First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey everyone.

Yesterday someone rear ended me on the freeway. Spirits are down to say the least.
My car was a Porsche Taycan 4S with about 15kmiles.
After the collision, SOS was called immediately without my initiation and authorities arrived in about 10mins. Kudos to Porsche for that.
My question is what does everyone think I should do. I wasn’t able to drive the car to the shoulder, the car had a bunch of error messages pop up including Electrical System fault. The towing company also had trouble towing the car since it wasn’t able to be driven.
The car will be looked at tomorrow by the estimator and insurance.
I love the car but I’m worried even after they say they can fix it I’ll run into issues with the electrical or mechanical down the road due to the accident. Just looking for advice from the more experienced on here. This was my first big luxury car purchase, love the car but don’t want to get too attached if I should be selling it or getting rid of it instead.
Attached are the pictures.

Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. 2D0AE7CF-C27C-4569-BD8A-BD1CEDE8C628

Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. 8DBAD3F6-9B7A-456E-9F12-926A7199DA1F

Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. 71CAB45A-38BB-4AE9-AF1D-C6229F8C6B7B

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Can’t help you with any advice, but damn that sucks!!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
We had a Panamera that was rear ended. We just fixed it and moved on.

I wouldn’t worry about future issues until they manifest.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I would let them try to fix it. Insist on OEM parts, and note the electrical system failures, which could just be issues with the damage to the rear sensors, which will get replaced anyway. The biggest challenge will be availability of parts adding to your wait. While they are at it, I would consider upgrading the rear bumper with the Turbo Conversion. Even if you want to sell it, you should get the work done.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Country flag
I've seen multiple cars with light damage like this get totaled in the last year or so because the salvage auction market is ridiculous.

Insurance company can write you a check and likely get almost the same amount at auction. As a bonus, they don't have to deal with you, the body shop, or any issues after the repair.

They don't just bang the dents out or swap parts. It's complicated.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/body-18553.html

Good luck and please update this thread!

This, for example, was $42k in damage. Totalled.
Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. img_1159_802fa42b2b99c968e9cc35f8636267ed1f585ead

Last edited:

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Just had my 6 week old car with less than 2k miles rear ended, not a Porsche. But I suggest going after the diminished value. You can put in a diminished value claim with the insurance company of the person who hit you, not your insurance.

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Hey everyone.

Yesterday someone rear ended me on the freeway. Spirits are down to say the least.
My car was a Porsche Taycan 4S with about 15kmiles.
After the collision, SOS was called immediately without my initiation and authorities arrived in about 10mins. Kudos to Porsche for that.
My question is what does everyone think I should do. I wasn’t able to drive the car to the shoulder, the car had a bunch of error messages pop up including Electrical System fault. The towing company also had trouble towing the car since it wasn’t able to be driven.
The car will be looked at tomorrow by the estimator and insurance.
I love the car but I’m worried even after they say they can fix it I’ll run into issues with the electrical or mechanical down the road due to the accident. Just looking for advice from the more experienced on here. This was my first big luxury car purchase, love the car but don’t want to get too attached if I should be selling it or getting rid of it instead.
Attached are the pictures.

2D0AE7CF-C27C-4569-BD8A-BD1CEDE8C628.jpeg

8DBAD3F6-9B7A-456E-9F12-926A7199DA1F.jpeg

71CAB45A-38BB-4AE9-AF1D-C6229F8C6B7B.jpeg
Sorry to read rear end hit. I had a 640i bmw rear ended. Based on photo your car is repairable but here is what you should know: choose is high end body shop for the repair, ask your dealer for referral. Do not let the insurance company choose. The car will require a new bumper and sensors
the body shop after repairing is required to send the car to the dealer to ensure all sensors work per Porsche specifications
the biggest issue will be the re sale value. A carfax report will follow the car and show a rear end accident. This will reduce the re sale value. Demand compensation for loss of value. You may have to retain an attorney to write a demand letter for you or handle yourself in small claims but i think loss of value will be 10-15 percent of cars value.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
You’ll be hard pressed to get “diminished value”. I’ve done it ONCE when a young texting teenager t boned my wife’s Model S. No one was hurt thankfully and most importantly. The insurance said no way to “prove diminished value” until you sell and offered me $1000. So I called their bluff, had them fix the car around $35,000 and then sold it for 10k under asking the average sale for clean carfax cars. They wrote me a check for 10k but it was a PITA.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
regarding insurance companies totaling cars. this was my model3 after being rear ended. they put almost $24k into the repairs and also gave me $4800 for diminished value. the process of assesment of damages, waiting for parts, finding more damage after taking the car apart, waiting for those parts kept the car off of the road for more than five months. they did an amazing job of repairing the car and it never drove poorly because of the damages that it took.
the damages that the OP's car took appear to be superficial, they need to check the chassis. I would check with the dealership and see if they have a preferred body repair shop.
Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. IMG_0172.JPG
Porsche Taycan Rear Ended. Need advice. IMG_0160.JPG

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
In my experience of getting cars repaired, repairs can be really close to factory, but there is always the thought that someone else has violated my car. I am always prepared for a tussle with the body shop because I'm OCD about the paint and fitment. Perhaps consult with @jenzfc shop. They seem to know their way around a taycan.

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've seen multiple cars with light damage like this get totaled in the last year or so because the salvage auction market is ridiculous.

Insurance company can write you a check and likely get almost the same amount at auction. As a bonus, they don't have to deal with you, the body shop, or any issues after the repair.

They don't just bang the dents out or swap parts. It's complicated.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/body-18553.html

Good luck and please update this thread!

This, for example, was $42k in damage. Totalled.
img_1159_802fa42b2b99c968e9cc35f8636267ed1f585ead.jpg
What?!

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Not to make light of the incident, but it isn't often that you see Saturn crash into Uranus. I'd have a look at the Taycan factory videos, see what kind of "stuff" is under the skin in the affected area, and then make a decision about pressing "Never-Pay" Ins. Co. to total the car. Personally, I'd be really concerned about damage on the side frames of the car -- all neatly assembled by high tech, precision robots. But the trunk lid and cheap-ass plastic bumper pieces, at least from the videos, appear to be factory installed by humans, so maybe not a big deal (assuming no damage to underlying structural components, e.g. the battery). Even if the car car be fully restored to factory specs, the whole thing still sucks. Hope you get back on the road soon!
Sponsored