truly believe that deeply religious experience must have tangible benefit, even if it doesn't. But like your best friend who fervently urges you to take homeopathic herbal remedies, they may have all the right intentions while speaking nonsense.
No Regrets ever, please don’t add ceramic, no need with the new generation of PPF
Interesting. I’ve always done ceramic on top of PPF, and my recently acquired Taycan is getting that treatment as I type this (probably too late to back out of it). I wonder if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison video.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm the opposite, I only got a Kenzo Ceramic coating and would stick with just that again. Well over 10k miles in, a decent amount on worse roads (gravel, nearly offroading, etc.) than 95% of Taycans will ever see, and zero paint damage.

I'm quite confident most people picking up chips on their car are playing follow the semi. Avoid hanging out around trucks and a ceramic coating is all you need, IMHO.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'm quite confident most people picking up chips on their car are playing follow the semi.
Sorry, sometimes I have to tailgate to avoid letting an asshole in. PPF it is.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My only regret is my installer left water spots under the hood PPF and ceramic coating. They wouldn't correct it without me paying for it because it took me a few weeks to notice when it was under a certain light. So just make sure you have reputable installer and one willing to stand behind their work.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My only regret is my installer left water spots under the hood PPF and ceramic coating. They wouldn't correct it without me paying for it because it took me a few weeks to notice when it was under a certain light. So just make sure you have reputable installer and one willing to stand behind their work.
Sounds like you need a new installer. Any reasonable, professional installer would have re-done it.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Yeah I have no regrets about my PPF, which the installer said doesn't need ceramic coating as the film itself is sufficiently coated / hydrophobic or whatever. The mountain roads around here get quite a lot of rock fall and while I've been careful you can't always avoid pebbles being kicked up. The PPF covers the whole car and is impossible to detect.

There are quite a few posts on here where people have substandard installations so it's going to be important to choose the company pretty carefully... and I would be careful shopping on price.