W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
i was watching a Matt Watson review of the EQS AMG and you could really see the rear wheels turn on that so it’s strange that it would be visually imperceptible on the Taycan. Appreciate different systems but still…
Indeed I mentioned that some months back on a different thread prior to EQS launch. You will not get this level of obvious turn on the Taycan and hard therefore to justify.
Sponsored

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
i was watching a Matt Watson review of the EQS AMG and you could really see the rear wheels turn on that so it’s strange that it would be visually imperceptible on the Taycan. Appreciate different systems but still…
I think the EQS has a far bigger range of movement than the Taycan.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I've noticed that RAS comes up as a question a lot, but PTV+ hardly does. I should start a thread on PTV+. :)

RAS does have a meaningful impact on turning radius and it's the primary reason why I'm waiting on an ordered car with RAS specced vs. taking a dealer stock car.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I have tight access to my driveway due to pillars which flank the entrance. Normally I need to swing out wide to align my car between the pillars. In the winter after a snow, I sometimes need to make a three point turn to get into the driveway.
But with my new Taycan with rear wheel steering I'm able to drive directly into the driveway. Considering that the Taycan is 7" longer than my Tesla model Y, the Taycan can make this turn without the wide out swing.
While not a critically important feature, it surely is nice to have and is one that I'll use everyday.

Last edited:

OP
OP
dpjrichards

dpjrichards

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I've noticed that RAS comes up as a question a lot, but PTV+ hardly does. I should start a thread on PTV+. :)

RAS does have a meaningful impact on turning radius and it's the primary reason why I'm waiting on an ordered car with RAS specced vs. taking a dealer stock car.
I did think about the PTV+ For the 4S CT as it adds the diff but how many real world uses does it have?

I thought RAS seemed like something that would make a genuine daily difference and what’s been said in the thread has confirmed that. I was kind of hoping people would say “Nah, don’t bother add XY or Z before that.” but knew the response was going to be positive about RAS.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I just added it to my spec. Car build Feb. I read quite a bit on it. have a look on YouTube you will see videos of Taycans with it and great explanations

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
I included Rear Axle Steering in my build after driving cars with and without it. It made a perceptible difference under normal driving. Cornering feel reminded me (in a good way) of a 718. Turns felt like they pivoted around the centre of the car which allowed for very precise positioning through turns. Traffic control chicanes could be taken at higher speeds without risking banging the rear wheels on the curbs. So, Rear Axle Steering = more fun :)

Mind you, I haven’t taken delivery yet so the notes above are based on extended test drives rather than long-term ownership experience.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have both a 981 Boxster S (718 was a backward step IMHO until they stuck a 6 cyl back in there) and a Taycan 4S (with RAS) - for me there isn't much on it for normal use.

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Rear axle steering is a £1650 option in the UK but comes with Power Steering Plus - a must have option in my opinion at £203.

Is the rear axle steering worth the extra £1447 for a car that will be primarily be used as a family car around town and venturing out to the countryside or would that be better used elsewhere?

I’m currently in the queue for both a 4S CT and GTS ST.
The UK/Europeans don’t know what they’re talking about when they talk about tight parking! I’m in Hong Kong where parking is at best a nightmare for many reasons. I didn’t spec the RWS. I can still park my Taycan, it’s a different beast to my previous car which was an Audi Q5 and was certainly more nimble. But it parks!

A grand in your pocket or maybe a 4 point turn instead of 3? ;-)

mas_gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Alot of time when I see a comparison between a car with RWS and no RWS, what not clear is did the car without RWS have PSP. Having driven a Taycan 4s with and without PSP, I can honestly say that it makes a day/night difference to the general handling/weight of the steering wheel.

What I am really trying to understand is how much of an incremental difference RWS makes to a car that already has PSP.

Can anyone comment on that?

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
Alot of time when I see a comparison between a car with RWS and no RWS, what not clear is did the car without RWS have PSP. Having driven a Taycan 4s with and without PSP, I can honestly say that it makes a day/night difference to the general handling/weight of the steering wheel.

What I am really trying to understand is how much of an incremental difference RWS makes to a car that already has PSP.

The two cars which I tested (see report above) both had Power Steering Plus

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Minimal during normal driving. Always have PSP at a minimum.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
@dpjrichards

Got my car yesterday and specifically was interested in testing the RAS - having also owned a couple of sport wagons in my past I had some basis for comparison but primarily just comparing it to my current M4 Vert. and can only say I was amazed at the turning radius of the CT with this feature - 100% happy with my choice.

Had to laugh as wish I'd have been able to snap a pic of my wife's face after I said, 'here we go' to test a particularly tight U-turn at a healthy speed - 'gob-smacked' about describes it :)

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag

Doesn’t PSP just adjust the number of turns of the steering wheel lock-to-lock, whereas the RWS actual shortens the wheelbase (effectively) resulting in a tighter turning circle?
Sponsored