Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think the precool/heat is for the interior cabin, not preconditioning the battery.

The intent seems to be to have it at just the right temperature at your timer-defined departure time. (I shut this off as I don't want A/C water all over the garage.)
The precook/heat is actually conditioning the battery as well as the cabin. You will mostly see this in winter when the car is outside in cold weather. It makes quite a difference for the consumption as well as for regen and power available.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The precook/heat is actually conditioning the battery as well as the cabin. You will mostly see this in winter when the car is outside in cold weather. It makes quite a difference for the consumption as well as for regen and power available.
Precook ? :giggle: or hopefully precool ! Autocorrection or rather autoerror !

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Let me try and attempt to simplify this profile/timer craziness:

Timer: Sets a desired charge level and departure time. Optionally, sets the cabin temp.
Profile: Sets a minimum charge level, and optionally, a desired charge time frame.
One very minor correction - timer can optionally set charge level and/or optionally set cabin temp. It's possible to have a timer that is for the cabin only.

I believe (but have not tested) that preferred charging times only really make a difference if the departure timer is set for some time after the preferred charging time AND the car would be able to achieve the target charge during the preferred charging time window. In this case, it will start charging earlier. If the car calculates it cannot reach the target state within the preferred charging times window, I believe it will either start earlier or run past. In other words, the target charge in the timer has priority over preferred charging times. And as pointed out, so does the minimum charge level in the active profile - the car will immediately charge to that level without regard for preferred charging times.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
One very minor correction - timer can optionally set charge level and/or optionally set cabin temp. It's possible to have a timer that is for the cabin only.

I believe (but have not tested) that preferred charging times only really make a difference if the departure timer is set for some time after the preferred charging time AND the car would be able to achieve the target charge during the preferred charging time window. In this case, it will start charging earlier. If the car calculates it cannot reach the target state within the preferred charging times window, I believe it will either start earlier or run past. In other words, the target charge in the timer has priority over preferred charging times. And as pointed out, so does the minimum charge level in the active profile - the car will immediately charge to that level without regard for preferred charging times.
… and the minimum it will let you set is 25%. Sigh.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As an update to an earlier post, maybe you all know this, but I realized the "Profile" selecting preferred charge times is somewhat useless. If I set my timer to charge and be ready by a specific time, it begins to charge, not when I plug it in, but when it calculates it needs to begin to be done by the proscribed time. So what is the preferred charge times for? If you need your car, like I do, by 6am, it will begin to charge a couple of hours (if I'm down 10-15%) before and stop at 85% (6am). I don't know of any area that the best electric rates aren't in the middle of the night. What am I missing?

Thor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla S
Country flag
I love the car. But, the charging setup is crazy. I spent many hours trying to figure out this charging stuff. There are 6 variables, and it feels like I am solving a differential equation. It is over engineered. I hope the Porsche product managers read this forum. In the meanwhile, I was thinking of getting an EVSE to manage the charging time windows.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
As an update to an earlier post, maybe you all know this, but I realized the "Profile" selecting preferred charge times is somewhat useless. If I set my timer to charge and be ready by a specific time, it begins to charge, not when I plug it in, but when it calculates it needs to begin to be done by the proscribed time. So what is the preferred charge times for? If you need your car, like I do, by 6am, it will begin to charge a couple of hours (if I'm down 10-15%) before and stop at 85% (6am). I don't know of any area that the best electric rates aren't in the middle of the night. What am I missing?
This is exactly what I do. I don't use the profiles at all. I just use a simple timer. I set the timer for the car to be at 85% at 6:00am. It seems to work perfectly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is exactly what I do. I don't use the profiles at all. I just use a simple timer. I set the timer for the car to be at 85% at 6:00am. It seems to work perfectly.
Programming is simple just the concepts need to be understood first.

Profiles are useful in other scenarios as they are geo-location based. I have 2 set - Home and Alternative Home - which automatically get set with the relevant charging parameters when at either location. I also use a departure timer to ensure I charge within my free electricity period but that's all.
Sponsored